Prog and fusion thread

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
06-09-2015, 10:08 PM
RE: Prog thread

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post
11-09-2015, 06:49 AM

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
Banjo.
[+] 1 user Likes Banjo's post
14-09-2015, 11:39 AM
So because of this thread, I've been listening to this almost non-stop for the last week.

I think it's now my favourite rendition of Supper's Ready...

And a thought flits between my few remaining brain cells...

Q: Why isn't this just a tribute band?

A: Because it's fronted by an original(ish) band member.

Is this an appeal to authority? Is there such a thing as an appeal to pedigree?

I mean, is this the same human-naturey thing that means a given tradition carries more weight if it can be linked back to YHWH, Jesus or Mo?

From page #437 of The Portable Atheist:

Quote:"Traditions from Successors [to the Prophet] become traditions from Companions [of the Prophet], and Traditions from Companions become Traditions from the Prophet". Details from the life of the Prophet were invented to support legal doctrines.

Consider

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
29-09-2015, 05:23 AM
The album that showed me my future career. Although I often played pop music, Kylie Minogue etc, I became a jazz player after this album and sought out Virgil Donati as my drum teacher.

Close to the edge. Yes. I think it one of, if not the pinnacle of what became known as Progressive rock. Followed by Red, by King Crimson. After that Discipline and Beat and Three of a perfect pair were the very last of the progressive movement. All that has followed was is a just a pale copy IMHO. Although Porcupine tree has the greatest drummer in Progressive rock since Bruford in its lineup. When Bruford refused to play with Crimson Fripp enlisted Gavin Harrison from Porcupine tree.

Full album.

Banjo.
29-09-2015, 06:09 AM
Perhaps the greatest Progressive record of all. Discipline by King Crimson.

Banjo.
29-09-2015, 06:20 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2015 06:28 AM by Banjo.)
(14-09-2015 11:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So because of this thread, I've been listening to this almost non-stop for the last week.

I mean, is this the same human-naturey thing that means a given tradition carries more weight if it can be linked back to YHWH, Jesus or Mo?

Quote:"Traditions from Successors [to the Prophet] become traditions from Companions [of the Prophet], and Traditions from Companions become Traditions from the Prophet". Details from the life of the Prophet were invented to support legal doctrines.

Consider

NOTE: Steve Hackett is NOT an original member, He replaced Anthony Phillips.

Steve turned up at the Wembley reunion gig and asked to take part. The band politely told him "No".

According to Bruford, Genesis is one of the nicest outfits on the planet. End of Bruford quote. .

But Steve left in a huff because he thought more of his songs should be included on Wind and wuthering. sure guitarist, Fuck off, Lovely though he is. He was not necessary, As the band proved, The drummer was the genius in that band.

Banjo.
29-09-2015, 07:13 AM
(29-09-2015 06:20 AM)Banjo Wrote:  
(14-09-2015 11:39 AM)DLJ Wrote:  So because of this thread, I've been listening to this almost non-stop for the last week.

Consider

NOTE: Steve Hackett is NOT an original member, He replaced Anthony Phillips.

Steve turned up at the Wembley reunion gig and asked to take part. The band politely told him "No".

According to Bruford, Genesis is one of the nicest outfits on the planet. End of Bruford quote. .

But Steve left in a huff because he thought more of his songs should be included on Wind and wuthering. sure guitarist, Fuck off, Lovely though he is. He was not necessary, As the band proved, The drummer was the genius in that band.

You missed the "ish"?

Just my opinion / taste but And Then There Were Three was the last good album they made. All good writers ... but great in combination.

Oh! And I never was a Yes-man.
I was always left thinking, "Nice try, shame about the lyrics."

What about my point about having an original(ish) member (at least, of their greatest years) as the factor that distinguishes from a tribute band?

Islam does this with the credibility of the Hadith, so I wondered about this from a memetic perspective.

Oh and I know Gabriel didn't stay prog so I shouldn't really add this to this thread but this is may favourite drum song. Turned up to 11, the part after the speaker-shattering discord is incredible to have sex to.

29-09-2015, 07:28 AM
So I did.

Here is real prorssive rock,

Banjo.
29-09-2015, 07:42 AM
(29-09-2015 07:13 AM)DLJ Wrote:  You missed the "ish"?

Just my opinion / taste but And Then There Were Three was the last good album they made. All good writers ... but great in combination.

Oh! And I never was a Yes-man.
I was always left thinking, "Nice try, shame about the lyrics."

What about my point about having an original(ish) member (at least, of their greatest years) as the factor that distinguishes from a tribute band?

Islam does this with the credibility of the Hadith, so I wondered about this from a memetic perspective.

Oh and I know Gabriel didn't stay prog so I shouldn't really add this to this thread but this is may favourite drum song. Turned up to 11, the part after the speaker-shattering discord is incredible to have sex to.

Yes, ATTWT is a great album. However the entertainment/record business in those days was a different animal. I know because I lived it.

Today one is free but lacks record company support. So one must tour to support a product without money.

However one can do it. Witness my studentin in his band:

Banjo.
29-09-2015, 07:44 AM (This post was last modified: 29-09-2015 07:57 AM by Banjo.)

Double post. Sorry. So here is the real thing.

Banjo.
[+] 2 users Like Banjo's post