Programmer Checkin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
10-04-2017, 06:49 PM
Programmer Checkin
It occurs to me there a lot of programmers on here. In the spirit of geeks should stick together I figured I'd start our own thread.

Girylman - C# for general purpose and guis (best IDE out there) and I don't buy that c and c++ are faster anymore, R for data science, NetLogo for small-scale simulation visualization and agent-oriented programming, SQL Server for databases (usually don't need all the fanciness and and power and MySql or SQL-lite would be adequate but Management Studio is the the best IDE out there). Microsoft is very good to programmers with their IDEs. I've never done web development.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
10-04-2017, 06:56 PM
RE: Programmer Checkin
Actually I'm an IT guy, I know Wide Area Network routing protocols like EIGRP BGP RIP RIP2 and so on, I also know desktop administration, information security, SQL, server administration, server virtualization. I can also build bad ass computers. Meh the list goes on.

I'm trying to learn programming, my friend says C is the fastest, he's teaching me C first, but not cause its the fastest but because we're organizing it into functional, object oriented and recursive (in that order 30 days with each). So after C is going to be C#. There is a reason for this method, I don't just want to be able to program, I want to understand the principles beneath it, at a level that will help me with my future goals in infosec. Also being able to make stuff sounds fucking cool Smile

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
10-04-2017, 07:04 PM
I am no programmer but here is something a programmer once gave me for my birthday:
In Brainfuck she made me a file that, when opened as txt, looked like a boat and once I "ran" it it looked like a flower made of the words "happy birthday"
I understand the basic principles behind how she did that because I started with C and Python ages ago but I would not be able to do that, and especially not in Brainfuck...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck

"Freedom is the freedom to say that 2+2=4" - George Orwell (in 1984)
[+] 4 users Like Leerob's post
10-04-2017, 07:15 PM
(10-04-2017 06:56 PM)JesseB Wrote:  I'm trying to learn programming, my friend says C is the fastest, he's teaching me C first, but not cause its the fastest but because we're organizing it into functional, object oriented and recursive (in that order 30 days with each). So after C is going to be C#. There is a reason for this method, I don't just want to be able to program, I want to understand the principles beneath it, at a level that will help me with my future goals in infosec. Also being able to make stuff sounds fucking cool Smile

There is a good reason to start with C. It has all of the basic program control structures and scoping rules. I was taught C first. Also many of the other major languages have stolen and modified the syntax of c so the structures and control will be familiar. C# for OO and polymorphism is also a good choice. I don't like Java. The language is fun but deployment and identifying and packaging all the dependencies for distribution suck.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
10-04-2017, 07:26 PM
In a former life that I left in Y2k, I wrote many lines of FORTRAN code for use on everything from a PDP11/23 to a Cray. Mostly electromagnetic stuff. Plasmas, scattering and propagation. I left that part of the company because I couldn't get promoted since I didn't have a PhD, in spite of the fact that I was doing the same work. Ended up as a mechanical guy for the last 14 years there. Big drop in technical challenge, slightly better prospects for advancement. Did a little real time programming if LabFORTH in the mid-80s. Make of that what you will.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
10-04-2017, 07:28 PM
I use bbcode for this forum, does that count?

[Image: oscar.png]
[+] 3 users Like earmuffs's post
10-04-2017, 08:05 PM
I make macros to do everything I have to do repetitively, in Excel, so I learned VBA. It's prolly ancient, but it works for me, (although I am still working on the macro to clean my bathroom).

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 2 users Like Bucky Ball's post
10-04-2017, 08:25 PM
(10-04-2017 08:05 PM)Bucky Ball Wrote:  I make macros to do everything I have to do repetitively, in Excel, so I learned VBA. It's prolly ancient, but it works for me, (although I am still working on the macro to clean my bathroom).

The company I worked for had a couple of FORTH programmers as consultants, in the '80s. One sold out and became an employee, the other sold out and used his programming expertise to found a company that had the nerve to use his former company's advertising in his company's brochure. Dodgy Both of them eventually ended up using VB as the platform for their control systems. I worked for the startup for awhile, but they were such crooks that I couldn't stand it, and left. When I rehired at the original company, one of their vice presidents went back to work there, as well. We jokingly referred to him as their "inside salesman", as once he started there again, that company bought a $1M system from his old company. Dodgy When I worked at the startup, I was responsible for measurements that developed into quality control standards. When I went back to the parent company (whose rights, I believe were encroached), I pointed out the deficiencies in their equipment to the department head. The "inside sales" guy was quite pissed, but I was easily able to point out the flaws. Then, they had the nerve to come out and sell another system, and when somebody in the audience told the salesman that "We're using VBA", the guy actually had the cheek to say,"Well, we'll have to pick your brains on that!". FFS, piracy! Angry
11-04-2017, 01:50 AM
C++ and C are still faster if only because you only get what you consciously pay for. With Java and C# these decisions are out of your hands so programmers don't bother thinking about it. Whether the speed increase is needed depends on the application.

I program in C++ and Java but have used many other languages because I am hired primarily for my R&D skills.
11-04-2017, 05:10 AM
I might remember some old cheat codes for mortal kombat.

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.