Processor Upgrade

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
29-05-2016, 03:18 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 03:36 AM by EvolutionKills.)
RE: Processor Upgrade
(28-05-2016 12:48 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 12:33 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  Arctic Silver 5 is basically the industry standard, and I can get it for as cheap as $7 on Newegg or under $6 on Amazon.
His CPU budget is $44 to $58, mate. I seriously doubt he can spare $6 just for thermal paste. Tongue

If his CPU, and it's heat sink, are both as old as they sound, he doesn't have a choice. Removing the heat sink will break the bond, and if the paste is that old, it'll have to be cleaned off with rubbing alcohol and a new layer will have to be applied. If he's seriously considering getting a replacement CPU, he'll have to do it again at installation anyways. Fresh thermal paste is part of the buy in when replacing a CPU. If he doesn't apply the paste, the heat sink won't make good contact, and then he'll run the great risk of overheating and thermal failure. Then he'd be out the entire cost of the CPU, not just the thermal paste.

If you can't afford thermal paste, you can't afford to upgrade your CPU.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
29-05-2016, 03:36 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 10:34 PM by EvolutionKills.)
(28-05-2016 07:59 AM)Sam Wrote:  I think its an LGA775 socket, but I've just read that it can't accept multi-core processors.

There is a possibility that my mate still has the motherboard from his old gaming PC.

Keep in mind that it will have sockets not just for the CPU, but also for the memory, hard drives, and the GPU; and they might all be different than what you have lying around. If that's a newer motherboard, it'll probably support either GDDR3 or GDDR4 memory and SATA connectors for drives, but your computer sounds so old that it might have GDDR2 or earlier formats. So you'd not only be buying a CPU, but you'd also need to get RAM to match the new motherboard as well. While the nVidia GTX 520 is by no means anything close to hobby grade, it is a PCI Express 2.0 interface; meaning that if your motherboard isn't at least PCI-E 2.0 compatible, even it's paltry performance will be severely bottle-necked by the limited bandwidth with which it can communicate through your motherboard (and thus, the rest of your PC).

The computer I built in 2006 had a 3.0GHz Pentium core 2 duo, GDDR2 memory (2GB), and a PCI Express 1.0 slot for the GPU; and I originally had a EVGA nVidia GT8800 512mb in that sucker. I kept that thing chugging along until 2014 with an additional 2GB or RAM, a 2.66GHz quad-core, and a nVidia GTX 460.

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
29-05-2016, 03:38 AM
(29-05-2016 03:18 AM)EvolutionKills Wrote:  
(28-05-2016 12:48 AM)Vosur Wrote:  His CPU budget is $44 to $58, mate. I seriously doubt he can spare $6 just for thermal paste. Tongue

If his CPU, and it's heat sink, are both as old as they sound, he doesn't have a choice. Removing the heat sink will break the bond, and if the paste is that old, it'll have to be cleaned off with rubbing alcohol and a new layer will have to be applied. If he's seriously considering getting a replacement CPU, he'll have to do it again at installation anyways. Fresh thermal paste is part of the buy in when replacing a CPU. If he doesn't apply the paste, the heat sink won't make good contact, and then he'll run the great risk of overheating and thermal failure. Then he'd be out the entire cost of the CPU, not just the thermal paste.

If you can't afford thermal paste, you can't afford to upgrade your CPU.
I'm not arguing against buying thermal paste in general, I'm arguing against buying one that is this expensive. You can get thermal paste for as little as one or two bucks on Amazon. He seriously doesn't need high-quality stuff with a Pentium CPU.

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
29-05-2016, 07:41 AM
Hmmm.... This looks like it could get expensive.

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
29-05-2016, 08:14 AM (This post was last modified: 29-05-2016 09:38 AM by skyking.)
I can look on the tech boards for a combination.
So far I found a Biostar
1155 motherboard that will support up to the core I-7's
It has a dual core celeron g530 @ 2.4 ghz that benchmarks at 4x the processor you currently have. $55 USD
That processor would do till you found a decently priced I-5 or I-7.
I think some careful looking will find you something similar in the UK.
I'd think you could get a combo with ram included in your budget range. Even an old core2duo would mop the floor with your P4.
06-06-2016, 06:17 PM
I've been talking to my mate... In a week or two he's going to completely upgrade it for me. Motherboard, processor, case, the lot. Even getting a new monitor!!!

Fun times...

[img]

via GIPHY

[/img]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Sam's post