Pro Wrestling thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 06:02 AM
RE: Pro Wrestling thread
Well, since the thread is back up and I recently saw friends on Facebook cheering for some guy "fighting" another guy, I ask:

Why the fuck would anyone cheer for anyone and argue about who is better if it's all staged? I mean, ugh.

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes undergroundp's post
18-09-2017, 06:21 AM
(18-09-2017 06:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Why the fuck would anyone cheer for anyone and argue about who is better if it's all staged? I mean, ugh.

I remember as a kid doing just that Big Grin back in the 70s in the UK it was really popular, My favourite wrestler was Big Daddy, when he "won" he would clap his hands and say easy, easy, easy, and the audience would join in. He was absolutely massive and he always wore what I would describe as a ladies swimming costume haha.
It was definitely all staged, but I think that was part of it's charm.

Get your own bleeding hymn book
[+] 1 user Likes Thedemonbarber's post
18-09-2017, 07:54 AM
(18-09-2017 06:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well, since the thread is back up and I recently saw friends on Facebook cheering for some guy "fighting" another guy, I ask:

Why the fuck would anyone cheer for anyone and argue about who is better if it's all staged? I mean, ugh.
WELL!

Yeah, we all know its Rigged. It's just another form of entertainment really, much like any TV show or Movie with a clear good guy/bad guy dynamic. And even then you don't have to favor a certain person just because they're good...you can like whoever you want. Its the as to why people want Jon Snow to be king in GOT and we all hate certain people, it's all done for the long term story/effect.

If it's not for you, its cool. Many things aren't for me but I don't go to into a magic show and complain it's rigged, as to me (whilst it's a different genre) the execution is the same: you [or I in particular] want to be 'lost' in the excitement of it all.

So yeah, haha. I could go on, as I used to BE a pro wrestler at one point as well, but it's a lot of things to a lot of people, in the same way any TV show/entertainment outlet is.

If you have any questions let me know, I'm happy to answer Big Grin

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
18-09-2017, 08:05 AM
(18-09-2017 06:02 AM)undergroundp Wrote:  Well, since the thread is back up and I recently saw friends on Facebook cheering for some guy "fighting" another guy, I ask:

People get into knife fights over who would win Goku or Superman. The fact that neither is real doesn't factor into it. At least in this case a real fight is possible if unlikely.

(31-07-2014 04:37 PM)Luminon Wrote:  America is full of guns, but they're useless, because nobody has the courage to shoot an IRS agent in self-defense
[+] 1 user Likes Revenant77x's post
18-09-2017, 08:39 AM
Going by that logic, no fictional TV shows make sense. People can't cheer if Sam and Dean kill a shape shifter on "Supernatural" because they're not real and demons aren't real. Can't say Jon Snow is a good leader because he's not real. Meredith Grey? Eh, not a real doctor anyway so that show is stupid. Stage magicians are dumb because they didn't actually make that quarter disappear. He just hid it in his pocket. I probably shouldn't tip my waitress because she may only pretend to like me.

I can't watch when Antigone is treated badly on stage because she's not real. Hamlet didn't do anything because, well, that's just a fictional version.

So only reality shows, game shows, and news should be watched.
[+] 2 users Like Clockwork's post
18-09-2017, 08:54 AM

I used to think the same thing until my little brother (who was a huge wrestling fan at the time) begged me to take him to a wrestling event with the wrestling "super stars" that were making an appearance at a local arena. Being a good big sister Tongue I said yes, even though I was like ugh.

When the wrestling event started, it was like a surge of excitement in the crowd and the wrestling "heroes" and "villains" really played to the crowd. My brother had his favorites who he really wanted to "win"--but I think (like others have said) it was like watching two characters in a movie go at it when all of that excitement unfolds on screen. After going to the event, I could understand the excitement all the fans were feeling.

