Probability for existence of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
08-11-2017, 02:18 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 02:22 PM by Deesse23.)
RE: Probability for existence of God
Quote:Calculating probability has nothing to do with sample. You are maybe thinking about distribution, which is another thing. There is no sample needed to calculate probability of a coin toss, for example.

Have you ever participated in a rigged game with rigged dices, cards or coins?
Lets assume i am flipping my rigged coin here. What probability do you calculate for ....tails?

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Deesse23's post
08-11-2017, 02:20 PM (This post was last modified: 08-11-2017 02:24 PM by Bucky Ball.)
(08-11-2017 02:07 PM)Henri Wrote:  What point do insults prove?

Your bogus probability IS an insult to intelligence.

Quote:Calculating probability has nothing to do with sample. You are maybe thinking about distribution, which is another thing. There is no sample needed to calculate probability of a coin toss, for example.

Wrong. You have to know about coins, and how they are weighted, (if so).
You know NOTHING to base any calculations on here.
You DO need some data to make ANY calculations. You have NO RELEVANT data. You need to know the probability of all relevant events to calculate ANYTHING. Clearly you're nothing but an amateur.

Quote:Faith is neeeded, of course, since there is no proof a human can provide to prove God's existence, no matter how big probability is. You have huge probability explained to you, yet you still don't believe that God exists.

Ephesians 2:8
"For it is by grace you have been saved, through faith--and this is not from yourselves, it is the gift of God--"

You have no probability, or properly computed anything. All you have is a bogus, error filled, argument from ignorance.

Quote:Nothing to do with calculating probability.

Wrong. YOU used the word "creator". It is a meaningless term, and YOU brought it up, IN YOUR OP. Now you can't support the use of a word YOU USED.
Fail.

Quote:There are only two options relative to what's presented in OP and all other options are subsets of those two options. Any subset option doesn't change probability explained in OP.

Nothing is the way it is, because YOU say so. Just because you happen to be an ignorant fool who can't think of other options, doesn't mean your assertions are true, or valid. Are you like 2 years old ? You didn't address the option I gave.
Your statement is an example of the Fallacy of The Excluded Middle.
When you get all big, and mommy sends you to school, you can take a Logic class.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-11-2017, 02:22 PM
(08-11-2017 02:09 PM)Henri Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 01:55 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Sorry, rationally speaking the chance is zero percent. A contradiction can't exist. therefore The statement "God exists" can not be true.

Not according to probability calculation. You have to prove, through calculation, that probability is zero if you want to label your conclusion as rational talk.

No. It's YOU that fail to understand the CONTEXT of your bogus calculation. YOU used words to explain and describe what your calculations tell you. Your words are meaningless. Your talk is irrational.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
08-11-2017, 02:32 PM
(08-11-2017 01:51 PM)Henri Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 12:57 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  Welcome...

But...I'm not a fan of the fine-tuning argument.

This is not about fine-tuning argument. "50/50 chance" has no relation to fine-tuning argument at all, and "almost 100% chance" is somewhat more wide then being about general fine tuning argument.

As for being a fan of something or not, that's another subject.

If you take your "calculations" that a creator must exist to their logical conclusion the fine tuning argument is the next step on the ladder.

Since you completely ignored my question I'll copy and paste it for you:

"What's the difference between something you cannot prove to exist (nor ever be able to effectively test for since it's built into the system that it's impossible) and something that doesn't exist at all?"

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

[+] 6 users Like Momsurroundedbyboys's post
08-11-2017, 02:44 PM
(08-11-2017 02:01 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  One can equally calculate there is a 50/50 chance the Universe was created by leprechauns.

No you can't, because what you wrote is just part of the subset of two encompassing options defined in OP, and as such it would have much less probability than 50/50.

More so, since claim about leprechauns is that they are plainly visible on earth under some defined circumstances, we can observe and measure their existence or non-existence at those circumstances, scientifically, and conclude that there is close to 0% chance that they exist since we have proven that they are not present in places and in times according to the claim of their existence.

There is no such claim about creator of the universe that we can measure.

(08-11-2017 02:01 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  We know the universe exists. But there is no sign a God exists, or a supernatural realm.

