Probing Men's Rights

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-08-2014, 01:54 AM
RE: Probing Men's Rights
(19-08-2014 01:17 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Also, the fuck is with the mean-spiritedness of the post, bro?

I'm sorry, but I'm just tired. Tired of us all being cannibalistic pedants employing the same word games the theists use, and to what end? The perpetuation of the mischaracterization of what feminism is and means to those who adopt that label in modern context (much as how theists try to dismiss all atheists as being gnostic/strong atheists because some dictionaries still define us as such), does nothing but undermine the work done by those identifying as feminist; made all the more sad because it's based on ideals I know you agree with.

We are all too busy eating our own to get anything done. It's like two sheep headbutting each other while the wolf pack circles them, and that makes me tired...

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like EvolutionKills's post
19-08-2014, 01:58 AM
(19-08-2014 01:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 12:59 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Or, you could, you know, call yourself a humanist and be done with it. I only refer to myself as a feminist when... Well, I never needed to clarify that I was one because a humanist technically is one. I never said they were exclusive, I just said that feminsim does tend to focus on the women's aspect of it (it even has fem in the fucking title).
Or you could, you know, fuck off and not tell me what to call myself Smile

fair enough

Quote:Isn't that delightful.
Yes, isn't it?

Quote:So me identifying as a feminist automatically means that I am not doing any actions, just getting my rocks off being all angry about discrimination? You really know how to endear yourself to a guy.

Never said that.

Quote:No. I don't get you. As EK said, this fussing over definitions and what not is somewhat tiresome. Since we agree that discrimination is taking place, let's focus on that and if I want to call myself a feminist and you want to call yourself a humanist that's fine.

I'm not the one being an asshole about it.

[Image: 0013382F-E507-48AE-906B-53008666631C-757...cc3639.jpg]
Credit goes to UndercoverAtheist.
[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
19-08-2014, 02:01 AM
(19-08-2014 01:54 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 01:17 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Also, the fuck is with the mean-spiritedness of the post, bro?

I'm sorry, but I'm just tired. Tired of us all being cannibalistic pedants employing the same word games the theists use, and to what end? The perpetuation of the mischaracterization of what feminism is and means to those who adopt that label in modern context (much as how theists try to dismiss all atheists as being gnostic/strong atheists because some dictionaries still define us as such), does nothing but undermine the work done by those identifying as feminist; made all the more sad because it's based on ideals I know you agree with.

We are all too busy eating our own to get anything done. It's like two sheep headbutting each other while the wolf pack circles them, and that makes me tired...

Fair enough man. I get you.

[+] 1 user Likes Atothetheist's post
19-08-2014, 02:32 AM
(19-08-2014 01:58 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 01:51 AM)morondog Wrote:  So me identifying as a feminist automatically means that I am not doing any actions, just getting my rocks off being all angry about discrimination? You really know how to endear yourself to a guy.

Never said that.

IMO you sure as hell implied it.
Quote:However, I doubt that simply identifying yourself as a feminist would do much. Actions speak louder than titles in this instance.

Quote:I'm not the one being an asshole about it.
That's like, just your opinion man. Drinking Beverage

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-08-2014, 02:52 AM (This post was last modified: 19-08-2014 04:22 AM by Atothetheist.)
(19-08-2014 02:32 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(19-08-2014 01:58 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  Never said that.

IMO you sure as hell implied it.
Quote:However, I doubt that simply identifying yourself as a feminist would do much. Actions speak louder than titles in this instance.

Quote:I'm not the one being an asshole about it.
That's like, just your opinion man. Drinking Beverage
I was trying to say that the insistance that feminist title be used was trivial when we essentially are adovcating the same actions. Not that you didn't do shit. Sorry if it seemed like I did. I wasn't communicating my thoughts accurately.

19-08-2014, 04:55 AM
(19-08-2014 02:52 AM)Atothetheist Wrote:  I was trying to say that the insistance that feminist title be used was trivial when we essentially are adovcating the same actions. Not that you didn't do shit. Sorry if it seemed like I did. I wasn't communicating my thoughts accurately.

No one insisted...

Anyway, now that we're finally on the same page I propose that we do nothing.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
19-08-2014, 09:08 AM
(19-08-2014 01:08 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  A2, two can play that game. Drinking Beverage

Humanism (Oxford Dictionary)
-Outlook or system of thought attaching prime importance to human rather than divine or supernatural matters. Humanist beliefs stress the potential value and goodness of human beings, emphasize common human needs, and seek solely rational ways of solving human problems.

Notice how it doesn't state human or sexual equality, merely human importance and primacy over the divine and supernatural. If we're going to be pedantic and play definition word games, the sword cuts both ways; so please stop, it is very tiresome.

Alright there is something I must address. First is when you said does not solve human or sexual equality, yet the definition says solving human problems. Human and sexual equality are human problems, because of this humanism can be applied to those subjects is it is a problem that must be solved.

[Image: Guilmon-41189.gif] https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCOW_Ioi2wtuPa88FvBmnBgQ my youtube
[+] 2 users Like Metazoa Zeke's post
07-09-2014, 05:22 PM
I don't affiliate myself with either gender movement. The majority of the issues that are brought up by both can be petty at best, and even to an extent sometimes while trying to promote a specific gender to act in a certain way, they teach behaviours that end up making those who listen behave worse and unlikeable. Also the leaders are likely to have a level of vitriol for the opposite sex, and be openly sexist towards them. I want to keep the balance. I care more about human and individual rights rather than women's or men's rights. I have heard about the wage gap and the prison sentences, and the "rape culture" vs "women dating assholes" and I am sick of it. This is why we need to look at every law and sort out whether there is sexism, and if there is, take the gender out of it.

If somebody points out a fallacy, and you call fallacy fallacy, that doesn't mean you are right. That just means you committed the very fallacy you accused your opponent of.
[+] 1 user Likes spinosauruskin's post
07-09-2014, 10:42 PM
I just wanted to say I find the choice of the word "probing" in the thread title absolutely hilarious.

[Image: giphy.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Tartarus Sauce's post