Procrastinating

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
24-02-2016, 12:54 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2016 12:57 PM by Deltabravo.)
Procrastinating
I am annoyed with myself on a number of levels. I wrote a paper a while ago and sent it to a few friends and professionals. I knew it wasn't as good as it should be and the last half of it was kind of disjointed because I couldn't tie up my thoughts properly. I sent it to an uncle who is a retired professor and he tore it to shreds but then I had someone in the field I was writing about say it was "brilliant" and he wants to quote from it at a conference in April.

I started rewriting the last half of the paper again and have developed a mental block. It's about 30 pages and I just can't get to grips with editing it. I've printed it out, cut and pasted it, reworked in in word, and nothing works. Every time I read it, my mind just goes numb and I can't carry on. I just want to do anything else.

I read something on the internet about a "nothing alternative". If you say to yourself that you are going to do "nothing" instead of the paper, then your brain gets bored and you do the paper. My problem is I just want to do anything else but get down to finishing this off.

Also, I keep thinking about what I have been doing here for the past year or so and I get very annoyed.

I have been on a few forums and the antagonism that builds up from just posting random thoughts which occur in any intellectual journey is very disturbing. I often think of what I have "discovered" since moving here, near to the Syrian conflict and I wonder why other people have difficulty seeing what I am seeing and only see religion and world politics/history from a narrow Western perspective. I think one can be criticized for not relying on "peer reviewed" material if one is posting about a scientific subject but what are talking about here? Dogma, indoctrination, false history, false science, creationism, angels, gods, walking on water, magic, virgin birth.... So you come here and say that Josephus said that the "Jews" were Armenians... and you get someone claiming to be a Harvard PhD candidate practically reaching out of the computer screen wanting to strangle you. WTF.

I mean, seriously, get a grip... I came here to blow out the cobwebs among people who I thought were open minded. Nup! forget it. This isn't for open minded people. I've come across more close minded badgering and intimidation here than I would get if I stood up in a bible class and said I was a Satanist.

I just can't get to grips with this place and some of the senior, "respected" posters here and that has affected me because I feel the need to vent my spleen about this problem.

People go to forums to get intellectual support or to exchange ideas. We all have ideas. What I have got here is mainly just insults. That also distracts from what I am doing in my own life.

Maybe it is a function of getting involved in internet forums, but, hey, what do you do?

Post seriously, post with serious science backing you, post humourously...it doesn't matter what you do, you get the same obnoxious replies. Try giving up, but where do you go to put ideas out? What is the point of this forum??? Being an atheist was until relatively recently, punishable by death. It involves standing up to mass indoctrination and lies. You have to be strong to do that. Come here and the atheists beat up the atheists and intimidate them. Some people here are worse than religious zealots.

Find me a forum where people can talk and not be abused. What's the point of this place?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
24-02-2016, 12:59 PM (This post was last modified: 24-02-2016 01:06 PM by DLJ.)
RE: Procrastinating
I'll get back to you on this in a while. I have some sleeping to do.

Just kidding.

Here's the thing... first impressions.

Some people will arrive at a house party and quietly say "hi" and introduce themselves or wait for someone to notice them etc. Others will burst in on conversations and hold court. Indeed, there's a whole spectrum of entrances and reactions.

Have a think about how you came to the party (for all the fora you joined) and see where you appear on that spectrum.

Get back to me after you've thunked, and after you've finished your paper. You'll find me in the kitchen cleaning up the spilled wine and flirting with the hostess.

24-02-2016, 01:01 PM
(24-02-2016 12:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'll get back to you on this in a while. I have some sleeping to do.

Night night. Sleepy

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-02-2016, 01:06 PM
I also was asked by my Embassy here to look after a 91 year old lady who's only family member died in December. My wife and I had to take her into our home where she is now. After doing that, I realized that there was a plan afoot among Embassy staff and some local people to end this woman's life and take her money. She had been repeatedly starved nearly to death by her son who then had a heart attack. With that the Embassy was contacted and a consular rep got hold of it and found out she had no relatives and a lot of money, as did some neighbours and friends. So, they hatched a plan to get her out of here into a care home paid for by the government. I was supposed to get hold of her financial affairs and a local lawyer was then going to tell me what to do. The money would have ended up in the hands of the lawyer who would have dispensed it to all the "team".

I got a power of attorney for the lady and hid her and all hell broke lose.

I eventually had to get the local Reverand to meet with me and the Embassy staff and mediate the situation. The consular rep had taken the sons phone and she handed it over I found text messages from the son to his friends saying he was starving his mother to death and they were not to resuscitate her.

I think I am in shock.
24-02-2016, 01:06 PM
You know, this forum isn't for everyone. If you're not happy with the discussion that takes place here, why the heck are you here at all? Honest question.

So many cats, so few good recipes.
[+] 1 user Likes Stark Raving's post
24-02-2016, 01:09 PM
It's called Liverpool Pathway. When you decide a person is terminal you stop feeding them. Except if they aren't terminal it raises "ethical" issues...
24-02-2016, 01:15 PM
I came here because I have a lot on my mind and I need somewhere to let it out. I am an atheist and have long had problems arising out of having been raised in the Bible Belt. I had to leave home and never went back.

Yes, forums aren't for everyone. I don't own this forum.

But, where does one go, what does one do? Do you say, of feck it, I'll just not say anything to anyone or do you speak your mind among people who you feel would be the most accepting and least judgmental.

The attitude here seems to be that if you don't fit in exactly to the prevailing mindset, just f off. I have a hard time accepting that this is or should be acceptable in any way in a forum which should be full of people who understand what it is to be isolated in a society which holds wrong beliefs which they won't let go of and tell YOU that it is YOU who have to leave.

Just sayin.

I'll thunk sumore.
[+] 1 user Likes Deltabravo's post
24-02-2016, 01:21 PM
(24-02-2016 01:15 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I came here because I have a lot on my mind and I need somewhere to let it out. I am an atheist and have long had problems arising out of having been raised in the Bible Belt. I had to leave home and never went back.

Yes, forums aren't for everyone. I don't own this forum.

But, where does one go, what does one do? Do you say, of feck it, I'll just not say anything to anyone or do you speak your mind among people who you feel would be the most accepting and least judgmental.

The attitude here seems to be that if you don't fit in exactly to the prevailing mindset, just f off. I have a hard time accepting that this is or should be acceptable in any way in a forum which should be full of people who understand what it is to be isolated in a society which holds wrong beliefs which they won't let go of and tell YOU that it is YOU who have to leave.

Just sayin.

I'll thunk sumore.

All forums are like that to a certain degree. If you join a forum that discusses movies and you only want to talk about music you'll eventually have issues. Sure people might let it slide if you talk about music used in movies...or they might become annoyed if you constantly push your music agenda down their throats.

You have to decide to move on and find a place that's more suited to you.

But as if to knock me down, reality came around
And without so much as a mere touch, cut me into little pieces

24-02-2016, 01:27 PM
(24-02-2016 12:59 PM)DLJ Wrote:  I'll get back to you on this in a while. I have some sleeping to do.

Just kidding.

Here's the thing... first impressions.

Some people will arrive at a house party and quietly say "hi" and introduce themselves or wait for someone to notice them etc. Others will burst in on conversations and hold court. Indeed, there's a whole spectrum of entrances and reactions.

Have a think about how you came to the party (for all the fora you joined) and see where you appear on that spectrum.

Get back to me after you've thunked, and after you've finished your paper. You'll find me in the kitchen cleaning up the spilled wine and flirting with the hostess.

First impressions can be misleading, of course.

I am a key member of a major forum so I don't actually have a problem with that.

I was on another atheist forum before coming here and realized that there were only about 10 regulars. One was the descendant of General Burleson and was writing a modern version of the New Testament with himself as the messiah figure. Two others were Christians. Another was a "gimp" who was taunted for being a dogmatic Roman Catholic and the rest were mainly psychotic or "good ole southern boys".

I came to the conclusion that some atheistic forums are populated by people who want to discredit atheism and rationalism by making us look like psychopaths or that a lot of people are psychopaths and can't distinguish between atheism and moral nihilism. Others just have no filter and enjoy reading their own "witty" insults.
24-02-2016, 01:29 PM
(24-02-2016 01:06 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I also was asked by my Embassy here to look after a 91 year old lady who's only family member died in December. My wife and I had to take her into our home where she is now. After doing that, I realized that there was a plan afoot among Embassy staff and some local people to end this woman's life and take her money. She had been repeatedly starved nearly to death by her son who then had a heart attack. With that the Embassy was contacted and a consular rep got hold of it and found out she had no relatives and a lot of money, as did some neighbours and friends. So, they hatched a plan to get her out of here into a care home paid for by the government. I was supposed to get hold of her financial affairs and a local lawyer was then going to tell me what to do. The money would have ended up in the hands of the lawyer who would have dispensed it to all the "team".

I got a power of attorney for the lady and hid her and all hell broke lose.

I eventually had to get the local Reverand to meet with me and the Embassy staff and mediate the situation. The consular rep had taken the sons phone and she handed it over I found text messages from the son to his friends saying he was starving his mother to death and they were not to resuscitate her.

I think I am in shock.

This is quite a story!

[Image: dobie.png]Science is the process we've designed to be responsible for generating our best guess as to what the fuck is going on. Girly Man