Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
03-10-2016, 05:53 PM
RE: Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...
(03-10-2016 11:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 10:06 AM)Chas Wrote:  I have no burden of proof. I am stating my belief, not making a claim.

And my belief is based on an utter lack of evidence to the contrary.

Utter lack of evidence leads to a lack of belief. If I have an utter lack of evidence of your marital status, I'd lack a belief one way or the other as to whether you're married or not.

But you know that marriage exists. That is the difference.

Quote:
Quote:And my belief is based on an utter lack of evidence to the contrary.

So you hold beliefs based on an utter lack of evidence, beliefs based on no evidence?

My belief in naturalism is because there is no evidence of the supernatural, your weasel-wording notwithstanding.

Quote:I thought that was faith.

You are such an ass. Your puerile word games have become predictable and boring.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
04-10-2016, 01:14 AM
Aaaaand another what...5 pages wasted by Tommys attempts to redefine everything and shift the burden of proof?

That mail order PhD really paid off it seems. Facepalm

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
04-10-2016, 05:54 AM
(04-10-2016 01:14 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Aaaaand another what...5 pages wasted by Tommys attempts to redefine everything and shift the burden of proof?

Ah okay so the atheists here don't have a burden of proof, because they hold no positive beliefs here? They hold no positive contrary position to a theistic one, just a lack of belief.

Ain't that right Deese?

Can you folks make up your mind already.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-10-2016, 06:06 AM
(03-10-2016 05:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  But you know that marriage exists. That is the difference.

My belief in naturalism is because there is no evidence of the supernatural, your weasel-wording notwithstanding.

I also know that things that have inherent purposes have creators, things that have a narrative arc, or meaning have authors. That intentional objects, have intentional agents behind them.

What I also know is that I have no evidence regarding whether FBH is married, therefore I lack a belief one way or the other. And that the only way in which I hold belief one way but not the other, is by having evidence for it.

You have painted numerous beliefs you hold not based on evidence, such as naturalism is true, based on no evidence, but merely the absence of evidence. Ain't that right, you don't hold it as true based on evidence, correct?

Quote:
Quote:I thought that was faith.

You are such an ass. Your puerile word games have become predictable and boring.
[/quote]

Just because you twisted yourself in knot doesn't mean I'm playing word games with you. I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of the position you painted here. You can correct yourself of course, but your pride might get in the way

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
04-10-2016, 06:29 AM
(04-10-2016 06:06 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(03-10-2016 05:53 PM)Chas Wrote:  But you know that marriage exists. That is the difference.

I also know that things that have inherent purposes have creators, things that have a narrative arc, or meaning have authors. That intentional objects, have intentional agents behind them.

What I also know is that I have no evidence regarding whether FBH is married, therefore I lack a belief one way or the other. And that the only way in which I hold belief one way but not the other, is by having evidence for it.

You have painted numerous beliefs you hold not based on evidence, such as naturalism is true, based on no evidence, but merely the absence of evidence. Ain't that right, you don't hold it as true based on evidence, correct?

No, not correct. The evidence for naturalism is strong, the evidence against is non-existent.

Quote:
Quote:You are such an ass. Your puerile word games have become predictable and boring.

Just because you twisted yourself in knot doesn't mean I'm playing word games with you. I'm pointing out the ridiculousness of the position you painted here. You can correct yourself of course, but your pride might get in the way

I am not the one tangled up with idiotic beliefs. Drinking Beverage

04-10-2016, 06:31 AM
(04-10-2016 01:14 AM)Deesse23 Wrote:  Aaaaand another what...5 pages wasted by Tommys attempts to redefine everything and shift the burden of proof?

Don't forget denial of reality.

When you have to ignore/alter reality to make your imaginary friend make sense, then you should be questioning your imagination not reality.

I'm just sayin'... Drinking Beverage

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
04-10-2016, 06:39 AM
(04-10-2016 06:31 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Don't forget denial of reality.

When you have to ignore/alter reality to make your imaginary friend make sense, then you should be questioning your imagination not reality.

Not sure what reality or aspect of reality I'm denying here.

But you're likely just repeating one of your daily mantras, rather than expressing anything true.

04-10-2016, 06:46 AM
(04-10-2016 06:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  correct?

No, not correct. The evidence for naturalism is strong, the evidence against is non-existent.

Oh okay, so you hold naturalism is true, based on strong evidence, not the absence of evidence. And it goes without saying that if you hold a position as true, you lack a belief in any competing position as a result.

Quote:I am not the one tangled up with idiotic beliefs. Drinking Beverage

No, all you have is a series of muddled idiotic beliefs, but since you live in a vacuum chamber you likely never acknowledge them, the groupthink doesn't help.

04-10-2016, 06:51 AM
(04-10-2016 06:46 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-10-2016 06:29 AM)Chas Wrote:  correct?

Oh okay, so you hold naturalism is true, based on strong evidence, not the absence of evidence. And it goes without saying that if you hold a position as true, you lack a belief in any competing position as a result.

Once again, you over-simplify. There is both evidence for and a lack of evidence against.
There is no evidence of anything other than naturalism.

Quote:
Quote:I am not the one tangled up with idiotic beliefs. Drinking Beverage

No, all you have is a series of muddled idiotic beliefs, but since you live in a vacuum chamber you likely never acknowledge them, the groupthink doesn't help.

That is drenched in irony.

04-10-2016, 06:56 AM
(04-10-2016 06:39 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(04-10-2016 06:31 AM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Don't forget denial of reality.

Not sure what reality or aspect of reality I'm denying here.

But you're likely just repeating one of your daily mantras, rather than expressing anything true.

What definition of true are you using today?

How are you defining reality?

What are most atheists thinking today?

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky