Probably not going to come out how I want, but here goes...

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-08-2014, 05:50 AM
RE: Probably not going to come out how I want, but here goes...
(04-08-2014 11:47 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  BUT, yes there is cultures that view time differently such as more loosely.

I've heard issues of South Africans in relationships with Americans not seeing immediate phrases the same. Were the south African guy views the the, Now, meaning any point from the present to the next couple hours. That he says came from his culture and they would say now now if they meant that exact moment.

I don't know area specifics on this, but I've heard of different African cultures not having a different term present, future, or past time. And that those people are less strict in viewing showing up or doing things "on time"

This is what I was trying to convey. Do some cultures just operate differently?

For instance, in a restaurant, how long should you wait to be greeted, served a drink, wait to order. Here in the US, we expect to go in, be seated, and expect the transaction to keep moving along, whereas other places, a meal might take what seems an eternity because the culture just does it differently. Lunch is 2 hrs to our 45 minutes.

"Life is a daring adventure or it is nothing"--Helen Keller
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
05-08-2014, 06:54 AM
RE: Probably not going to come out how I want, but here goes...
(05-08-2014 05:50 AM)Bows and Arrows Wrote:  
(04-08-2014 11:47 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  BUT, yes there is cultures that view time differently such as more loosely.

I've heard issues of South Africans in relationships with Americans not seeing immediate phrases the same. Were the south African guy views the the, Now, meaning any point from the present to the next couple hours. That he says came from his culture and they would say now now if they meant that exact moment.

I don't know area specifics on this, but I've heard of different African cultures not having a different term present, future, or past time. And that those people are less strict in viewing showing up or doing things "on time"

This is what I was trying to convey. Do some cultures just operate differently?

For instance, in a restaurant, how long should you wait to be greeted, served a drink, wait to order. Here in the US, we expect to go in, be seated, and expect the transaction to keep moving along, whereas other places, a meal might take what seems an eternity because the culture just does it differently. Lunch is 2 hrs to our 45 minutes.

I think this is comparing apples and oranges. I've been to many nice restaurants that take their jolly time serving a la-di-dah meal. But those same restaurants would have no problem selling your table to someone else if you arrived 45 minutes late for your reservation.

Being late for an appointment [any agreed-to time, no matter the event] is different from enjoying the event at leisure.

We have enough youth. How about looking for the Fountain of Smart?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply