Principal Apologizes For Mock Auction of Black Students in Virginia

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2011, 10:09 AM

Principal Apologizes For Mock Auction of Black Students in Virginia
NORFOLK, Va. - The superintendent of Norfolk, Va., schools apologized Saturday for a controversial classroom lesson involving the mock auction of black students.

Apparently, during a fourth grade teacher's lesson on the Civil War, students were separated by race. White students on one side and African American and mixed-race students on the other, who were then offered up for auction, Virginia's Fox 43 news reports.(Full Article)

Ridiculous! Way to send the message that the real history lesson isn't all that important!
I wonder if when presenting the Civil War "history" if the teachers are required to refer to the slaves as, "African Americans"?

At least this article is a great lesson so as to promote home schooling.
Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2011, 06:22 PM
RE: Principal Apologizes For Mock Auction of Black Students in Virginia
Those damn PC bastards, ruining a good thing and a legitimate educational experience. Next thing you know, the stupid PC crowd won't let us tattoo the arms and shave the heads of the Jewish kids when teaching about the Holocaust. I mean how can you expect kids to learn about these things if you can't embarrass and humiliate representatives of the people who were enslaves, tortured, murdered. etc. No wonder the US is falling behind in education.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2011, 07:07 PM

Funny, I didn't think of public school children as representatives of a race of people forced to enter America in chains.

Rather, I thought these were black American children afforded a public school education who were there to learn about the history of a race of people who helped to build the America they enjoy now.
That to mimic what befell those slaves back in the day, so those children could fully comprehend the conflict of the time, the bite of slavery, the segregation of the races between those who were white and privileged and those who were dark and owned. So that feeling what that was like, as a play of sorts, would drive home the lesson about all of those events that transpired to make what is erroneously remembered as a "Civil" war!

And sure, aside from shaving the heads because parents could rightly object to that, teaching Jewish kids about the Holocaust pretending to "tattoo" numbers on their arms, and setting them in their chairs so as to be segregated while wearing yellow paper stars, while other peers wear pink triangles, crosses, and all those former insignias that relegated many people, not just Jews, to suffer the Holocaust, would also teach the lesson about that dark period in history. And it would lend an indelible impression one may assume, as to why it can never be let to happen again.

As would the slavery re-enactment. Because if the children are indeed our future, for that to be more than a slogan they should learn, really understand, what it means to never let some histories be repeated!

What better way than to let them feel how it felt, so they take it personally and get that message. America isn't number one in education, because it pays to dumb our children down. PC BS isn't going to change that. It's going to promote that. What insults American education systems is that at this point we appear to believe it's politically correct to raise dumb kids, who very often can't find their home country on a blank world map.
Who don't know who the 38th President was. Who can't do simple math on paper, because they've grown accustomed not to thinking, but to keying calculators, their smart phones, or laptops. Who can't spell, because "spell check" does it for them.

Yes indeed, PC does have it's place. As a learning tool for what to incorporate into a scholastic environment, if one wants to be politically correct and intellectually stunted.

America! The greatest nation in the world kids!
Hey, can you find this nation on a blank world map?
No? Well, that's OK, it's not nice to point anyway.
[+] 1 user Likes GassyKitten's post
12-04-2011, 01:00 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2011 01:23 PM by BnW.)
So, basically, if you're not fortunate enough to have black kids in your school you can use as props, you'll just never understand the horrors of slavery? Is that it?

I can't wait to see how they teach the civil rights movement. Maybe they should send the black kids to a different school for a while in an older, broken down building because otherwise they can't, you know, really appreciate the history.

12-04-2011, 02:56 PM

(12-04-2011 01:00 PM)BnW Wrote:  So, basically, if you're not fortunate enough to have black kids in your school you can use as props, you'll just never understand the horrors of slavery? Is that it?
Interactive learning, play acting the roles of history so as to absorb the lesson about history, stands to have a better result in retention of the information contained in the lesson than that what's been used so far as traditional methods of teaching, so that our students rank 14th out of 34 participant nations on the OECD table. And ranked #1? South Korea!

