Pro Wrestling

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-11-2016, 11:28 AM
Pro Wrestling
I could have sworn we already had a pro wrestling thread, but I can't find it.

Anyway, I used to watch this stuff back in the 1970s, but grew out of it. Even then, I knew it was fake, but it was still fun to watch.

Anyway, I was up in Eau Claire, Wisconsin this last weekend for a chess tournament, and on Saturday night, I lost quickly and had some time to kill, so I went to hang out in the hotel bar (only open from 6-10 PM). Turns out the bartender used to be a pro wrestler. He went by the name of Minos the Undead. I never heard of him, but I think he was after my time. I'm just curious if any of the other wrestling fans here know of him. He was a cool guy with a lot of interesting stories. I had a blast talking to him and reminiscing about the wrestlers of the 1970s (he was a fan back then too).
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-11-2016, 12:30 PM
RE: Pro Wrestling
The real question is, why is this in Sports? Shouldn't this post be in the skeptic's subforum?

Wink

I was a Ricky Steamboat guy as a kid.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-11-2016, 12:36 PM
I puzzled over whether to put it under Sports or TV & Movies. I looked in both for the old thread, but couldn't find it. I don't think "Skeptics, etc." is the right place for it, though. There isn't any debate as to whether or not it's fake -- everyone knows it is.
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
29-11-2016, 12:37 PM
(29-11-2016 12:30 PM)WillHopp Wrote:  The real question is, why is this in Sports? Shouldn't this post be in the skeptic's subforum?

Wink

I was a Ricky Steamboat guy as a kid.

I liken a pro wrestling event to a live stunt show, is the outcome predetermined yes but anyone who thinks this is fake needs to go to a local wrestling school (Al Snow has several all over the country) for a month and see what it's like to take bumps.

Steamboat is on the short list for GOAT up there with Ric Flair and Steve Austin.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
29-11-2016, 12:38 PM
My late father-in-law loved it, and got so worked up over it back in golden age of wrestling that once he went to a live match and punched a guy who fell out of the ring. Cops grabbed him and took him into a back room until he calmed down.

Check out my now-defunct atheism blog. It's just a blog, no ads, no revenue, no gods.
----
Atheism promotes critical thinking; theism promotes hypocritical thinking. -- Me
29-11-2016, 12:40 PM
Remember the Andy Kaufman stunt? Good times.

My brother also helped build Hulk Hogan's mansion here in the Tampa Bay Area. A lot of pro wrestlers live here in Florida.

----
29-11-2016, 12:51 PM
I watched as a kid, I remember Ric (woo!) Flair, Ox Baker, Andre The Giant, Rowdy Roddy Piper, etc.
We knew they were fake back then and we would laugh and laugh at their over- exaggerated antics.
29-11-2016, 12:53 PM
The choreography and athletic ability was pretty remarkable, but it just couldn't sustain my attention long enough because of the predetermined nature. It was entertaining. My stepson got into Goldberg when he was all the rage and I watched a little then to bond with him, but it wasn't the same.

----
29-11-2016, 01:00 PM

This is not a video game this was a live event.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
29-11-2016, 01:07 PM
(29-11-2016 01:00 PM)Revenant77x Wrote:  

This is not a video game this was a live event.

I remember Jerry Blackwell (big 400-pounder) doing that sort of thing back in the 70s. Of course, he didn't get as high in the air. But I don't care how fake it is, that's got to hurt.