Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2016, 08:55 AM
RE: Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...
Since I have never seen a god, I can't describe it.

However, there are countless people all over the world who have countless definitions for you. Everything from cows to the sun or moon and busybody sky daddies. Just pick one and be happy.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
03-10-2016, 09:05 AM
(03-10-2016 07:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It doesn’t seem that most atheists have a worldview, they have a lack of belief in a worldview.

FFS. You can repeat the strawman as often as you like. It still won't become true.

What part of Naturalism, Humanism and Rationalism do you not understand?

Naturalism
Humanism
Rationalism

Most are apistevists as well.

Quote:Apistevist
A person who does not use faith to know things-especially in the religious sense.

These are worldviews, even if you refuse to admit it.

(03-10-2016 07:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  The above just proves my point. To reword what you just said: “The burden of proof is on the believer to defend and prove his worldview, the atheist lacks a worldview to defend and prove.”

[Image: Cutest-Beating-Dead-Horse-GIF_zpssr3sayg9.gif]

(03-10-2016 07:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:This is also not accurate. Most posters here have stated a belief in abiogenesis, the Big Bang theory and evolution.

As do I. So it seems you’re not being accurate.

Let's look at the entire quote, shall we?

(02-10-2016 08:11 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  
(02-10-2016 06:12 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  They lack a belief in whether life is intentional, or unintentional, whether we're product of a cosmic accident, or some purpose.

This is also not accurate. Most posters here have stated a belief in abiogenesis, the Big Bang theory and evolution. Most posters here have flat out rejected purposeful design and other nonsense.

Makes more sense when you read the whole thing in context, doesn't it?

(03-10-2016 07:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
Quote:Most posters here have flat out rejected purposeful design and other nonsense.

They don’t flat out reject it, they flat out assert their lack of belief in these things. Lacking a belief in whether your married, doesn’t constitute as flat out rejecting you’re married.

This is an outright lie. Why do you do things like this, when people can read the words?

Many posters, including myself, have stated that we accept science and reject religion.

(03-10-2016 07:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  An accident implies that the result was unintentional. Was purposeless. “Without apparent or deliberate cause”. It’s the contrary to any theistic, teleological, purposeful view of the universe and human life. The terms are not loaded, just because you yourself lack a belief in this as well.

Since I already told you what my beliefs are, this is yet another lie.

This is what we call proof:

(02-10-2016 08:11 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  The Big Bang, according to our current understanding was a Cosmic Event.
It was not a cosmic accident. According to our understanding it happened in accordance with natural laws and scientific principles. There was no indication of supernatural agency.

Abiogenesis is currently our best theory regarding the origins of life. According to our understanding it happened in accordance with natural laws and scientific principles. There was no indication of supernatural agency.

I do not lack belief. I reject your god/religion. I accept the scientific explanation.

Once again, you are lying.

(03-10-2016 07:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps this might help, imagine another universe, or multiverse, where..

where people like yourself would engage in honest discussion rather than attempting to rack up high scores in the lying and fallacy categories.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 1 user Likes Fatbaldhobbit's post
03-10-2016, 09:09 AM
(28-09-2016 05:15 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  That a belief in god/s of any sort would be a form of theism? Do you have the honesty to admit that?

Is a meist a theist? I've been conflicted by that one for a while now.

#sigh
03-10-2016, 09:11 AM
(29-09-2016 06:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Then you could have saved Chas from falling into the embarrassing hole he dug himself into.

He's not the one embarrassing himself here.

#sigh
03-10-2016, 09:23 AM
(29-09-2016 07:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Im still waiting on finding an atheist who seriously believes that we're a product of a cosmic accident, that our desire for meaning, truth, a sense of the sacred, where the unintentional results of a cosmic lottery. That matter having the properties to arrange itself into conscious creatures, with moral, and creative capacities, is to believed as it just coincidentally did. No one seems to actually believe this, at least not honestly.

Why not? You got a more plausible explanatory mechanism of action? And "God done it." does not qualify as explanatory. Or plausible.

(29-09-2016 07:31 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  I'm still looking for the sort of atheist willing to support a godless view of the world, as they expect theist to defend there's. Ones who hold a contrary set of brliefs, rather than declare their absence of them.

[Image: bear.gif]

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
03-10-2016, 09:26 AM
(30-09-2016 10:17 AM)Grasshopper Wrote:  Come to think of it, is there any practical difference between atheism ("there is no god") and pantheism ("everything is god")? Would you live your life any differently if one were true rather than the other? If the difference doesn't matter, why should we care about it?

Been saying that for a while now. Thumbsup

#sigh
03-10-2016, 09:28 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 10:05 AM by GirlyMan.)
(03-10-2016 07:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  It doesn’t seem that most atheists have a worldview, they have a lack of belief in a worldview.

Is nihilism a worldview? Consider

#sigh
03-10-2016, 09:52 AM
(03-10-2016 09:23 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  Why not? You got a more plausible explanatory mechanism of action? And "God done it." does not qualify as explanatory. Or plausible.

Apples and Oranges, since I'm not talking about an alternative "explanatory mechanism of action". As if God here would be an alternative to any particular scientific explanation.

It's question of the whether the end result, regardless of the process that led to it, was a goal, intentional. It's a question of teleology or not.

To think of it better here. Perhaps it's better to think in terms not of what you believe, but why someone should believe as you do.

It would be to explain why a man looking at himself and others, as self-aware creatures, who desire truth, and goodness, who seeking meaning and purpose, and have this nagging sense that there's something more to their existence, something deeper and more than the sum of it's part, should not see this as teleological, or goal-oriented, or indicating that he exists for some ultimate purpose and meaning, but as i unintentional , purposeless.

Notice this isn't a question about the mechanisms that brought such lives together, it proceeds that. So appealing to evolution,abiogensis, isn't relevant.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
03-10-2016, 09:58 AM
(03-10-2016 09:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  To think of it better here. Perhaps it's better to think in terms not of what you believe, but why someone should believe as you do.

Because there is more evidence that I am God than for any other god/s. But the "I am" part is admittedly suspect.

#sigh
03-10-2016, 10:01 AM (This post was last modified: 03-10-2016 10:10 AM by GirlyMan.)
(03-10-2016 09:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Notice this isn't a question about the mechanisms that brought such lives together, it proceeds that. So appealing to evolution,abiogensis, isn't relevant.

I agree that it proceeds from evolution because evolution is both plausible and explanatory.

#sigh