Pro-lifers and Moral Dilemmas

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
17-06-2013, 10:39 PM
RE: Pro-lifers and Moral Dilemmas
Yes, absolutely. It should be clear by now that abstinence-only simply does not work, and that if you want to decrease abortions, you need education and access to birth control. Sadly, a lot of people don't seem to realize this.

Well, another thing is that so many people have trouble talking openly about sex. Worst of all, some people who are having sex seem unable to talk openly about it with their partners. This was a problem I saw a lot of when I was a teenager. Two people would be alone in a situation where one would decide they should have sex, and the other would just get naked, no questions asked. No birth control discussion. Stupidity is part of it, and not wanting to disappoint or upset the other person, and immaturity, but I place a lot of blame on society for this, too. If nobody talks about sex and it makes everyone uncomfortable, it's no surprise that kids will be uneducated and due stupid things because of raging hormones.

But also I get upset when people say things like "if a woman doesn't want a child, she should not have sex [EVER]," or those who imply that once a woman is pregnant, her life no longer matters, which seems like her only value is that of a brood mare. It seems like everything is being blamed on the woman in many cases, when it takes two people to make a baby.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 4 users Like amyb's post
18-06-2013, 03:10 PM
^ Wasn't there a study that showed in areas where there was more ready birthcontrol available for the public to just go buy there were less abortions? I can't remember where I heard this. = (

Bury me with my guns on, so when I reach the other side - I can show him what it feels like to die.
Bury me with my guns on, so when I'm cast out of the sky, I can shoot the devil right between the eyes.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Question's post
18-06-2013, 05:29 PM
In uber conservative states, parents don't want BC and info readily available to kids. They want to bury their heads in the sand and pretend that their kids aren't doing it even though MS has the highest teen pregnancy rate in the county.

Godless in the Magnolia State
[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
18-06-2013, 05:37 PM
Well, it would certainly make sense that more access to birth control would mean decreased abortions, since it would decrease unwanted pregnancies.

But yeah, there are those who think that keeping information and birth control away from kids will prevent them from having sex. These people apparently have never set foot in the real world. There are also those who think that access to birth control will encourage teen sex. I'd say that teen sex is going to happen either way, so the best option would be to make it as safe as possible.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
18-06-2013, 05:58 PM
Amyb you are correct. Some parents view the pill as a "license to screw." News flash: they are either already doing things or are trying to. I have a teenage son, and I've had conversations with him about what happens if he knocks a girl up. Around here she will likely have the child, and he will have no say in the matter since he has no uterus, but will have to live with whatever choice the young woman makes. He also knows about the various forms of BC. It's not easy to have these talks, but they need answers and information.

[+] 3 users Like cjs's post
18-06-2013, 06:07 PM (This post was last modified: 18-06-2013 06:10 PM by amyb.)
Yeah, it must involve some really heavy denial, thinking that kids don't know sex exists until you tell them where to get birth control. Or thinking they won't do it because they can't get birth control. News flash: they will do what my friends did: have the guy pull out, try to figure out where in their menstrual cycle they are least likely to get pregnant. Some of them will do it anyway and just cross their fingers or something, and hope they won't get pregnant (young people don't often have a grasp of the consequences of their actions). Some will decide to dry hump or have anal sex instead, without realizing that there is still a chance of semen finding its way to the vagina.

I got "the talk" from my dad when I was about 16. He was unaware that I already had a hormonal BC implant and had already had sex.
[+] 2 users Like amyb's post
18-06-2013, 07:04 PM
It's very heavy denial and faulty reasoning. "This can't happen to me," or "my child wouldn't do that," or as you said, things like crossing fingers or pulling out. Yes, I actually heard the coca cola douche hypothesis back in high school (waaaay back) and girls actually believed things like that or that you couldn't get pregnant the first time. In some cases girls were told these things by the eager young man trying to get to home plate; in other cases, other girls spread these urban myths. Thankfully my mother dealt in facts.

[+] 1 user Likes cjs's post
18-06-2013, 07:59 PM
I would think that "the talk" isn't complete with a teen unless it involves a trip to the doctor or the very least a trip to the store. You can talk all day long, but if BC isn't already in the bloodstream or available in the heat of the moment-then it doesn't matter what was talked about.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
[+] 1 user Likes Bows and Arrows's post