Problem of Evil and an Impotent God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2013, 07:01 AM
Problem of Evil and an Impotent God
Hello guys.

I thought before regarding the problem of evil. It forces believers to accept that their god cannot be both omnipotent and benevolent. I thought that it would be preferable to accept that god is not omnipotent over that god is not benevolent (after all, why worship a malevolent god?).

I would like to ask the implications of a god who is not omnipotent. Back when I was a Christian, I simply shrugged off that perhaps god still has a lot of power (considering that omnipotence is the absolute in power; just because one is not omnipotent doesn't mean that he is not powerful at all).

Is it undesirable to have our hypothetical god as not omnipotent?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-01-2013, 07:28 AM
RE: Problem of Evil and an Impotent God
(18-01-2013 07:01 AM)Chujutsu Wrote:  Hello guys.

I thought before regarding the problem of evil. It forces believers to accept that their god cannot be both omnipotent and benevolent. I thought that it would be preferable to accept that god is not omnipotent over that god is not benevolent (after all, why worship a malevolent god?).

I would like to ask the implications of a god who is not omnipotent. Back when I was a Christian, I simply shrugged off that perhaps god still has a lot of power (considering that omnipotence is the absolute in power; just because one is not omnipotent doesn't mean that he is not powerful at all).

A god that is not omnipotent would be more consistent with the evidence.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 5 users Like Chas's post
18-01-2013, 07:36 AM
(18-01-2013 07:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-01-2013 07:01 AM)Chujutsu Wrote:  Hello guys.

A god that is not omnipotent would be more consistent with the evidence.

And so would one or more malevolent ones...

[Image: GrumpyCat_01.gif]
18-01-2013, 07:37 AM
(18-01-2013 07:36 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(18-01-2013 07:28 AM)Chas Wrote:  A god that is not omnipotent would be more consistent with the evidence.

And so would one or more malevolent ones...
Yup.

18-01-2013, 07:46 AM
(18-01-2013 07:01 AM)Chujutsu Wrote:  Is it undesirable to have our hypothetical god as not omnipotent?
Is there any reason to have a hypothetical God ?

Once you remove qualities like omnipotence and omnibenevolence you've gotta wonder what this guy has to offer which makes him worth worshiping ?
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
18-01-2013, 07:46 AM
If he were omnipotent, he'd be the most malevolent being ever.

[Image: dobie.png]

Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man
18-01-2013, 07:48 AM
(18-01-2013 07:46 AM)Dom Wrote:  If he were omnipotent, he'd be the most malevolent being ever.

No, Dom, things could be much worse than they are. Shocking

18-01-2013, 07:55 AM
(18-01-2013 07:46 AM)morondog Wrote:  Is there any reason to have a hypothetical God ?

Once you remove qualities like omnipotence and omnibenevolence you've gotta wonder what this guy has to offer which makes him worth worshiping ?
I know that there isn't a reason to have such a deity. I was just wondering how a benevolent but impotent god would be undesirable. While I was a Christian, I thought of god not being omnipotent but benevolent. I managed to go on with my belief until I saw DarkMatter2525's video regarding prayer (it's the one titled "God's Priorities").

However, I realize that the argument from prayer (that god does not prefer those who are suffering) is quite limited to Christianity (as far as I know; I am not well-versed in other religions to determine whether or not if their holy texts say that their deity answers their equivalent of prayers).

I was wondering if the argument of evil could hit harder and force believers to accept that even with an impotent god, their god is useless.

I realized that if god was malevolent, then worshiping him is a morally reprehensible thing to do. That would make the religion quite undesirable.
18-01-2013, 08:04 AM
Tell that to KC (our resident Calvinist). He worships a malevolent God. He himself is an OK guy. But his God... Undecided Eish.

The thing is... this kind of thing - believers are used to picking and choosing what they believe about God. If you tell them 'Your God is benevolent but impotent' - they'll just say 'well, that's *your* God. My God is benevolent and fucking awesome - and omnipotent'. They don't *care* about the logic problem - to them that's an issue for theologians and people with too much time on their hands.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
18-01-2013, 08:41 AM
Am I reading the title of the thread right?

It says that God suffers from impotence...

Come on guys, there's more relevant things we could rip on God about without discussing whether or not he can get it up or not...

Obama promised you change. Reach in your pocket, feel those coins? There's your change...