Probiotics

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
28-11-2013, 03:04 PM
Probiotics
I've had gastritis and various other forms of gastrointestinal distress for a while now. Doc gives me all sorta meds to coat my stomach and reduce my stomach acid. And immodium when I got the squirts and a stool softener when I'm constipated. A week ago I was in Costco and see they got their own brand of probiotics and it's cheap. Like $0.12 a pill cheap for 10 billion critters. Figured it was worth a try. And I'll be damned, a week later no gastritis, no heartburn, nice healthy stools. Fuckin' Doc should've told me about these months ago.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
28-11-2013, 03:06 PM
RE: Probiotics
Someone here will say it's woo.

I say if it's working and you feel better, then score! Thumbsup

See here they are the bruises some were self-inflicted and some showed up along the way. - JF

We're all mad here. The Cheshire Cat
28-11-2013, 05:45 PM
I'm a bit dubious about the probiotics due to there not being much evidence of them passing through the gut alive. You could be experiencing a regression to the mean or a condition running its course. That said if you had completely destroyed your gut biome somehow and a few did slip through it should help.

The real reason I'm posing is to share the most effective medical treatment for such conditions: Fecal transplant[1]

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fecal_bacteriotherapy

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
[+] 1 user Likes Hafnof's post
28-11-2013, 05:50 PM
Yoghurt + Psyllium husk = reliable, pleasant, non - irritating regularity.

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
[+] 1 user Likes Dom's post
28-11-2013, 06:37 PM
(28-11-2013 05:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yoghurt + Psyllium husk = reliable, pleasant, non - irritating regularity.

Beer + pizza works for me.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
28-11-2013, 07:01 PM
(28-11-2013 05:50 PM)Dom Wrote:  Yoghurt + Psyllium husk = reliable, pleasant, non - irritating regularity.

That. But I don't do a yogurt everyday so the pill compensates for it,

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
28-11-2013, 07:19 PM
Like Hafnof said, I thought there was some concern over weather or not they survived the low tummy ph. :/

THIS USER IS NO LONGER ACTIVE. THANK YOU, AND HAVE A GREAT DAY! http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...a-few-days
28-11-2013, 07:45 PM
(28-11-2013 05:45 PM)Hafnof Wrote:  That said if you had completely destroyed your gut biome somehow and a few did slip through it should help.

A fifth of vodka a day is likely to destroy my gut. Probiotics for the win.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
28-11-2013, 09:49 PM
If it continues to work for you, who cares about studies. There's virtually no risk to you other than a possible return of your symptoms and it sounds like you fought with this on all the previous medications anyways. I'd call it a win.

Believe nothing, no matter where you read it, or who has said it- not even if I have said it- unless it agrees with your own reason and your own common sense. - Buddha
29-11-2013, 03:21 AM
(28-11-2013 03:04 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I've had gastritis and various other forms of gastrointestinal distress for a while now. Doc gives me all sorta meds to coat my stomach and reduce my stomach acid. And immodium when I got the squirts and a stool softener when I'm constipated. A week ago I was in Costco and see they got their own brand of probiotics and it's cheap. Like $0.12 a pill cheap for 10 billion critters. Figured it was worth a try. And I'll be damned, a week later no gastritis, no heartburn, nice healthy stools. Fuckin' Doc should've told me about these months ago.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22529959
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23981066
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chippy's post