Primate Fact of the Day

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
15-12-2015, 10:54 PM
RE: Primate Fact of the Day
(09-12-2015 03:33 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(09-12-2015 09:50 AM)Fireball Wrote:  Pope got a face lift! Lots more handsome.

The ladies love him.

Men hate him.

I don't really like going outside.
It's too damn "peopley" out there....
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-12-2015, 08:39 AM
This is an obscure reference. Hopefully people will get it...

Primate Fact of the Day #17 – The Male Proboscis Monkey, an old world species endemic to Borneo, has a large nose that can grow up to four inches long. The size is believed to serve as a marker of sexual attractiveness.

[Image: OYfaYM.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
27-12-2015, 05:05 PM
GE, have you read this book? It has been recommended to me.

“Last Ape Standing: The Seven-Million-Year Story of How and Why We Survived” by Chip Walter

"Over the past 150 years scientists have discovered evidence that at least twenty-seven species of humans evolved on planet Earth. These weren't simply variations on apes, but upright-walking humans who lived side by side, competing, cooperating, sometimes even mating with our direct ancestors. Why did the line of ancient humans who eventually evolved into us survive when the others were shown the evolutionary door?

Chip Walter draws on new scientific discoveries to tell the fascinating tale of how our survival was linked to our ancestors being born more prematurely than others, having uniquely long and rich childhoods, evolving a new kind of mind that made us resourceful and emotionally complex; how our highly social nature increased our odds of survival; and why we became self aware in ways that no other animal seems to be. Last Ape Standing also profiles the mysterious "others" who evolved with us-the Neanderthals of Europe, the "Hobbits" of Indonesia, the Denisovans of Siberia and the just-discovered Red Deer Cave people of China who died off a mere eleven thousand years ago.

Last Ape Standing is evocative science writing at its best-a witty, engaging and accessible story that explores the evolutionary events that molded us into the remarkably unique creatures we are; an investigation of why we do, feel, and think the things we do as a species, and as people-good and bad, ingenious and cunning, heroic and conflicted.”

http://www.amazon.com/Last-Ape-Standing-...e+standing

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 1 user Likes Full Circle's post
28-12-2015, 07:35 PM
(27-12-2015 05:05 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  GE, have you read this book? It has been recommended to me.

“Last Ape Standing: The Seven-Million-Year Story of How and Why We Survived” by Chip Walter

"Over the past 150 years scientists have discovered evidence that at least twenty-seven species of humans evolved on planet Earth. These weren't simply variations on apes, but upright-walking humans who lived side by side, competing, cooperating, sometimes even mating with our direct ancestors. Why did the line of ancient humans who eventually evolved into us survive when the others were shown the evolutionary door?

Chip Walter draws on new scientific discoveries to tell the fascinating tale of how our survival was linked to our ancestors being born more prematurely than others, having uniquely long and rich childhoods, evolving a new kind of mind that made us resourceful and emotionally complex; how our highly social nature increased our odds of survival; and why we became self aware in ways that no other animal seems to be. Last Ape Standing also profiles the mysterious "others" who evolved with us-the Neanderthals of Europe, the "Hobbits" of Indonesia, the Denisovans of Siberia and the just-discovered Red Deer Cave people of China who died off a mere eleven thousand years ago.

Last Ape Standing is evocative science writing at its best-a witty, engaging and accessible story that explores the evolutionary events that molded us into the remarkably unique creatures we are; an investigation of why we do, feel, and think the things we do as a species, and as people-good and bad, ingenious and cunning, heroic and conflicted.”

No, I haven't. It sounds really interesting. I'll check it out after I'm done reading the book that I'm currently chipping away at.
28-12-2015, 07:54 PM
Wonder which god created and then destroyed all those other peoples? Huh Guess they missed the ark. Facepalm
29-12-2015, 01:19 PM
(28-12-2015 07:35 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(27-12-2015 05:05 PM)Full Circle Wrote:  GE, have you read this book? It has been recommended to me.

No, I haven't. It sounds really interesting. I'll check it out after I'm done reading the book that I'm currently chipping away at.

I’d love to hear your take on it before I read it, I’d prefer to have a professional opinion before spending the time and money.

*Yes, you are the professional of which I speak Smile

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
29-12-2015, 06:27 PM
Very interesting thread. Although I won't remember half the things you said. Fun stuff. Thumbsup

I prefer fantasy, but I have to live in reality.
26-11-2016, 01:11 PM (This post was last modified: 26-11-2016 11:29 PM by ghostexorcist.)
It's been awhile since I did one of these.

Primate Fact of the Day #18 - Howler monkeys, a New World species native to Central and South America, are so named because their deep, guttural call can reach up to 90 decibels, which is almost as loud as a lawn mower. They would make a great Death Metal band.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VniisEVh72o

[Image: 2PkTH4.png]

Edit: I changed the video to something a little more fitting.
[+] 2 users Like ghostexorcist's post
26-11-2016, 01:29 PM
(26-11-2016 01:11 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  It's been awhile since I did one of these.

Primate Fact of the Day #18 - Howler monkeys, a New World species native to Central and South America, are so named because their deep, guttural call can reach up to 90 decibels, which is almost as loud as a lawn mower. They would make a great Death Metal band. Compare...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UdnwLX5m3G8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_HcPPYHsro

[Image: 2PkTH4.png]

Cool. I hope you start doing these again. Thumbsup

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
26-11-2016, 02:15 PM
(26-11-2016 01:29 PM)Dom Wrote:  Cool. I hope you start doing these again. Thumbsup

Thanks. I've had this one kicking around inside my head for the last few months. I'll try to think of another factoid to tackle.