Pride Parade 2017

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-05-2017, 04:34 PM
Pride Parade 2017
I didn't know where to put it so I put it in this section.

So the Pride Parade in Dublin is next month (June).
At my work I am in the committee to organize our place in the parade. I am working for a company that is very openly supportive of the LGBT community and that is why I am involved. They are not doing it for political reasons or to have more supporters or to follow a trend, they do it because it is the right thing to do. And that is why I am on the committee.

So this year, I will actually be in the parade itself. We have a float so I will be on the float (cannot walk because of my injury).
I am absolutely hyped about it and am looking forward to it.

But in the face of all the recent terror attacks all over Europe, my husband voiced his concerns that maybe the parade could be hit etc. But in the same breath he was also saying that the terrorist attacks here in Europe follow a specific pattern (which I won't go into right now) but following this pattern, Ireland wouldn't make any sense.

So naturally I started thinking whether I should go or not. And I decided to go.
Terrorism's goal is to scare people into or away from specific things. I think LGBT acceptance is something I feel strongly for. I don't have a death wish but I will not give in to terror being spread all over my continent. I will not give in to hate mongering against the LGBT community. I will stand for LGBT rights, acceptance, and pride. I will have the fucking day of my life. I will party. And should the parade be hit, then my last breath was doing something great, something fun, and something with impact (quite fucking literally).

Now you tell me if I am being an idiot here but I feel I am doing the right thing.

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
- Wotsefack?! -
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Leerob's post
28-05-2017, 05:12 PM
Pride Parade 2017
Take pictures.
[+] 1 user Likes KUSA's post
28-05-2017, 05:33 PM
RE: Pride Parade 2017
I understand your concerns and your husband's concerns. If I was married to you, I'd be worried, too! It's so enraging that you have to worry about being bombed for what should be a fun and festive event. I very much hope that you have a lot of fun on this day.

I don't know how to express what I've written below. I feel the need to write it but I also don't want to discourage you from your event. I'll put my comment below, but please don't think I'm trying to discourage you!

My final comment unfortunately is reflective of my own reality. I live just outside of Boston, and since the Boston Marathon bombings I haven't been able to watch the Marathon, or even listen to the results until a few hours afterwards. I support it, give money to my friends who are running, but I can't listen to the actual race coverage. I get too nervous.
Of course Parade is not the same as a race.
[+] 2 users Like julep's post
28-05-2017, 05:35 PM
I understand your concerns. I am glad you are going, it sounds like so much fun Smile
My husband and I loved Dublin and hope to go back someday.

Post a pic of your float if you can!

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
28-05-2017, 05:40 PM
(28-05-2017 05:33 PM)julep Wrote:  My final comment unfortunately is reflective of my own reality. I live just outside of Boston, and since the Boston Marathon bombings I haven't been able to watch the Marathon, or even listen to the results until a few hours afterwards. I support it, give money to my friends who are running, but I can't listen to the actual race coverage. I get too nervous.
Of course Parade is not the same as a race.

My good friend was there supporting her sister (a runner) when the bombs went off. She can't even talk about the Marathon - past or present. She stays off social media before and shortly after the event. It's awful Sad

"If you don't have a seat at the table, you're probably on the menu."

[Image: parodia-michal-aniol-flying-spaghetti-monster.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes ShadowProject's post
28-05-2017, 05:41 PM
@julep: Not feeling discouraged. Also I understand how you feel about the marathon.

@ShadowProject: Let me know if you ever make it to Dublin again then. We'll go have a pint.

And yes of course I will post pictures.

- Wotsefack?! -
[+] 2 users Like Leerob's post
28-05-2017, 05:48 PM
I understand your worries in originally not wanting to go. But security will probably be pretty high in light of recent events. I think you are making the right decision to go and have fun and support the LGBT community. And as others have said, can't wait to see pictures Smile
28-05-2017, 05:54 PM
Don't let those cunts stop you from what you wanna do.
They're just jelly because they're not fabulous.

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
29-05-2017, 06:08 AM
My teenage daughter is going to the same event and I'm not going to stop her. That's what the bastards want. If we stop such events, concerts etc.... they win.

“The first duty of a man is to think for himself” ― José Martí
[+] 1 user Likes Marozz's post
29-05-2017, 08:57 AM
(29-05-2017 06:08 AM)Marozz Wrote:  My teenage daughter is going to the same event and I'm not going to stop her. That's what the bastards want. If we stop such events, concerts etc.... they win.
You from Dublin?

- Wotsefack?! -