Problem of suffering....

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
26-10-2016, 10:35 AM (This post was last modified: 26-10-2016 11:29 AM by Velvet.)
RE: Problem of suffering....
(26-10-2016 10:21 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  The problem with an omniscient god who is also merciful and forgiving is that he knew from the get-go every choice, path and endpoint of each person's life. He has pre-knowledge of all things. He knows in advance, even before he starts to create the universe, that billions of people will end up roasting and suffering in hell for eternity yet he goes ahead and creates people anyway. How is this merciful?

This pre-knowledge argument its actually my favorite, it should be the nail in the coffin for christianity, but unfortunally I can't seem to have any success with it, it just hits the theist and drops on the ground like it was nothing, I'm not sure why they are impervious this way but I just gave up using arguments that attack the god figure because it wasn't effective.

(26-10-2016 10:29 AM)SYZ Wrote:  I agree totally with this question. After spending my entire adult life as an atheist, I seriously fail to understand why normally logical, philosophically-minded people, grounded in modern scientific principles see the need to (i) fruitlessly engage with theists in any attempts to "prove" their mythological gods do not exist, and (ii) waste their otherwise more valuable time debating the merits—or contrarily-wise—of theism/deism as a whole.

I can't even be bothered debating the pros and cons of religion with the theists on this forum at any philosophical or exhaustive level simply because I know in advance I'll ultimately be wasting my time. Any commonsense logic I suggest will be bound to fall on deaf ears and a gullible, closed mind.

Because (i) (fruitlessly) has been shown false on my experience, the only way I could make a theist scrach his head and seriously consider my arguments to the point of actually changing his stance was making him/her critically think about his own religion first without implying that it could be not true.

Its a process.

Oh perhaps you are questioning why its useful to engage them in the first place? ... to help them of course, it just breaks my heart seeing people being ignorant, i'm a sensible one.

That which can be destroyed by the truth should be.”
-P.C. Hodgell - Seeker’s Mask - Kirien
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply