Probability for existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
09-11-2017, 02:09 PM
RE: Probability for existence of God
(09-11-2017 01:40 PM)Henri Wrote:  2) There's an objection that universe can be eternal so OP either doesn't apply or there should be correction on probability.

That's false, as I have replied a number of times throughout the thread.

Stars got to exist, Sun got to exist, Earth got to exist etc. State of reality at the time of big bang, if that big bang happened as described, got to exist from whatever was before.

No. I "got to exist" by being conceived and born, but these are perfectly natural processes that do not imply "creation". All of the basic material that constitutes "me" was already in existence. The same can be said of the stars, sun, earth, etc. Matter changing from one form into another is not "creation". Your entire premise is that the universe was created by one thing or another, and you don't know that -- you can't possible know that. If it has existed eternally, it was not created by anyone or anything. Creation isn't even in the picture -- so stop claiming that it is.

If you want to go assigning 50/50 probabilities without any data (foolish as that is), there would only be a 50% chance that the universe was created at all, and then you could break that down as you do, into probabilities of who created it. So you come out with something more like 50/25/25 (or 33/33/33, depending on how you look at it). But you can't pretend that an eternally existing universe fits into one of your two models of "creation". That's nonsense. No matter how many different models of creation you want to propose, none of them can possibly include something that wasn't created at all.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
09-11-2017, 02:11 PM
(09-11-2017 02:09 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  [quote='Henri' pid='1265608' dateline='1510256438']

2) There's an objection that universe can be eternal so OP either doesn't apply or there should be correction on probability.

Stars got to exist, Sun got to exist, Earth got to exist etc. State of reality at the time of big bang, if that big bang happened as described, got to exist from whatever was before.

No. You "came to exist" ... you are 12, aren't you ?

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-11-2017, 02:12 PM
(09-11-2017 01:40 PM)Henri Wrote:  By the way, I came to understanding that what's written in Bible is mostly literal truth, from literal six days of creation onward.

You're kidding me, right? Blink

Mind you, that does explain this wee problem you have with statistics and probability...

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post
09-11-2017, 02:28 PM
(09-11-2017 01:40 PM)Henri Wrote:  Some summary on comments on this thread.

My summary is that you couldn't recognize a Weibull distribution from a Rayleigh distribution from a Cauchy distribution. It doesn't appear you understand what a PDF even is, let alone how to properly use them.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
09-11-2017, 02:29 PM
(09-11-2017 02:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 01:40 PM)Henri Wrote:  2) There's an objection that universe can be eternal so OP either doesn't apply or there should be correction on probability.

I think the oddities of language that we're seeing are more likely to result from "English as a second language" than being 12 years old. Henri's native language might be French, and if I had to try to communicate in French, I would do a lot worse than he's doing in English. So I'm willing to give him a pass on that.

On the other hand, his logical and mathematical incompetence can't be passed off so easily.
[+] 2 users Like Grasshopper's post
09-11-2017, 02:31 PM
(09-11-2017 02:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  [quote='Bucky Ball' pid='1265627' dateline='1510258273']

I think the oddities of language that we're seeing are more likely to result from "English as a second language" than being 12 years old. Henri's native language might be French, and if I had to try to communicate in French, I would do a lot worse than he's doing in English. So I'm willing to give him a pass on that.

On the other hand, his logical and mathematical incompetence can't be passed off so easily.

Bucky
Quote:Fixed that extra quote ...

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
09-11-2017, 02:34 PM
(09-11-2017 02:31 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 02:29 PM)Grasshopper Wrote:  
(09-11-2017 02:11 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  No. You "came to exist" ... you are 12, aren't you ?

Fixed that extra quote ...

Somehow these quote tags are getting all messed up. My post showed up blank until I went in and edited it and removed an extra quote tag. I had to do the same with this one. There has to be the same number of quotes and unquotes.
09-11-2017, 02:44 PM
I wonder what the probability of THAT is ? Angel
Weeping
Tongue

09-11-2017, 03:03 PM
(09-11-2017 01:40 PM)Henri Wrote:  By the way, I came to understanding that what's written in Bible is mostly literal truth, from literal six days of creation onward.

I'm guessing that you started with your Christian belief in God and, like many theists, have used arguments like your mathematical creation in an attempt to validate your belief.

Have you got a probability calculation to show how you determined that Bible God was the correct version of the creator?

No gods necessary.
09-11-2017, 03:09 PM
You’ve clearly put a lot of work into this, so I assume you could tell me why any of it matters?

I have a website here which discusses the issues and terminology surrounding religion and atheism. It's hopefully user friendly to all.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user