Pretending to be a theist/neutral

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-02-2016, 07:35 PM
Pretending to be a theist/neutral
Haha seriously^ I can't tap into the Jewish market or Christian market of people because I'm not religious. It's a whole target market I'm missing out on prospecting. Wish I could just pretend to be Jewish and gain some Jewish clients, but I couldn't live with myself being deceitful like that.

"If you cannot explain it simply, you don't understand it enough" -Albert Einstein
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-02-2016, 07:40 PM
RE: Pretending to be a theist/neutral
(11-02-2016 07:35 PM)smileXsmileXsmile Wrote:  Haha seriously^ I can't tap into the Jewish market or Christian market of people because I'm not religious. It's a whole target market I'm missing out on prospecting. Wish I could just pretend to be Jewish and gain some Jewish clients, but I couldn't live with myself being deceitful like that.

Think of it as a role-playing game with real rewards.

'Murican Canadian
[+] 1 user Likes yakherder's post
11-02-2016, 09:26 PM
I work in a small Georgia town hospital. Church is BIG here. Everyone talks about church and pastors are always visiting and we have a church group that goes to the patients' rooms and sing on Sundays.... I usually just smile and play along. Care for my patients and their families come before my opinions. Most of my co-workers know I'm "not religious" and they are ok with it. Funny thing though... I have a large pewter cross necklace I wear, I also have a large tattoo of that same cross. When people see it they usually say "Oh, I love your cross. Are you a christian? where do you go to church?" My answer is always "My husband got this cross at Dragon*con when he was 16 yrs old. It looked like one on Dracula's castle! He thought it looked dark and evil. Instead of an engagement ring when we got engaged, he gave me this." The people in this little bible town don't know how to respond to that. haha!

Gods don't like people not doing much work. People who aren't busy all the time might start to think.
Terry Pratchett, Small Gods
[+] 1 user Likes rebel*ox's post
12-02-2016, 08:09 AM
(03-02-2016 08:25 PM)jennybee Wrote:  I have to play along for work myself right now. When I started at my current place of employment, I was a Christian. I wore a cross everyday and would do the whole I'll pray for so and so thing, God bless, thank god for miracles thing. I work with many older adults--not co-workers--clients. I also work closely with their families and have built a relationship with them (many of them are Christians). I am going to be leaving my employment in a few months due to relocating, but until then, I am still playing along like I am Christian. I don't wear a cross anymore and I don't go out of my way to do anything overtly Christian, but just haven't said I don't believe anymore. I don't love that I have to do that, but it is what it is. My co-workers, on the other hand, know I do not believe.

You're right to do this. Your clients may need a soft touch, and if they've developed a rapport with you over religion, it might just be best to let sitting dogs lie. It sounds like you've already taken steps back to distance yourself from your religion. Moving forward, people won't associate you with being "that religious person," and they'll just trust you for being you.