Pro-life Hypocrisy

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2013, 01:11 AM
Pro-life Hypocrisy
I spoke on this issue (pouring out a personal story of my time in junior high) on Ask an Atheist in 2011. I would be keen to hear any comments and opinions.

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-06-2013, 08:59 AM
RE: Pro-life Hypocrisy
Note to others: It's not as daunting as it appears. The OP should've mentioned that, despite the video being an hour long, his call appears about 3 minutes in and lasts for less than 4 minutes, so you don't have to set aside an entire hour to hear the relevant part. But... the video is worth watching.

Winston, it isn't necessarily hypocritical. Your friend might have thought you were simply "playing the suicide card" (meaning not being serious about it but using that for the purpose of emotional blackmail). Whether or not you were serious, it's fair for him to exercise skepticism toward your claim. But even if he took you seriously, pro-lifers view the unborn as "completely innocent", while they see the born as sinners deserving of hell. Given that viewpoint, their lack of compassion makes a lot of sense. We may not approve of it, but it is rational.

On the issue of pro-lifers being hypocritical in general, it has been pointed out many times that Republicans tends to take contradictory stances, attacking abortion on the grounds of being murder while on the other hand defending capital punishment and indiscriminate drone strikes against foreigners. I can't remember where I read it, but one author pointed out an instance where George W. Bush mocked a death row inmate as she was being executed... the author suggested that it would have been a good idea to remind Bush that she had, at one time, been a fetus herself.

So how can people like William Lane Craig defend the Hebrew slaughter of the Canaanites? His feelings aren't unusual. Most of us take a stance of "us vs. them", where our group has impunity to do whatever harm it likes and we'll rationalize and self-justify those actions, while our opponents are wrong no matter what they do. It literally doesn't matter what circumstances the bible frames "us" and "them" in -- the Hebrews are automatically assumed to do right and their enemies are always evil. I've seen it plenty of times on this forum, where the enemies are Christians and our group is made up of atheists, and the distinction between right and wrong rests entirely on who did the action in question. That's just irrational... so obviously I don't see WLC as being in the right for such idiocy, but we've got to be careful about condemning it (because it could make us hypocrites ourselves).

My girlfriend is mad at me. Perhaps I shouldn't have tried cooking a stick in her non-stick pan.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Starcrash's post
23-06-2013, 02:24 PM
(23-06-2013 08:59 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Note to others: It's not as daunting as it appears. The OP should've mentioned that, despite the video being an hour long, his call appears about 3 minutes in and lasts for less than 4 minutes, so you don't have to set aside an entire hour to hear the relevant part. But... the video is worth watching.

Sorry. I should have mentioned this from the get-go.

(23-06-2013 08:59 AM)Starcrash Wrote:  Winston, it isn't necessarily hypocritical. Your friend might have thought you were simply "playing the suicide card" (meaning not being serious about it but using that for the purpose of emotional blackmail). Whether or not you were serious, it's fair for him to exercise skepticism toward your claim. But even if he took you seriously, pro-lifers view the unborn as "completely innocent", while they see the born as sinners deserving of hell. Given that viewpoint, their lack of compassion makes a lot of sense. We may not approve of it, but it is rational.

Even so, every suicide counseling organisation I know of instructs their volunteers to take all "threats" of suicide seriously (since psychics don't exist).

If they cared about preventing suicide, as their position implies, a heavy dose of compassion is the bare minimum for handling delicate situations like this.

If I had succeeded, and left a note with a scathing accusation at the pro-lifer indicting him as the primarily responsible party, perhaps he might re-evaluate his stance.
[+] 1 user Likes AyameTan's post
23-06-2013, 02:42 PM
Re: RE: Pro-life Hypocrisy
(23-06-2013 02:24 PM)AyameTan Wrote:  If they cared about preventing suicide, as their position implies, a heavy dose of compassion is the bare minimum for handling delicate situations like this.

If I had succeeded, and left a note with a scathing accusation at the pro-lifer indicting him as the primarily responsible party, perhaps he might re-evaluate his stance.

I wouldn't hold my breathe if I were you. Once you're born you're on your own to them. They only think that a fetus has a right to life... Everyone else can go to hell.

Sent From My NEO x5....
30-06-2013, 06:20 AM
Here's a pro-lifer who addresses the issue. Still, he's discriminating between humans (according to his viewpoint).

30-06-2013, 08:34 AM
He's a bloody hypocrite. Pain and suffering is the primary excuse "pro-lifers" use against abortions.

Sent From My NEO x5....
[+] 1 user Likes Stephen Charchuk's post