Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
30-08-2015, 12:57 AM (This post was last modified: 30-08-2015 02:51 AM by Matrim Cauthon.)
Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...
I've noticed so many different flavors of 'atheist' lately, it makes the LGBT movement look like nuthin. A & Deist, Theist, Gnostic - and branching flavors of each...

I'm wondering...

Am I nuts, or isn't there a path of information and logic available, that more or less tells us 'what we know', 'what we don't know' - and the rest, at best, just varying degrees of probability?

I just get tired lately when someone says something like "I'm a neo-philosophical humanist agnostic with both theist and deistic tendencies".

I mean...ok, I like to sound smart just like the next guy (especially among you deviants here), and love a good blog...but isn't there a point where you can just go "look dude - stop right there - for that, you might as well be a sunni muslim or an orthodox catholic, for as much more sense as that position makes, please stfu, turn in your 'but I have special thoughts' card, and get back in line with the rest of the 'improbables'."?

“Narg know people come back somtimes. Narg wait. You no need sword. Put sword down. Narg no hurt.” – Narg
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Matrim Cauthon's post
30-08-2015, 04:49 AM
RE: Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...
No.

Peeps love their labels. We're all just birds in gilded cages and each needs to paper his nest just so. Wink

living word
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 12 users Like houseofcantor's post
30-08-2015, 05:12 AM
Doesn't bother me. I like hearing people describe how atheism makes sense for them and how it fits in with their philosophy, politics, etc.

The impulse towards orthodoxy (that there's a "right" way to be an atheist, and that's the one that feels the best to me and my buds) strikes me as sadly human, that awful tribal thing we do. Making a group, not just to support, but to compete with and diminish others.

But--at least we're not telling anyone we disagree with that when eternity comes, they'll be sorry.
[+] 6 users Like julep's post
30-08-2015, 05:20 AM
Atheism is pretty much a yes or no thing, Either you lack a belief in god or you don't. Everything else added to that label is personal preference.

"If you keep trying to better yourself that's enough for me. We don't decide which hand we are dealt in life, but we make the decision to play it or fold it" - Nishi Karano Kaze
[+] 5 users Like JDog554's post
30-08-2015, 05:49 AM
I consider myself a lapsed atheist.

That's like a regular atheist, but with less effort.

The difference between prayer and masturbation - is when a guy is through masturbating - he has something to show for his efforts.
[+] 12 users Like onlinebiker's post
30-08-2015, 07:22 AM
Adjectives permit the illusion of individuality and makes people feel speshul.

Whatever floats your boat, go for it.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
[+] 2 users Like Thinkerbelle's post
30-08-2015, 07:33 AM
If presented with such a label, my next question is always: «which means?». I think that's the intention of the person in the first place.
[+] 1 user Likes epronovost's post
30-08-2015, 09:40 AM
(30-08-2015 12:57 AM)Matrim Cauthon Wrote:  I've noticed so many different flavors of 'atheist' lately, it makes the LGBT movement look like nuthin. A & Deist, Theist, Gnostic - and branching flavors of each...

I'm wondering...

Am I nuts, or isn't there a path of information and logic available, that more or less tells us 'what we know', 'what we don't know' - and the rest, at best, just varying degrees of probability?

I just get tired lately when someone says something like "I'm a neo-philosophical humanist agnostic with both theist and deistic tendencies".

I mean...ok, I like to sound smart just like the next guy (especially among you deviants here), and love a good blog...but isn't there a point where you can just go "look dude - stop right there - for that, you might as well be a sunni muslim or an orthodox catholic, for as much more sense as that position makes, please stfu, turn in your 'but I have special thoughts' card, and get back in line with the rest of the 'improbables'."?

I know what you mean Matrim (favorite character of all time in a novel, bloody right he is!). Everyone has a different idea of what it means to be an atheist and they won't hesitate to tell you what you "really" believe. And I don't actually identify as an atheist, but an Objectivist. Atheism is just a side issue, a consequence of my rational philosophy. I don't except anything supernatural or mystical. That means gods are out and so is anything else which is non-objective. I accept reality and that's it.

I am also a strong atheist. I will say unflinchingly that the various gods of the various forms of theism don't exist. I don't do this just because it drives theists wild but because I can prove it. Why should I allow for the possibility of gods when I know beyond the shadow of a doubt that they don't exist? But it does drive them all manner of wild. They can't stand certainty in a non-theist. You're supposed to drop your mind and allow for the possibility that their imaginary magic being exists despite the fact that there is no evidence for it and conclusive evidence against. They are allowed to be certain but I am not?

Do not lose your knowledge that man's proper estate is an upright posture, an intransigent mind and a step that travels unlimited roads. - Ayn Rand.

Don't sacrifice for me, live for yourself! - Me

The only alternative to Objectivism is some form of Subjectivism. - Dawson Bethrick
[+] 4 users Like true scotsman's post
30-08-2015, 09:44 AM
(30-08-2015 05:12 AM)julep Wrote:  Doesn't bother me. I like hearing people describe how atheism makes sense for them and how it fits in with their philosophy, politics, etc.

The impulse towards orthodoxy (that there's a "right" way to be an atheist, and that's the one that feels the best to me and my buds) strikes me as sadly human, that awful tribal thing we do. Making a group, not just to support, but to compete with and diminish others.

But--at least we're not telling anyone we disagree with that when eternity comes, they'll be sorry.

Sure - agreed on the 'orthodox atheist' statement...however, only partially what I meant. Rather, not necessarily criticizing someone just attaching an adjective to their atheism (like "anarchist libertarian") - but more 'playing games' with the names, to enable their own human'esque 'Theistic Tendencies', trying yet another 'new and creative way' to fit the square peg in the round hole, and scratch and claw to still be able to find Jesus within Science and Probability.

“Narg know people come back somtimes. Narg wait. You no need sword. Put sword down. Narg no hurt.” – Narg
30-08-2015, 09:45 AM
[Image: image1.jpg]

“I am quite sure now that often, very often, in matters concerning religion and politics a man’s reasoning powers are not above the monkey’s.”~Mark Twain
“Ocean: A body of water occupying about two-thirds of a world made for man - who has no gills.”~ Ambrose Bierce
[+] 2 users Like Full Circle's post