It really isn't any different than any other form of entertainment. I love the Walking Dead for instance, and I sit on the edge of my seat wondering what will happen next even though I know it is all make-believe. I can see how it's the same for a wrestling event. Fans get heavily involved in the character and persona of the wrestler and want him/her to win. They want to see the drama unfold with the villain. Not much unlike WD, really, just a different venue.

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 2 users Like jennybee's post
18-09-2017, 09:10 AM
It's hard to explain to people, as well as for others to understand, but those guys/gals involved in pro-wrestling, some are genuinely better at it than others as well, so depending on the type of fan you encounter [Which normally be: 1. those that still think it's real or 2. those in the know and they are talking about the people themselves and not the charecters on TV, if that makes any sense] the concept of some of the conversations are hard to get sometimes as well.

For example: Pro wrestling is two people 'pretend' fighting. BUT, mostly [and if you're good at it/willing to be considered good] it's full contact. Are some of the punches pulled a bit? Yep. Do some just full on pretend and look total shite, yes the do. But the guys who are considered good, will legit tap you to some degree.

Take a "knife edge chop". The idea is the slap the other guy on the chest, so it makes a load noise for the crowd to hear and react. How do they do that? Well they take the open palm of their hand....and slap the living shit out of a persons chest. How hard normally depends of the reaction they want/how much they like you as a person lol. That goes with all the "moves" as well. How hard you get physically punched/slammed/hit with chairs (Spoiler alert: Tables and chairs are really made out of actual wood and metal, and hurt alot also) is down to the other person as well, so it's about A)Trust and B) just taking it as it comes. As it's a show for others, you can't just walk off mid-match because something hurt too much.....you take it and carry on. The Blood is 100% real, normally caused by those cutting themselves during a match in [mostly] hidden places to cause a bleed following a big shot, although as you can imagine you might get busted open "the hard way" as well.

Most matches are made up on the fly as well, with most workers only being given the "finish" ('X wins by submission, no go out there an do it'), so to put together a 10/15/20 minute (sometimes an hour long, or even longer) match on the fly by really working with somebody is very hard I can assure you.

You have to be athletic, but [and possibly more importantly] you have to be able to act as well. Convincing people you're in more pain that you actual are, (Spoiler alert: Being a wrestler does hurt a lot), is another very hard thing to do. Especially in a building of 100 or less people. And even then you're got to talk to the other guy during the match to keep your ideas on the same page, all whilst not giving it away (too much) to the audience.

The ring is made of metal [the frame], wooden boards and a canvas. The ropes are either actual tightened rope or steel cables (both hurt equally when you mess about on them). If you're lucky, there's a touch of padding under the canvas, but not a whole lot. I've personally wrestled in old boxing rings, and those that have been in them know it's just solid wood underneath lol.

So yeah haha. It's a very complex thing to explain to people and more interesting that one might think as well. I first went into training like "LOLZ it's all pretend" but soon found out it sort of is, and sort of [mostly] isn't. I urge anybody thinking it's just a load of bollocks to try it, and you'll gain 100% more respect for pro wrestling instantly. It's difficult to grasp how certain people are better than others at fake fighting, but I've met people who walk in all like "I GOT THIS" and quickly leave the room once they realize they don't have what it takes lol.

[+] 2 users Like OakTree500's post
18-09-2017, 09:23 AM
I had a buddy who was training to do this. He wanted me to believe it's all 100% real, but he wasn't the first person I'd known.

And yeah, we hate Triple H. But Paul Levesque is a nice guy who saw a kid crying in the front row. It broke his heart so he and Stephanie brought him backstage. I think Alexa Bliss is an egotistical snot, but Lexi Kaufman is an award winning bodybuilder who fought her anorexia. I lived near Ivan Koloff and told him personally that he was such a wonderful guy but I hated his character so much. He thanked me because he'd done his job.

So, yeah, it's just a sweaty, bloody soap opera.
[+] 1 user Likes Clockwork's post
18-09-2017, 09:27 AM
(18-09-2017 09:23 AM)Clockwork Wrote:  I had a buddy who was training to do this. He wanted me to believe it's all 100% real, but he wasn't the first person I'd known.

