Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-09-2016, 06:01 PM
(28-09-2016 05:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 05:27 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Deism is a form of theism, as the Wikipedia article and the philosophy article both indicate.

And which should be evident to those who label themselves atheist as well, but apparently not.

It seems that rather than admitting you were wrong, you want to pathetically argue otherwise, it's fun to watch though.

Theism is generally accepted as an involved deity, while deism posits an uninvolved deity.
That makes them distinct.

That's because you conflate theism with the Abrahamic religions, and their monotheistic beliefs in a personal god.

I've already quoted you both wikipedia and a philosophy basics article that points out to you that deism, panantheism etc. are all forms of theism.

This meaning should be evident when using the term "atheism", where the term indicates a lack of belief in the existence of god/s of any sort. And on the other end, one who believes in the existance of god/s of any sort would be a theist.

Take this as a brief educational lesson, as learning something new. Hopefully you'll cease with your ignorance now that you've been properly instructed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
28-09-2016, 09:47 PM
RE: Probable, or Not. The 1000 flavors is boring me...
(28-09-2016 06:01 PM)Tomasia Wrote:  Take this as a brief educational lesson, as learning something new. Hopefully you'll cease with your ignorance now that you've been properly instructed.

Did you start this whole, bullshit derailment just so you could post a few definitions and act like an arrogant ass?

Because your contributions in this thread have served only as a lesson in poorly constructed word games.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
[+] 4 users Like Fatbaldhobbit's post
28-09-2016, 11:41 PM
Tommy thinks somehow that lecturing us on word definitions makes his bullshit less bullshit.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
29-09-2016, 03:52 AM
(28-09-2016 09:47 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Did you start this whole, bullshit derailment just so you could post a few definitions and act like an arrogant ass?

No, I did so to correct someone who clearly didn't know the meaning of theism as it relates to the atheist/theist distinction, who shat all over himself when corrected.

Perhaps you knew already that deism, and any other god/s beliefs are all forms of theism already here? If you did you should have perhaps spent more time educating your dear brother, rather than letting him embarrass himself awaiting your rescue.

"Tell me, muse, of the storyteller who has been thrust to the edge of the world, both an infant and an ancient, and through him reveal everyman." ---Homer the aged poet.

"In Him was life, and the life was the Light of men. The Light shines in the darkness, and the darkness did not comprehend it."
29-09-2016, 03:56 AM
(28-09-2016 11:41 PM)morondog Wrote:  Tommy thinks somehow that lecturing us on word definitions makes his bullshit less bullshit.

No I don't, my bullshit beliefs remain just as much bullshit regardless of the lecture.

Perhaps these projections on your part are in relationship to insecurities about your own beliefs than my own.

29-09-2016, 04:32 AM
(29-09-2016 03:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps you knew already that deism, and any other god/s beliefs are all forms of theism already here?

If you're stupid enough to be that misinformed, is it any surprise that you are once again the forum whipping boy?

Deism and pantheism are all less specific and more broadly defined than theism; so how in the hell are they a subset of it? You can clearly be a deist (belief in a supreme being) without being a theist (belief in a personal god that interacts with the world) . Facepalm

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
29-09-2016, 04:52 AM
(29-09-2016 03:56 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps these projections on your part are in relationship to insecurities about your own beliefs than my own.

Laugh out load

Talk to me when you can provide evidence for your crap.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
29-09-2016, 05:44 AM
(29-09-2016 03:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  
(28-09-2016 09:47 PM)Fatbaldhobbit Wrote:  Did you start this whole, bullshit derailment just so you could post a few definitions and act like an arrogant ass?

No, I did so to correct someone who clearly didn't know the meaning of theism as it relates to the atheist/theist distinction, who shat all over himself when corrected.

Perhaps you knew already that deism, and any other god/s beliefs are all forms of theism already here? If you did you should have perhaps spent more time educating your dear brother, rather than letting him embarrass himself awaiting your rescue.

You have chosen your definitions by ignoring others. That's called cherry picking.

You have continued to deflect and ignore the fact that nowhere does a 'mindless life force' meet any definition of a theistic god.
Your insistence that any definition of a god is as good as any other renders any discussion pointless. You can't just make shot up and expect to have effective communication or discussion.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-09-2016, 06:01 AM
(29-09-2016 03:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  No, I did so to correct someone who clearly didn't know the meaning of theism as it relates to the atheist/theist distinction, who shat all over himself when corrected.

Actually, you started playing word games. Allow me to refresh your memory:

(27-09-2016 06:22 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  How about what "god" means, is that a matter of personal preference too?
(27-09-2016 07:33 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you lack a belief in a God defined by your personal preference, yet believe in a God according to someone's else personal preference, would you be an atheist or a theist?

I see no need to quote the litany of word-barf that follows, the playing with definitions, the god-but-not-god bullshit. Word games, split hairs, etc. It's there for all to see.

(29-09-2016 03:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  Perhaps you knew already that deism, and any other god/s beliefs are all forms of theism already here?

Yes, as a matter of fact I did. Although, I must admit that breaking down the specifics to that extent holds little interest for me.

Any belief that involves the supernatural (theism, deism, anything) should be treated with extreme skepticism until it can be verified via science.

(29-09-2016 03:52 AM)Tomasia Wrote:  If you did you should have perhaps spent more time educating your dear brother, rather than letting him embarrass himself awaiting your rescue.

Rolleyes

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
29-09-2016, 06:16 AM
(29-09-2016 05:44 AM)Chas Wrote:  You have chosen your definitions by ignoring others. That's called cherry picking.

You have continued to deflect and ignore the fact that nowhere does a 'mindless life force' meet any definition of a theistic god.

You earlier indicated, as others have that the definition of god is matter of personal preference. Under that an impersonal life force, can be a god. Not all beliefs in god requires god to be personal, or some sort of super being, as forms of pantheism, and panentheism tend to indicate.

Your attempt to weasel your way out of this, is by claiming that theism requires a belief in a particular form of god, a personal one, and that beliefs in god/s of any other type wouldn't be theism. And you were wrong about this, as has been shown to you, that beliefs in any type of god/s, personal, impersonal, would be a form of theism.

I'm still also curious about your personal definition of god, that excludes an impersonal "life force", from being a god. Are you going to provide that for us?

Quote:Your insistence that any definition of a god is as good as any other renders any discussion pointless

We were discussing the distinction between atheism/theism, and you're the one that attempted to define theism in regards to this distinction, exclusively as the type of God of abrahamic monotheism, for some shitty effect, as if belief in any other forms of god/s would make one an atheist.

You failed miserably in this, and now want to pathetically find some way to back peddle out of this, rather than just being honest and correcting your mistakes.