There is no known natural law that says that human has to reach and measure everything about reality. So nothing in reality says that if there is no apparent sign that God exists that means that God doesn't exist. It just points to a conclusion that such God doesn't want to allow such sign of His existence to be obvious to your liking, or to be physical, or to be whatever you think it should be.

(08-11-2017 02:01 PM)Cheerful Charlie Wrote:  Stacking up unknowns like this means your calculations are off from the beginning. If one wrongly calculates that there is a God (50%/50%) and a supernatural realm (50%/50%) you have 50% 0f 50% or 25% at best. Now calculate the probability God did or did not create the world (50%/50%) and on in this vein...

There is no stacking. We are using two encompassing options with symetry regarding source of creation of the universe, and with available information, probability for existence of conscious creator of the universe is 50/50.

Modes of creation and other variables are a subset within presented premise, but they don't change calculated probability. In your example, whether God exists in what you label as supernatural realm or not doesn't change probability from the OP. And what is supernatural realm anyway? It's only part of reality that we can't reach yet. For fish living deep in the oceans ground surface is supernatural realm. For previous generations of humans it's wireless transmission of written information.
08-11-2017, 02:49 PM
(08-11-2017 02:05 PM)Free Wrote:  I'm afraid your calculations are pathetically incorrect...
1. Since the universe exists, it is possible that there's a God.
2. The universe exists.
3. Therefore, a God is possible.

What's presented in the OP is not as your three points. If it was, I would write it that way.

(08-11-2017 02:05 PM)Free Wrote:  The reason it is false is you haven't demonstrated how it is possible that a God could exist. Please do that now.

Again, creation starts with a source, and OP defines two all encompassing options for source, and those two options are symetric, meaning that based on available measurements, as explained in OP, either option is possible.
08-11-2017, 02:50 PM
(08-11-2017 02:44 PM)Henri Wrote:  No you can't, because what you wrote is just part of the subset of two encompassing options defined in OP, and as such it would have much less probability than 50/50.

Totally irrelevant.
You have completely failed to provide any support (beyond just asserting it), that the OP has any relevance to reality, that the words you used in the OP have any actual meaning, or that the probability you asserted has any relevance, and that it encompasses relevant data, and that even if the bogus calculation, based on assumptions which have not been demonstrated to be true, were true, it has any relevance to anyone. Where did you make the observations you probability is based o, and which probability system are you using, and how have you demonstrated that your probability system is relevant to the conditions on which you are applying it ?

08-11-2017, 02:51 PM
(08-11-2017 02:07 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  Considering that millions of babies died from thirst, disease, and hunger in the last year ... I'd say there is a 0.000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000​000000000000000000000000000000000000000000001 % chance something intelligent made the universe. Why would an intelligent being (what does that even *mean* without time ... as thinking is a process) make a universe in which for the life of a Black Hole 1^80 1^100 years, there was no life. Stupid god. Mighty inefficient.

According to the Bible, as I read this specific issue, all babies and children who die directly go to Heaven. But that's another subject.
08-11-2017, 02:53 PM
(08-11-2017 02:09 PM)Henri Wrote:  
(08-11-2017 01:55 PM)true scotsman Wrote:  Sorry, rationally speaking the chance is zero percent. A contradiction can't exist. therefore The statement "God exists" can not be true.

Not according to probability calculation. You have to prove, through calculation, that probability is zero if you want to label your conclusion as rational talk.

I don't have to do any such thing. I don't have to prove that the contradictory does not exist. If contradictions could exist, there'd be no proving anything. What probability is there that a square circle exists? Can you calculate that?

Well I don't need to calculate it to say that there is a zero probability that square circles exist.

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
08-11-2017, 02:59 PM
(08-11-2017 02:49 PM)Henri Wrote:  Again, creation starts with a source, and OP defines two all encompassing options for source, and those two options are symetric, meaning that based on available measurements, as explained in OP, either option is possible.

Another false premise.

Can you prove that creation even began?

Having problems with your computer? Visit our Free Tech Support thread for help!
[+] 2 users Like Free's post