Privacy question

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Privacy question
How private are our PMs?

Are they available for mods, veterans, or admins to read? Or are they really private?

Thanks.

I'm not anti-social. I'm pro-solitude. Sleepy
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-05-2013, 05:33 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2013 08:38 PM by GirlyMan.)
RE: Privacy question
They're all stored in a database on the backend so the database administrator(s) at least has access. That's DeepThought and maybe Chas (think Chas was playing DBA while DT was on sabbatical). The DBA also has the ability to control which other users have access to them. From what I've seen of DeepThought and Chas here, I doubt they opened access to PMs up to any other users or groups just as I doubt they've ever been tempted to read them themselves.

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-05-2013, 05:36 PM
Got something you want to hide, Anjele? Big Grin

Your secrets are safe with all of us.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
"Anti-environmentalism is like standing in front of a forest and going 'quick kill them they're coming right for us!'" - Jake Farr-Wharton, The Imaginary Friend Show.
20-05-2013, 05:39 PM
I read yours every morning, Anjele, while I have my coffee. I need something to open my eyes in the morning, and what an eye-opener!

Just kidding

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
20-05-2013, 05:39 PM
(20-05-2013 05:33 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  They're all stored in a database on the backend so the database administrator at least has access. That's DeepThought and maybe Chas (think Chas was playing DBA while DT was on sabbatical). The DBA also has the ability to control which other users have access to them. From what I've seen of DeepThought and Chas here, I doubt they opened access to PMs up to any other users or groups just as I doubt they've ever been tempted to read them themselves.

I cracked open the db and have printed out all the PMs. I will be publishing an autographed leather-bound edition of "The Best TTA PMs" later this year. Yes

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
20-05-2013, 05:43 PM
(20-05-2013 05:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How private are our PMs?

Are they available for mods, veterans, or admins to read? Or are they really private?

Thanks.

The PMs are likely accessible with some effort. I wouldn't PM anything about illegal activities, but I would have no issue with highly personal things.

No one that I know of has bothered to look, and I wouldn't expect any of our forum management to ever do so.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-05-2013, 06:05 PM
(20-05-2013 05:24 PM)Anjele Wrote:  How private are our PMs?

Thanks.

I've no idea. I've never noticed any buttons that look like they could access them but I've never looked either.

I guess Deep would know.

Best and worst of Ferdinand .....
Best
Ferdinand: We don't really say 'theist' in Alabama. Here, you're either a Christian, or you're from Afghanistan and we fucking hate you.
Worst
Ferdinand: Everyone from British is so, like, fucking retarded.
20-05-2013, 06:22 PM
Completely private as far as I know, I've never seen a way to view them, then again i've never thought to look for one.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]
20-05-2013, 07:14 PM (This post was last modified: 20-05-2013 08:34 PM by GirlyMan.)
(20-05-2013 06:05 PM)Hughsie Wrote:  I've no idea. I've never noticed any buttons that look like they could access them but I've never looked either.
(20-05-2013 06:22 PM)FSM_scot Wrote:  Completely private as far as I know, I've never seen a way to view them, then again i've never thought to look for one.

Good. That means Deep/Chas ain't given none of you access. And DBAs don't use silly things like buttons, it's a simple SQL query. Tongue

(20-05-2013 05:43 PM)Chas Wrote:  The PMs are likely accessible with some effort. I wouldn't PM anything about illegal activities, but I would have no issue with highly personal things.

Yup. But that raises another question. Where is the server based? Seth's in OK, USA and Deep's in Melbourne, Land of Oz. If it's in the USA goddam Big Brother DOJ could likely use the Patriot Act to subpoena the database if they had probable cause or reasonable suspicion. Not sure whether Oz could or would cooperate with such a request. We should move the forum to hardware based in Eastern Europe, no Big Brother gonna get access there. Filox and Vera's homes come to mind. Big Grin

As it was in the beginning is now and ever shall be, world without end. Amen.
And I will show you something different from either
Your shadow at morning striding behind you
Or your shadow at evening rising to meet you;
I will show you fear in a handful of dust.
20-05-2013, 07:17 PM
Unless something seriously dodgy has happened I don't see any good reason to find a way to access someone's PM's Its called private for a reason.

Behold the power of the force!
[Image: fgYtjtY.gif]