"Programmed" Assassins - was Sirhan Sirhan turned into a hypnotized robot?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-07-2012, 04:59 PM
"Programmed" Assassins - was Sirhan Sirhan turned into a hypnotized robot?
Robert F. Kennedy assassination (from wikipedia)

[Image: Rfk_assassination.jpg]
[Image: Sirhan_Sirhan.gif]

"On June 5, 1968, Sirhan Bishara Sirhan fired a .22 caliber revolver at Senator Robert Kennedy and the crowd surrounding him in the Ambassador Hotel in Los Angeles shortly after Kennedy had finished addressing supporters in the hotel's main ballroom. Despite Sirhan's admission of guilt, recorded in a confession made while in police custody years later, Sirhan recanted his confession, claiming not to remember making it. A parole hearing for Sirhan is now scheduled every five years. On March 2, 2011, after 42 years in prison, Sirhan's 14th parole hearing was held, with Sirhan represented by his current attorney, William Francis Pepper. At his parole hearing, Sirhan testified that he continues to have no memory of the assassination nor of any details of his 1969 trial and confession. Pepper also repeated the claim, that Sirhan's lawyers previously stated in the past, that Sirhan's mind was "programmed" and then "wiped" by an unknown conspiracy behind the assassination which is why Sirhan has no memory of the murder or of the aftermath. His parole was denied on the grounds that Sirhan still does not understand the full ramifications of his crime."

Is it possible for someone to be "programmed" in such a way to actually do the dirty deed of an assassination? I used to think that it was definitely not possible until I saw Derren Brown hypnotize a dude in England to shoot and kill Stephen Fry and not be aware that he was doing it! Do I think this kind of stuff actually happens? Probably not but, to think that it is possible is some pretty scary shit Confused

As far as I know this thing is real and very disturbing. This Derren Brown cat at times is merely a smoke and mirrors magician but he also really has a knack for seriously messing with peoples heads. I'd like to hear your argument for why this sort of thing is not possible before watching this video and then let me know if it changes your mind? It did for me Sadcryface

Derren Brown - The Experiments: The Assassin

Derren Brown Discusses The Assassin

All of Derren Brown's - "The Experiments" are awesome psychological stuff. I've seen him coerce people into robbing banks, confessing to murder, fly and land a plane full of people to safety and invoking a studio full of people into a blood thirsty mob. Amazing guy really Yes
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-07-2012, 09:37 AM
RE: "Programmed" Assassins - was Sirhan Sirhan turned into a hypnotized robot?
Last month I referred to the Derren Brown "Assassin" piece myself, GK:

http://www.thethinkingatheist.com/forum/...#pid124691

I agree it's scary shit. But it's important to keep a couple of things in mind.

First, if it's any comfort, only a relatively small number of people can be influenced this way, the so-called "high hypnotizables." When you see DB walking up to a stranger on the street and within seconds getting him to hand over his wallet, you don't know how many failures he had ("Get away from me, you creep, before I call the cops!") prior to the one success he's showing you.

Second and more importantly, with experiments like these it's difficult if not impossible to control for what might be called the "recognition factor." You don't know that deep down in the unconscious mind of the hypnotized "assassin" there isn't this thought floating around: "This is Derren Brown. He's famous. And I'm on TV. He wouldn't make me do anything unsafe or dangerous. And if I didn't do what he said, I'd spoil the show. So I can go along with everything and accept his suggestions, and it'll all be OK in the end." For better or worse, the only way you can know beyond a shadow of a doubt that such programming is possible is to try it out--for real. And you're not going to see that on TV (I hope).

There have in fact been real instances of criminal activity via hypnosis, like the famous case of the Danish hypnotist in the 1940s who got someone to commit murder. So it seems clear that for some particularly susceptible people, hypnotically induced crime is possible. Whether that's what really happened in the Sirhan case is anyone's guess.

Although I admire Derren Brown's showmanship, I often wonder about the ethics of what he does. This poor guy in the video will forever be thought of as "the guy who was hypnotized to kill Stephen Fry." What has that done to his psyche, and how does he now feel about himself? I hope they paid him well.

Religious disputes are like arguments in a madhouse over which inmate really is Napoleon.
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like cufflink's post
19-07-2012, 09:56 AM
caveat emptor.

And it's more complicated than that, but sure. "I" is merely the pattern of the moment.

[Image: 10289811_592837817482059_8815379025397103823_n.jpg]
19-07-2012, 10:11 AM
Grassy Knoll...why don't you tell us your own experience of being a programmed assassin. Big Grin

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My
[+] 3 users Like Erxomai's post
19-07-2012, 12:25 PM
(19-07-2012 10:11 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Grassy Knoll...why don't you tell us your own experience of being a programmed assassin. Big Grin
It might look like this:

Wait, that's not right... Big Grin

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 1 user Likes cheapthrillseaker's post
19-07-2012, 12:32 PM
^ The way Homer pronounces "Ctrl" in the German version makes me laugh every time.

[Image: IcJnQOT.gif]
19-07-2012, 01:39 PM
@cufflinks The story of Palle the hypno-puppet reminded me of a Dean Koonts book called 'False Memories' thanks for sharing that. Did you ever see the case of the pizza delivery guy who got a bomb strapped around his neck and was forced to rob a bank? Cops caught up with him and cuffed him in the street till it went off. All recorded on the police dash cam. A bit more straight forward way of doing it I'd say.

You're riight about Derren being a showman and the element that has to include.The Penn and Teller Bullshit episode on hypnosis is right on the money but I heard Penn say on his podcast that there were certain areas that could have been explored more.

@HOC thanks for expanding my vocabulary.

@Erx you know I can't divulge fully into my past.

@cheapthrills ouch, just ouch.
[+] 2 users Like Grassy Knoll's post
19-07-2012, 02:17 PM
(19-07-2012 12:25 PM)cheapthrillseaker Wrote:  
(19-07-2012 10:11 AM)Erxomai Wrote:  Grassy Knoll...why don't you tell us your own experience of being a programmed assassin. Big Grin
It might look like this:

Wait, that's not right... Big Grin

That's more like what I look like when I work from home.

"All that is necessary for the triumph of Calvinism is that good Atheists do nothing." ~Eric Oh My