Pro Wrestling thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-09-2017, 09:59 AM
RE: Pro Wrestling thread
(18-09-2017 09:49 AM)jennybee Wrote:  You definitely need to be in good shape and have a personality for wrestling that's for sure. And as you say, acting is also important. I would agree there is also an element of skill involved. I definitely think it can be classified as a sporting/athletic event--but obviously with more drama and better costumes Tongue

Despite me maybe painting a dark picture of it, it's great fun, and if you're willing to "get stuck in", as we say in England, you'll go really far haha. Especially if you're a women as well, there are many "women only" companies out there now, (and womens wrestling is really popular in Japan), so any ladies out the willing to get a bit rough and imbrace your inner Boudicca, I'd highly recommend it. WWE just ran a full Women's tournament actually and it was very good.

I would never really say it's a sport, in the traditional sense at least, as it's not a real competition but it's very taxing on the body, all for the enjoyment of others. Thumbsup

The Helpful Atheist - An Information Blog
Last updated: 08/11/2017 - Want to contribute, drop me a PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes OakTree500's post
18-09-2017, 10:21 AM
(18-09-2017 09:59 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 09:49 AM)jennybee Wrote:  You definitely need to be in good shape and have a personality for wrestling that's for sure. And as you say, acting is also important. I would agree there is also an element of skill involved. I definitely think it can be classified as a sporting/athletic event--but obviously with more drama and better costumes Tongue

Despite me maybe painting a dark picture of it, it's great fun, and if you're willing to "get stuck in", as we say in England, you'll go really far haha. Especially if you're a women as well, there are many "women only" companies out there now, (and womens wrestling is really popular in Japan), so any ladies out the willing to get a bit rough and imbrace your inner Boudicca, I'd highly recommend it. WWE just ran a full Women's tournament actually and it was very good.

I would never really say it's a sport, in the traditional sense at least, as it's not a real competition but it's very taxing on the body, all for the enjoyment of others. Thumbsup

Agreed, I just meant a sporting event in terms of there being some level of athleticism involved. Much more than I imagined prior to going with my brother anyway. Big Grin

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
18-09-2017, 10:35 AM
(18-09-2017 10:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 09:59 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  Despite me maybe painting a dark picture of it, it's great fun, and if you're willing to "get stuck in", as we say in England, you'll go really far haha. Especially if you're a women as well, there are many "women only" companies out there now, (and womens wrestling is really popular in Japan), so any ladies out the willing to get a bit rough and imbrace your inner Boudicca, I'd highly recommend it. WWE just ran a full Women's tournament actually and it was very good.

Agreed, I just meant a sporting event in terms of there being some level of athleticism involved. Much more than I imagined prior to going with my brother anyway. Big Grin
Not sure if it's anywhere near you at all, but their is a company in CA called "Pro Wrestling Guerrilla", and it's AMAZING.

Do a YouTube of their show trailers, and if you ever get the chance please do a go for me! I've been wanting to watch them for years but have never made it out there. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/user/PWGWrestling

18-09-2017, 10:57 AM
(29-08-2017 08:06 PM)outtathereligioncloset Wrote:  I've never been a wrestling fan. But I have a story for you. I was 18 and working at a gas station and back then people had to actually speak to each other and money had to exchange hands---no cards at the pump type stuff. So I had the "back room gang" of rednecks that hung out illegally drinking beer, but honestly it made me feel less vulnerable than being there by myself so...

Anyway. These two guys pull up in an expensive convertible. They approach to pay for the gas and the driver comes on to me with a rather blunt, disgusting line. Feeling protected and empowered by the back room gang, I said angelically "I'm sorry but I don't date guys who comb their hair with buttered toast." The passenger positively howled with laughter and the driver slinked (slunk?) back to his car.

You could hear a pin drop behind me. "WHAT?" I said to the rednecks with their mouths all hanging open and their eyes wide with disbelief. "Do you know who that was?" one finally stammered. "Uh. no. Who?" "That was Blackjack Mulligan." Yeah, even as "not a fan," I still had heard of Blackjack Mulligan.

This reminds me of a story I heard from an ex-wrestler (his stage name was Minos the Undead) who was tending bar in Eau Claire, Wisconsin. He was on his way home from "work" (wrestling) one night, was about to run out of gas, and had to stop at a service station in a bad neighborhood. There were 5 or 6 thugs hanging out in the parking lot, and that worried him, but he had to get gas. He thought it was weird that the guy working the counter inside gave him a funny look, and even weirder that the thugs didn't try to mess with him when he came out. Then, as he was starting to drive away, he happened to look in the rear view mirror, and noticed that he was still in costume and in character. Wasn't nobody going to mess with Minos the Undead!

Laugh out load
[+] 1 user Likes Grasshopper's post
18-09-2017, 01:05 PM
(18-09-2017 10:35 AM)OakTree500 Wrote:  
(18-09-2017 10:21 AM)jennybee Wrote:  Agreed, I just meant a sporting event in terms of there being some level of athleticism involved. Much more than I imagined prior to going with my brother anyway. Big Grin
Not sure if it's anywhere near you at all, but their is a company in CA called "Pro Wrestling Guerrilla", and it's AMAZING.

Do a YouTube of their show trailers, and if you ever get the chance please do a go for me! I've been wanting to watch them for years but have never made it out there. Smile

https://www.youtube.com/user/PWGWrestling

Looks cool Tongue If you and Ms. Oaktree ever make it to CA, we'll go Big Grin You guys can stay with me, but I expect some tea and crumpets for breakfast. Wink

"Let the waters settle and you will see the moon and stars mirrored in your own being." -Rumi
[+] 1 user Likes jennybee's post
19-09-2017, 02:41 AM
(18-09-2017 01:05 PM)jennybee Wrote:  Looks cool Tongue If you and Ms. Oaktree ever make it to CA, we'll go Big Grin You guys can stay with me, but I expect some tea and crumpets for breakfast. Wink
My Uncle lives out in CA, although I haven't got a clue where about's (I understand CA is a huge place lol) so I'll get him to send you some haha.

Tea + Crumpets! Laugh out load I would offer you a "full English" although you may not like the 99% meat content of it haha.

19-09-2017, 05:44 AM
Speaking of PWG a new trailer for there events has just dropped.

This is taken from Night 1 (of 3) of their annual "Battle of Los Angeles" tournament, where the people involved come from all over the world to take part, with the winner getting a shot at the PWG championship Smile Guys in there representing USA, Canada, Mexico and the UK Smile

Check it out!

21-09-2017, 03:17 AM
Night 2 from PWG's Battle of LA tournament is up now! Check it out Smile

25-09-2017, 05:33 AM
Final night of the BOLA tournament is out Smile

25-09-2017, 03:34 PM
Sorry for bringing this up again guys but I've been busy these days and hadn't had time to reply.

I seem to have been misunderstood. I don't doubt it is exciting or that it takes skill to do it and I'm not saying that we should only get excited about real stuff (and now I'm wondering how you guys thought my post implied any of that Consider )

The comments I was talking about were like "Yeah, he's totally gonna crush that guy! He's the best!"
And I'm like, how do you know he's gonna win if it's all staged? Of course there are expectations, but if it's staged, it doesn't matter who is the best because twists are equally exciting. Especially when we're talking about Greece and 20something year olds who have been doing this for a few months and you really can't know who is "the best".

"Behind every great pirate, there is a great butt."
-Guybrush Threepwood-