Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-09-2016, 07:51 AM
RE: Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...
(27-09-2016 07:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-09-2016 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes. That's why there are thousands of god cults.

If you lack a belief in a God defined by your personal preference, yet believe in a God according to someone's else personal preference, would you be an atheist or a theist?

Theist. It's there in the definition "believes in a God". Now please find something else daft to raise questions about 'cos I do believe that the word avocado is in need of a redefinition Rolleyes

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 6 users Like morondog's post
27-09-2016, 07:55 AM
(27-09-2016 07:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-09-2016 07:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you lack a belief in a God defined by your personal preference, yet believe in a God according to someone's else personal preference, would you be an atheist or a theist?

Theist. It's there in the definition "believes in a God". Now please find something else daft to raise questions about 'cos I do believe that the word avocado is in need of a redefinition Rolleyes

Are you talking about somebody who did not attend Vocado or somebody who does not take Vocado?

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
27-09-2016, 07:57 AM
(27-09-2016 07:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(27-09-2016 07:35 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you lack a belief in a God defined by your personal preference, yet believe in a God according to someone's else personal preference, would you be an atheist or a theist?

So they're theist according to what someone else personally defines as God, not what they define as God?

Or did you fail to understand the exchange?

Like the half of many European populations that claim to not believe in God, yet hold to a belief in a higher power/life force, which in many traditions would constitute as a God.

They claim to lack a belief in God, yet hold to a belief that others would consider a belief in God. In your view they wouldn't be an atheists? (unless of course you misunderstand the exchange all together.)

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-09-2016, 08:13 AM
(27-09-2016 07:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-09-2016 07:17 AM)Chas Wrote:  Yes. That's why there are thousands of god cults.

If you lack a belief in a God defined by your personal preference, yet believe in a God according to someone's else personal preference, would you be an atheist or a theist?

I lack belief in any god anyone has ever preferred.

It's not up to me to define what a god is - I'm not making the claim.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like Chas's post
27-09-2016, 08:19 AM
(27-09-2016 08:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(27-09-2016 07:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you lack a belief in a God defined by your personal preference, yet believe in a God according to someone's else personal preference, would you be an atheist or a theist?

I lack belief in any god anyone has ever preferred.

The question was not about you, who hold that you lack a belief in a God of any sort, even defined by other people's personal preference.

The question was about those who lack a belief in a God defined by their own personal preference, yet believe in a God according to someone else's personal definition of God. The example being those who might define themselves as an atheist, yet hold to a belief in a life force/higher power, that they don't personally define as God, but other's would. Would they be theists or atheists?

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
27-09-2016, 08:26 AM
Oh I see Tommy. You're saying you're a believer in the bucket god, because you believe in buckets and I just decided that buckets are divine.

Can you find something interesting to discuss or are we gonna have another tedious thread?

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
27-09-2016, 08:30 AM
(27-09-2016 08:19 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-09-2016 08:13 AM)Chas Wrote:  I lack belief in any god anyone has ever preferred.

The question was not about you, who hold that you lack a belief in a God of any sort, even defined by other people's personal preference.

The question was about those who lack a belief in a God defined by their own personal preference, yet believe in a God according to someone else's personal definition of God. The example being those who might define themselves as an atheist, yet hold to a belief in a life force/higher power, that they don't personally define as God, but other's would. Would they be theists or atheists?

Maybe.

If someone believes in some impersonal 'life force' he is not a theist, he is just ignorant.

Theists are self-defined.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
27-09-2016, 08:49 AM
(27-09-2016 08:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe.

If someone believes in some impersonal 'life force' he is not a theist, he is just ignorant.

According to your personal definition as to what constitutes and doesn't constitute as a God.

According to other peoples personal definition of God he would be a theist, whether or not he believes in a personal, or impersonal life force.

Quote:Theists are self-defined.

As well as atheist? God is also is a self-defined concept?

27-09-2016, 08:58 AM
(27-09-2016 08:26 AM)morondog Wrote:  Oh I see Tommy. You're saying you're a believer in the bucket god, because you believe in buckets and I just decided that buckets are divine.

Can you find something interesting to discuss or are we gonna have another tedious thread?

No MD, I didn't say anything about what I believe, just a series of questions related to the idea of the definition of God being a matter of personal preference, as it relates to defining others as theists or atheists.

27-09-2016, 09:02 AM
(27-09-2016 08:49 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(27-09-2016 08:30 AM)Chas Wrote:  Maybe.

According to your personal definition as to what constitutes and doesn't constitute as a God.

According to other peoples personal definition of God he would be a theist, whether or not he believes in a personal, or impersonal life force.

Only if you redefine theism. You are redefining it into meaninglessness.

Quote:
Quote:Theists are self-defined.

As well as atheist? God is also is a self-defined concept?

No, theists are those who believe in gods. An impersonal life force is not a god.
See above.

[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post