Programmer Checkin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 05:23 AM
RE: Programmer Checkin
I read that as "Programmer Chicken." It explains some software I've had.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 5 users Like Gawdzilla's post
11-04-2017, 08:26 AM
I am a polyglot. I used to be heavily into OOP(C#, PHP) and web(javascript) and still use it for work. In recent years I have developed a bias towards functional programming - first with Erlang, then Haskell.

Erlang is just this unbelievably ugly language that makes concurrency ridiculously easy. It's usually classified functional, but it lacks basic things like currying, applicative functors, monads... Haskell is a beautiful language with a steep learning curve(no idiot's guide to Haskell) - but worth it, if only to open new pathways in your programming mind.

I agree Microsoft has the best IDEs, but Eclipse has more options. I like emacs for Python and Haskell; vim for C.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
11-04-2017, 08:31 AM
(10-04-2017 06:56 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Actually I'm an IT guy, I know Wide Area Network routing protocols like EIGRP BGP RIP RIP2 and so on, I also know desktop administration, information security, SQL, server administration, server virtualization. I can also build bad ass computers. Meh the list goes on.

I'm trying to learn programming, my friend says C is the fastest, he's teaching me C first, but not cause its the fastest but because we're organizing it into functional, object oriented and recursive (in that order 30 days with each). So after C is going to be C#. There is a reason for this method, I don't just want to be able to program, I want to understand the principles beneath it, at a level that will help me with my future goals in infosec. Also being able to make stuff sounds fucking cool Smile

There is not really such a thing as a fast language. It depends on the efficiency of the compiled code. Put another way, if you have a lousy compiler for C, you could end up with less efficient code than that produced by a great compiler for, say BASIC. That said, it is true, C code has with justification traditionally enjoyed great compilers.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
11-04-2017, 10:20 AM
I'm a sort of self-made Frankenstein's monster of programming experience.

I primarily write in LabVIEW these days (for work), and I'm a CLAD (Certified LV Associate Developer--not flashy, but going for my CLD soon, for those who know). I've done a fair bit in Python, a lot of scripting and some more "real" programming in MATLAB, and dabbled in C#, MySql, R, and Ada.

I come by it honestly. I'm the daughter of a defense Ada programmer and a hardware/robotics early explorer. Also, my husband and I work together--he's also a LabVIEW guy (CLA), and he's done MATLAB, a bit of Python, and some C# and Java. He's the kind of guy who designed and wrote our primary data acquisition platform, which was all in LabVIEW, and then got it set up where he could take the real-time post-processed data and pipe it to a Raspberry Pi where he visualized it as blocks in Minecraft, because it was fun. I've got a WIP--on hold, at the moment, but I'll get back to it someday--where I'm porting the Ada RTE to one of the microprocessors I've got sitting around (because there are Ada for Embedded RTEs for various chips but I don't have any of those, so clearly, the thing to do is make my own) and I want to make an app to play with LabVIEW's mobile API, so I'll probably set up some kind of low-key IOT thing with the chip running Ada just to proof it out.
[+] 3 users Like kmc's post
11-04-2017, 10:56 AM (This post was last modified: 11-04-2017 11:01 AM by GirlyMan.)
(11-04-2017 10:20 AM)kmc Wrote:  I'm a sort of self-made Frankenstein's monster of programming experience.

I primarily write in LabVIEW these days (for work), and I'm a CLAD (Certified LV Associate Developer--not flashy, but going for my CLD soon, for those who know). I've done a fair bit in Python, a lot of scripting and some more "real" programming in MATLAB, and dabbled in C#, MySql, R, and Ada.

I come by it honestly. I'm the daughter of a defense Ada programmer and a hardware/robotics early explorer. Also, my husband and I work together--he's also a LabVIEW guy (CLA), and he's done MATLAB, a bit of Python, and some C# and Java. He's the kind of guy who designed and wrote our primary data acquisition platform, which was all in LabVIEW, and then got it set up where he could take the real-time post-processed data and pipe it to a Raspberry Pi where he visualized it as blocks in Minecraft, because it was fun. I've got a WIP--on hold, at the moment, but I'll get back to it someday--where I'm porting the Ada RTE to one of the microprocessors I've got sitting around (because there are Ada for Embedded RTEs for various chips but I don't have any of those, so clearly, the thing to do is make my own) and I want to make an app to play with LabVIEW's mobile API, so I'll probably set up some kind of low-key IOT thing with the chip running Ada just to proof it out.

I'm trying to build raised bed gardens on a 100'x50'. I want to wire it up IOT like to control watering, feeding, and monitoring. Looking at Node-red as the platform but I'm not sure yet. Ada was the first programming language I used professionally. It was way ahead of it's time feature-wise compared to other languages. By mandating it, DoD effectively killed it. Think it's still being used in real-time systems aboard aircraft.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
11-04-2017, 11:10 AM
(I appreciate the programmer world. The creativity and hilarity are wonderful. I'm a little addicted to Silicon Valley right now)
[+] 2 users Like LadyJane's post
11-04-2017, 02:41 PM
(11-04-2017 11:10 AM)LadyJane Wrote:  (I appreciate the programmer world. The creativity and hilarity are wonderful. I'm a little addicted to Silicon Valley right now)
Big Grin

[Image: programming_zpsh7knih7w.png]

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
11-04-2017, 02:58 PM
I'm mostly Delphi. Not my favourite language but I make it work. My main beef with it is a lot of libraries don't seem to have language bindings, or (if pure Pascal code) are hopelessly dated. Also the clowns who make it charge a shitload for the IDE+compiler. I end up writing a lot of my own code for basic stuff.

Otherwise I'm literate in C#, C++, Matlab/Octave and Java. Have been playing with web programming and android recently.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
11-04-2017, 03:27 PM
(11-04-2017 02:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm mostly Delphi. Not my favourite language but I make it work. My main beef with it is a lot of libraries don't seem to have language bindings, or (if pure Pascal code) are hopelessly dated. Also the clowns who make it charge a shitload for the IDE+compiler. I end up writing a lot of my own code for basic stuff.

Otherwise I'm literate in C#, C++, Matlab/Octave and Java. Have been playing with web programming and android recently.

I love Delphi. My first big project was on Borland Delphi and Interbase. It was always ahead of the curve. The guy that designed it also created C#

11-04-2017, 03:29 PM
(11-04-2017 08:26 AM)tomilay Wrote:  I am a polyglot. I used to be heavily into OOP(C#, PHP) and web(javascript) and still use it for work. In recent years I have developed a bias towards functional programming - first with Erlang, then Haskell.

Erlang is just this unbelievably ugly language that makes concurrency ridiculously easy. It's usually classified functional, but it lacks basic things like currying, applicative functors, monads... Haskell is a beautiful language with a steep learning curve(no idiot's guide to Haskell) - but worth it, if only to open new pathways in your programming mind.

I agree Microsoft has the best IDEs, but Eclipse has more options. I like emacs for Python and Haskell; vim for C.

I think Facebook uses Erlang for its online chat service.