Procrastination

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-06-2017, 11:05 AM
Procrastination
There's other shit I should be doing right now but instead I'm distracting myself by making this thread. Change the oil. Go shopping. Do the dishes. Look for a new job (I have one but hate it). Brush my teeth. Pay my bills. Put air in the tires. Fix the sprayer on my sink. Change a light bulb. Change the AC filter. Put another screw in the door hinge so the door doesn't stick. Put wiper fluid in the damn thing. Wash my clothes. Shave. Get a haircut. Clip my nails. Call my mom. The only things I don't put off are reading, listening to music and podcasts, and taking naps. Next thing I know another decade snuck up and passed me by. It adds up. I'm not sure if I even fucking care though. I know people who stay busy and a lot of them are miserable. But boy are their fridges clean. I don't think I've ever cleaned a fridge.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes I'mFred's post
23-06-2017, 11:10 AM
RE: Procrastination
I have a solution, but I'll tell you later.

Smile
[+] 5 users Like ResidentEvilFan's post
23-06-2017, 11:13 AM
(23-06-2017 11:05 AM)ImFred Wrote:  There's other shit I should be doing right now but instead I'm distracting myself by making this thread. Change the oil. Go shopping. Do the dishes. Look for a new job (I have one but hate it). Brush my teeth. Pay my bills. Put air in the tires. Fix the sprayer on my sink. Change a light bulb. Change the AC filter. Put another screw in the door hinge so the door doesn't stick. Put wiper fluid in the damn thing. Wash my clothes. Shave. Get a haircut. Clip my nails. Call my mom. The only things I don't put off are reading, listening to music and podcasts, and taking naps. Next thing I know another decade snuck up and passed me by. It adds up. I'm not sure if I even fucking care though. I know people who stay busy and a lot of them are miserable. But boy are their fridges clean. I don't think I've ever cleaned a fridge.

My wife asked me to clean the fridge today while she is out...then she went shopping...I'll start doing it about 5 seconds after I see her car pull in. Adding to this thread seems more important right now for some reason.

A friend in the hole

"If we're going to be damned, let's be damned for what we really are." - Captain Picard
[+] 4 users Like unsapien's post
23-06-2017, 11:47 AM
Creative procrastination can certainly be useful. The idea is that one can put off a big, unpleasant job by doing smaller, less unpleasant jobs. Then you can claim to be busy and productive while avoiding the thing you really don't want to do. Big Grin It works for me. My kitchen ceiling needs repainting. I haven't started on it yet because I really "needed" to touch up a corner in the living room, replace a couple of tiles in the entry, adjust a wobbly ceiling fan, and clean out the front closet. I'll get to the ceiling .. um .. when other stuff is done. I get the laundry done because I'm avoiding cleaning the storage room. My back garden is overgrown and full of weeds, but the front flower be is looking good! I could write a long essay on the subject, but I really have to go feed the cat.
[+] 2 users Like Rockblossom's post
23-06-2017, 12:27 PM
Don't be too concerned mate. I'm a great believer in putting off doing today what you can do tomorrow. You'll find life a lot more relaxed. Thumbsup

I'm a creationist... I believe that man created God.
[+] 2 users Like SYZ's post
23-06-2017, 01:00 PM
(Springy G comes stomping in) Back! Back, all of you! I have a to-do list, and it's razor-sharp (or at least paper-cut sharp)!

When trying to deal with procrastination, one important thing to keep in mind is that you generally can't use willpower to power through it. It's currently thought that willpower is a limited resource that is depleted during the day. There's also the problem of decision fatigue when you have too many choices of things to do, and the only way to fix that is by reducing the number of possibilities. Here are a few things to try:
  • Habit patterns. Read The Power of Habit by Charles Duhigg, or watch one of the animated summaries on YouTube. There's a cue-action-reward cycle at work behind the scenes, and you either have to create a new cue to prompt you to do something, or get rid of a cue that prompts you to do a time-waster (e.g., when you walk into a certain room and turn on the light, you then turn on your computer and start surfing the Net).
  • "Next action" (from David Allan's Getting Things Done). Figure out the first thing you need to do for each task (for example, find the nail clipper or buy a jug of washer fluid).
  • You might simply be overwhelmed by a cluttered environment. Toss crap out, or give it away, and find suitable places for each item you want to keep. You can also toss out non-essential tasks, things you were thinking of doing but that don't need to be done at all.
And of course you can always just hire someone to do some of these things on your behalf.

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
23-06-2017, 01:02 PM
I stopped procrastinating so much when I lowered my standards.

Hobo
[+] 3 users Like Thoreauvian's post
23-06-2017, 01:27 PM
It's even worse when your indecisive AND a procrastinator. Then you can't decide which thing you want to put off doing.

What happens to me is probably odd. I don't plan on doing stuff I just start on some small item and then one thing leads to another and it has a snow ball effect.

For 15 years I've wanted to remove the popcorn ceiling from the dining area (hate that stuff) so about a month ago I was fixing the bottom part of the cabinet under the sink where we pull the garbage can in and out. The bottom ridge is all worn down from the bottom of the garbage can hitting it. Anyway, I finally fixed it! Then I looked up at that ceiling and for some reason I knew then and there that I was going to tackle that popcorn. So I did that too. Then I looked at the crappy cabinets and fixed them too. I sanded them and painted them and put on new hinges. I'm still in the fixing mood. I don't know what's next but whatever it is it's getting fixed. Angry

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
[+] 1 user Likes dancefortwo's post
23-06-2017, 02:02 PM
About the only chore I seriously procrastinate over is doing the dishes. The sink is usually full by the time I get around to washing them. What I miss most about my last girlfriend was that the sex was great and she always insisted on doing the dishes. Shy
23-06-2017, 02:27 PM
A woman who won't wash the dishes probably won't suck your dick either. Always wants you on top doing all the pumping.
[+] 2 users Like I'mFred's post