Primatology class

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2014, 06:59 PM (This post was last modified: 27-09-2014 07:10 PM by ghostexorcist.)
RE: Primatology class
That last two trips to the zoo I've been trying to distinguish one macaque from another. They all look very similar, especially from a distance. Luckily my professor loaned me his $700 pair of binoculars. I used this in tandem with identification sheets to record differences in facial fur patterning. I got the sheet from the back of one of my text books:

[Image: Ic6Z9U.jpg]

One of our main tasks was to create an ethogram (list of behaviors) and a record sheet in order to begin collecting data. My ethogram includes both dominance and affiliative behaviors. They are as follows:

1. BND (Bounce Display) – Energetically bouncing up and down, usually performed on the highest point of the enclosure. This is a form of dominance behavior. It can be preceded or followed by Mounting.

2. SHD (Shake Display) – Using strength/body weight to shake a tree or rope within the enclosure. This is a form of dominance behavior. It can be preceded or followed by Mounting.

3. MNT (Mounting) – Climbing onto the hind quarters of an individual and symbolical pumping the hips. This is a non-sexual gesture that serves as a dominance behavior. This can be preceded or followed by Bounce or Shake Displays.

4. CHS (Chase) – Antagonistic pursuit of an individual. This can be preceded or followed by an Attack.

5. FLE (Flee) – Retreating from an antagonistic individual or situation. This can be preceded or followed by an Attack.

6. ATK (Attack) – The targeted biting, hitting, or pinching of an individual. This can be preceded or followed by a Chase.

7. APR (Approach) – An individual walking up to another individual. This can be preceded by Follow and proceeded by Displace. Combinations of Approach-Displace are indicators of the dominance hierarchy.

8. DIS (Displace) – An individual giving up their seated or reclining position to another individual. This can be preceded by Approach. Combinations of Approach-Displace are indicators of the dominance hierarchy

9. LEV (Leave) – Traveling from one location to another. This can be preceded by Approach, but can be a standalone action.

10. FLO (Follow) – The non-antagonistic following of an individual by another. This usually takes place between individuals who often stay in proximity to each other. It can be considered a type of affiliative behavior.

11. GRM (Grooming) – The combing through fur. This can be preceded by Copulation or the sharing of food. This is a type of affiliative behavior.

12. COP (Copulation) – Sexual intercourse that lasts for only a few seconds, but happens repeatedly. This is a type of affiliative behavior.

13. PRX (Proximity) – Sitting, laying, or standing within 1 meter of another individual. This is a type of affiliative behavior.

I will be using a mix of two different methods to collect my data. The first is "instantaneous sampling". This involves using a timer set to beep every minute and recording the behavior of a subject the instant after the beep. So, for instance, if they were grooming, I would write GRM in the column marked INSTANT. The second is "1/0 sample". This is recording behaviors that happen after the beep. If they happen, I write a 1 in the column. If not, I write a 0. I will be following each of the 6 macaque individuals for 25 minutes a piece.

[Image: 2uF2yg.png]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-09-2014, 08:32 PM
This is really interesting. Have you drawn out their distinguishing features yet? Im curious about what you'll use to tell them apart.

Atheism is the only way to truly be free from sin.
Find all posts by this user
27-09-2014, 08:34 PM
(27-09-2014 08:32 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  This is really interesting. Have you drawn out their distinguishing features yet? Im curious about what you'll use to tell them apart.

I have. I'll scan a few of the forms when I get home. I don't have access to a scanner at the moment.
[+] 1 user Likes ghostexorcist's post
27-09-2014, 08:38 PM
(27-09-2014 08:34 PM)ghostexorcist Wrote:  
(27-09-2014 08:32 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  This is really interesting. Have you drawn out their distinguishing features yet? Im curious about what you'll use to tell them apart.

I have. I'll scan a few of the forms when I get home. I don't have access to a scanner at the moment.

Cool Thumbsup

28-09-2014, 04:54 PM
I have scanned all of my ID sheets showing the distinguishing features of the 6 macaque faces. They were done on the fly with a pencil. I'll try to get some pictures of each in the future. In general, females tend to have red faces and a tan/blonde fur with variations in dark patterning around the face. They also have red backsides. Males have peach colored faces and are generally darker with tan/brown fur and peach backsides. The two males have differences in lighter colored patches around the temples and ears. The males are larger and skinnier than the females, but the two males differ in size due to differences in age.

I finally got around to naming each monkey--two males and four females. Their actual names (given by their home zoos) are Japanese, with the exception of the oldest female. I have these names, but I'm not sure which one is which (the keeper is never around during my study time), so I named the majority of them after characters from the TV show The Golden Girls. They are George, Blanche, Rose, Dorothy, and Sophia. The smallest male was given a generic name, Fred, because the only other male characters from the TV show were family members. I honestly don't know if any of the monkeys are related. I know Sophia isn't related to the other five as they are from a different institution, The Buffalo Zoo.

The shading on the sheets came out lighter in the scans for some reason.

[Image: 0dHV5d.jpg]
[Image: DZneV7.jpg]
[Image: yKa1Iw.jpg]
[Image: fFaSDG.jpg]
[Image: rxaRjf.jpg]
[Image: qg4oZT.jpg]
28-09-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks for sharing!

I told my boyfriend about the different macaques, and he wanted to know if you'd read The Sacred Monkeys of Bali? It's a book by a primatologist from UAB. Could be a good resource, though I can't personally vouch for it. Tongue

http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Monkeys-Bal...1577660595

28-09-2014, 06:07 PM
(28-09-2014 06:01 PM)Colourcraze Wrote:  Thanks for sharing!

I told my boyfriend about the different macaques, and he wanted to know if you'd read The Sacred Monkeys of Bali? It's a book by a primatologist from UAB. Could be a good resource, though I can't personally vouch for it. Tongue

http://www.amazon.com/Sacred-Monkeys-Bal...1577660595

No haven't, but thanks for telling me about it. I'll add it to my reading list because a personal project of mine involves collecting primate folklore from all over the world.
11-11-2014, 11:18 PM
I haven't posted of any of my data thus far because it wouldn't make any sense to most people. I'll wait until I've started analyzing the data before I add anything here. That will be shortly. Also, on a sad note, one of my monkeys died. The adult male chased an older female into the moat. She was okay when the workers took her inside (macaques are excellent swimmers), but they found her dead the next morning. They are not sure what ultimately killed her. I can't say I'm heartbroken; it's kind of hard to get emotionally attached to individuals who do nothing but fight and screw (and sometimes both). My only wish is that her death was peaceful.