Pro-Life Atheists?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-01-2011, 01:05 PM
RE: Pro-Life Atheists?
(01-01-2011 03:40 PM)The Doctor Wrote:  Well I am an atheist Buddhist. Which means I am pro-life, but I will not force my ideals. I believe it is a woman's choice to have an abortion.

I agree that it should be a choice. Not only the woman's, but that is a different issue. What I feel is important is that must not be a rash decision. People need to be made aware of what the consequences of their decisions are.

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-01-2011, 09:49 PM
I'm just curious what the general consensus is so far.

Hey brother christian, with your high and mighty errand, your actions speak so loud, I can't hear a word you're saying.

"This machine kills fascists..."

"Well this machine kills commies!"
17-01-2011, 07:00 AM

I am pro-choice all the way. While I don't think it's right if a woman gets an abortion towards the end of the pregnancy (if the baby could be delivered prematurely, but still survive and go to a normal healthy person) it should still be her decision. If someone gets raped or finds out the baby will have severe health issues then I think it's in the best interest to the parent(s) and baby to consider abortion. I am a male so I really don't have the insight or ability to ever experience giving birth, but the thought of a woman being raped by some monster and then giving birth to his seed just creeps me the hell out.

I can't recall exactly how Sam Harris put it in his book, but I agree 100% with his view especially regarding stem cell research (which I believe is a topic that should not be grouped in with abortion.)
Quote this message in a reply
21-01-2011, 05:44 AM
eeeeeew! a bot just quoted me! I feel so....dirty! Sad

I want to rip off your superstitions and make passionate sense to you
24-01-2011, 09:59 AM
(21-01-2011 05:44 AM)ThinkingNorseman Wrote:  eeeeeew! a bot just quoted me! I feel so....dirty! Sad

Got rid of it just for you!

So many cats, so few good recipes.
24-01-2011, 10:20 AM
(17-01-2011 07:00 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I am pro-choice all the way. While I don't think it's right if a woman gets an abortion towards the end of the pregnancy (if the baby could be delivered prematurely, but still survive and go to a normal healthy person) it should still be her decision.

I did not notice this before.

So, why does it end at the day the baby is born. What if a week later the mom decides she made a mistake. Should she be granted a grace period where she can kill the kid and still call it a choice and an abortion?

What is really the difference between a baby that is ready to enter the world and one that is a week old? Or, for that matter, two weeks old? Isn't it oppression to make a woman take care of a kid she decided she did not want?

(17-01-2011 07:00 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I can't recall exactly how Sam Harris put it in his book, but I agree 100% with his view especially regarding stem cell research (which I believe is a topic that should not be grouped in with abortion.)

I don't know how Harris put it either but I agree that stem cell research is an entirely different topic then abortion. I don't understand the conjoining of them at all, but admittedly I can be rather dense at times.

Shackle their minds when they're bent on the cross
When ignorance reigns, life is lost
28-01-2011, 06:47 AM

(24-01-2011 10:20 AM)BnW Wrote:  
(17-01-2011 07:00 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I am pro-choice all the way. While I don't think it's right if a woman gets an abortion towards the end of the pregnancy (if the baby could be delivered prematurely, but still survive and go to a normal healthy person) it should still be her decision.

I did not notice this before.

So, why does it end at the day the baby is born. What if a week later the mom decides she made a mistake. Should she be granted a grace period where she can kill the kid and still call it a choice and an abortion?

What is really the difference between a baby that is ready to enter the world and one that is a week old? Or, for that matter, two weeks old? Isn't it oppression to make a woman take care of a kid she decided she did not want?

(17-01-2011 07:00 AM)Free_Thinker Wrote:  I can't recall exactly how Sam Harris put it in his book, but I agree 100% with his view especially regarding stem cell research (which I believe is a topic that should not be grouped in with abortion.)

I don't know how Harris put it either but I agree that stem cell research is an entirely different topic then abortion. I don't understand the conjoining of them at all, but admittedly I can be rather dense at times.

Look, if abortion must be a black and white issue, I would have to argue that I am strictly in the grey about it. I don't have children (yet), I am a male (I would not know what it is like to carry a child, or give birth). If Miss X gets raped and finds out 2 weeks later that she is pregnant and wants an abortion then ABSOLUTELY I think she should have the right to it. If MRS Z breaks up with her BF after 6months of being pregnant with his baby well I think that is generally too far along and she should probably do the right thing (not just for the child, but likely for her own sanity) and keep the child. I also believe that if a baby is going to be severly deformed or mentally handicapped that abortion should have a special exemption (I am a believer in Euthanasia-to a degree.)

If I was a doctor or scientist I would be able to give you a better answer of "when" I personally think there should or shouldn't be an abortion, but I am not so consider my opinions a generalization. If I was a politician like Stephan Harper (Canada's PM) I would do like him and simply never bring up the issue.
28-01-2011, 09:00 AM
I think that is a very fair answer, but it is vastly different from what you said above.

And, I agree with you that this is far from a black and white issue. I have no idea what the exact correct answer is and I doubt there is one "correct" answer to this issue. I think it varies from person to person and circumstance to circumstance. Reasonable people can disagree on where the lines should be drawn and both sides can still have a reasonable and thoughtful position on the issue.

Unfortunately the public debate on this issue is not driven by reasonable minds but by the fringe elements on both sides. You have the hard right who argues that absolutely no pregnancy should ever be terminated regardless of circumstances and you have the hard left who argues that all pregnancies may be terminated no matter how far along you are if that is what the woman chooses and no one else gets any voice in the matter and if a woman wants to use abortion as birth control that is just fine with them. So it's no wonder that that no reasonable discussion really ever takes place.

28-01-2011, 09:14 AM

truth be told... its a legal medical procedure, upheld by the supreme court and nobody has the right to obstruct any citizen from going about their lawful business.
28-01-2011, 09:25 AM
Lots of things that are legal become illegal and vice versa, though. And, Roe v. Wade and the subsequent decisions that followed did not grant an absolute right to abortion up until the baby is born. Finally, the entire decision is probably one Supreme Court vote from being completely over turned and thrown back to the states. So, a response that basically equates to "it's legal, deal with it" is really missing the point.