And yeah, we hate Triple H. But Paul Levesque is a nice guy who saw a kid crying in the front row. It broke his heart so he and Stephanie brought him backstage. I think Alexa Bliss is an egotistical snot, but Lexi Kaufman is an award winning bodybuilder who fought her anorexia. I lived near Ivan Koloff and told him personally that he was such a wonderful guy but I hated his character so much. He thanked me because he'd done his job.

So, yeah, it's just a sweaty, bloody soap opera.
My wife isn't a fan, but watches it with me from time to time. A few years back when Chris Jericho was world champion, she would just scream "LOOK AT HIS FACE, URGH I HATE THAT GUY" and would refuse to believe she'd be sucked into it, as that is/was his job; to be the "baddie" and pull this proper smug looking face to piss people off lol. It worked on her at least Laugh out load

[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
18-09-2017, 09:49 AM
(18-09-2017 09:10 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  It's hard to explain to people, as well as for others to understand, but those guys/gals involved in pro-wrestling, some are genuinely better at it than others as well, so depending on the type of fan you encounter [Which normally be: 1. those that still think it's real or 2. those in the know and they are talking about the people themselves and not the charecters on TV, if that makes any sense] the concept of some of the conversations are hard to get sometimes as well.

For example: Pro wrestling is two people 'pretend' fighting. BUT, mostly [and if you're good at it/willing to be considered good] it's full contact. Are some of the punches pulled a bit? Yep. Do some just full on pretend and look total shite, yes the do. But the guys who are considered good, will legit tap you to some degree.

Take a "knife edge chop". The idea is the slap the other guy on the chest, so it makes a load noise for the crowd to hear and react. How do they do that? Well they take the open palm of their hand....and slap the living shit out of a persons chest. How hard normally depends of the reaction they want/how much they like you as a person lol. That goes with all the "moves" as well. How hard you get physically punched/slammed/hit with chairs (Spoiler alert: Tables and chairs are really made out of actual wood and metal, and hurt alot also) is down to the other person as well, so it's about A)Trust and B) just taking it as it comes. As it's a show for others, you can't just walk off mid-match because something hurt too much.....you take it and carry on. The Blood is 100% real, normally caused by those cutting themselves during a match in [mostly] hidden places to cause a bleed following a big shot, although as you can imagine you might get busted open "the hard way" as well.

Most matches are made up on the fly as well, with most workers only being given the "finish" ('X wins by submission, no go out there an do it'), so to put together a 10/15/20 minute (sometimes an hour long, or even longer) match on the fly by really working with somebody is very hard I can assure you.

You have to be athletic, but [and possibly more importantly] you have to be able to act as well. Convincing people you're in more pain that you actual are, (Spoiler alert: Being a wrestler does hurt a lot), is another very hard thing to do. Especially in a building of 100 or less people. And even then you're got to talk to the other guy during the match to keep your ideas on the same page, all whilst not giving it away (too much) to the audience.

The ring is made of metal [the frame], wooden boards and a canvas. The ropes are either actual tightened rope or steel cables (both hurt equally when you mess about on them). If you're lucky, there's a touch of padding under the canvas, but not a whole lot. I've personally wrestled in old boxing rings, and those that have been in them know it's just solid wood underneath lol.

So yeah haha. It's a very complex thing to explain to people and more interesting that one might think as well. I first went into training like "LOLZ it's all pretend" but soon found out it sort of is, and sort of [mostly] isn't. I urge anybody thinking it's just a load of bollocks to try it, and you'll gain 100% more respect for pro wrestling instantly. It's difficult to grasp how certain people are better than others at fake fighting, but I've met people who walk in all like "I GOT THIS" and quickly leave the room once they realize they don't have what it takes lol.

You definitely need to be in good shape and have a personality for wrestling that's for sure. And as you say, acting is also important. I would agree there is also an element of skill involved. I definitely think it can be classified as a sporting/athletic event--but obviously with more drama and better costumes Tongue

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post