Processor Upgrade

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
27-05-2016, 07:45 PM
Processor Upgrade
My PC is ancient, and is in dire need of an upgrade.

I was lucky enough to be given an NVidea GT520 friend (massive improvement over my old 128 MB card), but the processor is still an old Pentium 4. And I could do with a lot more RAM.

The CPU is the main problem though (its struggling with Oblivion), but I can't afford a brand new, bang up to date one. Can anyone recommend a half decent processor, from within the last couple of years or so, that I can install without replacing the motherboard? Also is it just a case of plug and play, or am I going to have to arse around with it forever?

I've been Googling about this, but most of the info is from about 6 years ago.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
27-05-2016, 08:03 PM
RE: Processor Upgrade
How much are you looking to spend?

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
Find all posts by this user
27-05-2016, 08:46 PM
(27-05-2016 08:03 PM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  How much are you looking to spend?

Ideally no more than about £30-£40 for a second hand one.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
27-05-2016, 11:41 PM
You'll have to find out what kind of CPU socket is on your motherboard before we can help you pick a better processor. An easy way to find it out in this case is to take the CPU out of your system and check if the socket is either made out of white/beige plastic that is full of small holes (type 423/478) or made out of metal and full of golden pins (type LGA 775).

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 2 users Like Vosur's post
28-05-2016, 12:33 AM
Aw man, struggling with Oblivion? Shocking

Also, before you go digging into your case, always be careful of static electricity. So don't do this kind of work on a shag carpet while wearing wool socks and sweat pants. Always discharge any built up static by touching a grounded piece of metal. Also, always be very delicate with CPU's. Their pins are very small and fragile. You should NEVER have to FORCE one into a socket. Also you'll have to remove the CPU fan to get to the CPU, and that means breaking the thermal paste. Given how old it sound like your computer is, you're going to need to reapply paste; both when reattaching your current setup and whenever you install a new CPU. Stuff is pretty cheap fortunately, but it is something else you will need to get. Arctic Silver 5 is basically the industry standard, and I can get it for as cheap as $7 on Newegg or under $6 on Amazon.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
28-05-2016, 12:48 AM
(28-05-2016 12:33 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Arctic Silver 5 is basically the industry standard, and I can get it for as cheap as $7 on Newegg or under $6 on Amazon.
His CPU budget is $44 to $58, mate. I seriously doubt he can spare $6 just for thermal paste. Tongue

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
28-05-2016, 05:19 AM
That budget might be difficult. CPU, RAM, and motherboard are the core components of the system that must be compatible. It can be hard to upgrade one without affecting others. If you only want to touch the CPU only you must buy a new CPU that matches your current motherboard socket. Even if you can match the socket your motherboard might not be able to handle a newer chip. Can you identify your motherboard model?

Wikipedia tells me the Pentium 4 could have been socket 423, 478, or LGA775. If you're lucky your motherboard is the latter LGA775 but that's still a very limited configuration. You might not be able to go any further than the Pentium 4 series. See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGA_775

Give me your argument in the form of a published paper, and then we can start to talk.
28-05-2016, 07:59 AM
I think its an LGA775 socket, but I've just read that it can't accept multi-core processors.

There is a possibility that my mate still has the motherboard from his old gaming PC.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
28-05-2016, 09:01 AM
Another question is what do you currently have?

And by that, I mean the motherboard, total RAM, etc.

"If we are honest—and scientists have to be—we must admit that religion is a jumble of false assertions, with no basis in reality.
The very idea of God is a product of the human imagination."
- Paul Dirac
28-05-2016, 09:23 AM
(28-05-2016 09:01 AM)The Organic Chemist Wrote:  Another question is what do you currently have?

And by that, I mean the motherboard, total RAM, etc.

Its an HP Workstation xw4200, with Intel Pentium 4 3.20 GHz processor. 2GB RAM, NVidea GeForce GT520 graphics card.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]