Problems do not always have biblical solutions

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-02-2013, 05:59 PM (This post was last modified: 26-02-2013 02:34 PM by lizzielee.)
Problems do not always have biblical solutions
I was a Christian this year up untill second semester I had to just call it quits.
I got tired of the idea that everytime I have a problem I have to use Jesus to help me. I came to a point where I'd much rather just solve my issues myself.
Yes the youth pastor changed the theme around but when it came to personal problem to relate to I always thought of math.
For a while I had struggled with getting testing for a rare learning disability called Dyscalculia which is basically the math version of Dyslexia. In the back of my mind for such a long time I was in denial that this was a long term problem. It didn't matter how many times I wrote Math on a little sheet of paper and nailed it to the cross. Math was a long term problem and I eventually did get a test(I haven't recieved the result yet though) without a God helping me.
After I quit religion I felt so free. I didn't have to search through the bible trying to find solutions to all my problems. I finally accepted my belief of reason over faith.
So many issues are out of our control and there's nothing a God can do to fix them. It's not been easy breaking out of religion. I come from a very Christian family. I am the only Atheist living in my house. I've told my parents and they're coming to accept it. It wasn't easy for them to take at first.
Any one is capable of doing what is wrong and right so don't tell me I don't have morals for being an Atheist. Just because you're a Christian doesn't always make you a better person. Unfortunately because so many people don't always do what Jesus says. Jesus says to love and care for others. A kid may go to a bible study meeting in the morning at school and then later in the day make fun of a girl who's wearing a tacky outfit or something.
Yes I can understand how the bible can teach lessons. Literature is full of lessons which is why we study Shakespeare, and other forms of literature in school. There are only a certain amount of lessons you can get out of a piece of literature. Yes the bible can have some answers, but the idea that all answers for life's difficulties are found in the bible is wrong. There are very logical explanations for things that the bible does not teach. It's so easy to take a verse and stretch it.
Like for example I was once at this bible study meeting in elementry school right before school started. This guy was talking about how Disney wanted to buy his radio and he wasn't going to let God keep him from buying the radio. God is more powerful! Eventually Disney bought it. So when my church said we should pray that the school district doesn't buy our church I lost it. There are certain issues like this that have nothing to do with a God guiding you.
Many things you pray about can eventually solve out on their own. Do you really have to pray that a cold goes away? It will eventually go away. Do you really have to pray that you finish off the semeter well? Atheists can still graduate high school. These issues were common prayer requests I heard in youth group. This is what I mean by the stress I face with having to use "God" to guide me. Just use common sense,let things solve on their own and they will.

" If you're brave enough to say goodbye, life will reward you with a new hello" Paulo Coelho
"If you pray for rain it eventually does fall. If you pray for floodwaters to abate, they eventually do. The same happens in the absence of prayers" Steve Allen
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like lizzielee's post
08-05-2013, 09:54 PM
RE: Problems do not always have biblical solutions
Oh my god you are pretty much the female version of me! It is crap to think that all problems can be solved by the bible. I get angry when my mom refers me to it. How long did it take you to stop praying? For me it took maybe one week and a few days worth of actively stopping myself in the act. This whole year I haven't even prayed before a test. I've been kicking ass let me tell you.

It is so liberating. I feel like I've got some kind of advantage over people that submit themselves to this mental slavery. I'm glad I found freedom before earning my first salary. I would have given 10% of it as a bloody tithe! My mom always used to tell me how it's stealing from God to not give a tithe. Geez, like taxes aren't enough.

Im really glad you found freedom.
[+] 1 user Likes BlackMason's post
17-06-2013, 09:24 AM
I had just suggested this as a topic on the podcast. Bad biblical advice. From medical advice via prayer, to finances and relationships, well intentioned Pastors/Christians seem to have horrible solutions to real problems. Smile

"Now I don't want to be sane either, but I'm just saying there may be other delusions and hallucinations worthy of consideration before jumping to an irrational conclusion, that's all."
17-06-2013, 03:17 PM
I read the Bible many times and I can say that find answers in this book is difficult.

I pray many times and I suppose that you know the result.