So if what's always been done isn't working, nor retarding drop out rates, trying a new route is simply a matter of trying to reach the kids by teaching the kids in a way they can really get into.

The racists who see black kids as humiliated because they're being relegated to the slave status so familiar to their race, is the problem. No child in public school today, their parent, nor their grandparent, was ever a slave. No white child, their parent, nor their grandparent ever owned a slave. Which by the way, "Master" wasn't strictly a white thing, when freed blacks owned black slaves.

What's humiliating should be the deplorable state of the American public school ranking, in a nation that proclaims itself to be the greatest in the world. When it's children are not as intelligent as those in South Korea, Estonia, Poland or even Canada! To name but a few of those countries that arrive in the top to 13 range.

Kids like to be challenged. When you've volunteered in a school and watch what happens when teachers drone on about the history lesson, have kids turn to their books, or pull up a website for graphic imagery, Oh no, can't humiliate them by showing them real graphic pictures of the Vietnam war! That's just wrong!
The kids grow bored, distracted, and even some go online amazingly enough, while hidden behind their monitor screens. And the teacher, often overburdened by a huge class who aren't really paying attention, doesn't even see it. If they care to notice, or if they do, even if they care to say something about it. They want out of there. And their lessons show it, but not as much as the tests later.

Interactive learning, brings the history home in a real life recreation. It's like using plays, to deliver the lesson. The racists, who see kids as offspring of slaves, aren't teaching anything but to further the victim complex. Showing kids what slavery was, and why a war was fought in part to rescind that horrific practice, is a unique way of teaching where kids will pay attention.

Only the racists see History as one sided. Promoting that the white race is superior in all things and so every other race of student would be subject to humiliation were the interactive model continued in a History class, isn't anything scholastic achievement needs concern itself with. Racists will always exist in this world.

The way to empower today's children, of any race, of any creed, is to show them and let them be a part of what history was like when ignorance thought it had the upper hand and the right to humiliate people and treat them as property. Emancipation empowers the child to be part of that historic reenactment, (Oh damn, those civil war re-enactors are just humiliating the blacks who care to participate.Someone should do something about whoever it is that force those black folks to play those slave roles! I mean, what do those re-enactments accomplish anyway? Teaching something about the civil war? Is that important?*looks around*) so they can learn how long ago it was that things were different from today. And how fortunate we all are that America has evolved as a nation, a government and a culture, away from those histories generations ago.

I'd like to see a suffragist re-enactment in a classroom. So that the young girls of today can understand how not that long ago, their sex was considered second class citizen, property, without rights, without the vote, without the right to inherit property. But with the destiny of being property as wife, even in many cases through prearranged marriages that occurred often times before she was born to ultimately become marital property.
The girls could play their roles and the boy's theirs.

Oh darn, that would humiliate the girls who are where they are today, because their mothers were liberated by the history that is alive on the page, and present for the affect it had on the future, right now.

Well shucks, we can't teach that! Because young girls might learn something and become empowered women for the trouble, because it would be humiliating to think their great grandmothers history was real, and so to re-enact it personally so as to somehow feel closer to that great grandmother and what she suffered and what women struggled to free her from, and thereby seek to empower that young lady of today to become an empowered educated woman later, would be wrong!

While projecting racist victimization models so as to then insist children remain in a teaching environment being instructed in a manner that doesn't merit retention skills or higher grade averages consistently, so as to avoid any chance of humiliation by switching to a more effective interactive role play model and perhaps see a change in all that, is simply the best way to teach everyone concerned to stay with what doesn't work, so as to avoid those nasty PC issues that take precedent over education of our future. Big Grin

*edit missing word for phrasing*
[+] 2 users Like GassyKitten's post
12-04-2011, 04:54 PM

(12-04-2011 02:56 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  Interactive learning, brings the history home in a real life recreation. It's like using plays, to deliver the lesson. The racists, who see kids as offspring of slaves, aren't teaching anything but to further the victim complex. Showing kids what slavery was, and why a war was fought in part to rescind that horrific practice, is a unique way of teaching where kids will pay attention.

I agree with you about the importance of interactive learning, but it does need to handled very carefully. You must be familiar with the Stanford prison experiment, where ordinary people were given the role of guards and prisoners. Both groups really got into their roles, the guards becoming more aggressive and the prisoners more passive, to the point where prisoners were subjected to physical abuse by the guards.

No doubt the black kids got a visceral idea of slavery, but you have to wonder what it might do to the white kids' ideas as well. Possibly not quite what this obviously well-meaning teacher had in mind, although the control and relative shortness of this recreation would probably negate any ill-effects. Still, you have to be careful, particularly where issues of social identity and the value placed on them are concerned.

And there was a school experiment, Jane Elliot's blue-eyed/brown-eyed exercise, where children were divided into these two groups and the blue eyes favoured. Really, this is scary stuff, and an untrained school teacher should not be messing with it.

Letting the kids see a play about a slave auction would be the safer option, allowing a natural empathy for the slaves without putting the kids into specific roles.

I part company completely with you in saying that those who might object are racist. True, slavery is history, but we are our history, and it's impossible not to take that into account. Redundant memes as well as genes are still part of who we are.

The best we can do is work with the ones that offer the greatest hope of human dignity and happiness.
12-04-2011, 05:17 PM
This has nothing to do with interactive learning, finding new ways to teach kids, or how the US fares vs. the world in education, which I agree is deplorable.

(12-04-2011 02:56 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  The racists who see black kids as humiliated because they're being relegated to the slave status so familiar to their race, is the problem.

So, there is your view of this and everyone who disagrees is a racist. Got it.

(12-04-2011 02:56 PM)GassyKitten Wrote:  No child in public school today, their parent, nor their grandparent, was ever a slave. No white child, their parent, nor their grandparent ever owned a slave.

So why then if you are teaching kids about slavery in general and no one can personally relate to the issue do you automatically just single out the black kids to be the slaves? If no one has any family or even distant family attached to this, why are you singling out just one group? How is that not demeaning? And, again, what about the schools that don't have black kids to use as props? Do they just never learn? How does a homogenous society like Korea learn about slavery if they don't have some group to point out?

You can try to dress this up any way you want with teaching standards, retention and photos of the Viet Nam war but none of that has anything to do with what happened here. I don't know what the teacher was thinking here and am willing to assume just negligence or ignorance but there is no way this was ok. And, the lesson to be learned here if you are one of her black students is that you are different and will be singled out.

12-04-2011, 07:05 PM
I had that lesson in primary school. Except there wasn't in black kids in my primary school so they auctioned off the blonde haired people instead. Same lesson basics though.

[Image: sigone_zps207cf92c.png]

Leonard Nimoy
1931-2015
Live long and prosper.
12-04-2011, 08:24 PM
I really don't think it's a big issue, I would have liked to see more details on how this was performed, but given the information it really sounds fine to me. Perhaps she should have just given them numbers or drew names from a hat or something, but does it really matter? No, the kids won't know the difference, and it is more historically accurate the way she did it.
12-04-2011, 08:38 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2011 08:54 PM by DeepThought.)
I don't see what the big deal is. It's just role playing.

I think the PC crowd is probably making more fuss about this and any of the black kids parents combined.
Aren't we already over this slave ownership crap already? Why carry around this bullshit baggage through history and have to act all hypersensitive.

So BnW.. if your not hypersensitive and offended about silly shit like this then you are racist?

I want to live in a world where words like race and racist aren't needed anymore. Then people can role play and it doesn't matter what skin or eye color you have. FFS how long does it take to kill the past!

Maybe I'm just an impatient bastard...
[Image: angry-cat.jpg]
I just thought i'd throw this in! It's a little random but sometimes I amuse myself.
[+] 1 user Likes DeepThought's post