Programmer Checkin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
11-04-2017, 03:30 PM
RE: Programmer Checkin
(11-04-2017 03:27 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 02:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm mostly Delphi. Not my favourite language but I make it work. My main beef with it is a lot of libraries don't seem to have language bindings, or (if pure Pascal code) are hopelessly dated. Also the clowns who make it charge a shitload for the IDE+compiler. I end up writing a lot of my own code for basic stuff.

Otherwise I'm literate in C#, C++, Matlab/Octave and Java. Have been playing with web programming and android recently.

I love Delphi. My first big project was on Borland Delphi and Interbase. It was always ahead of the curve. The guy that designed it also created C#

I used Turbo Pascal a lot back in the 80's. Borland had the best IDEs then.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
11-04-2017, 03:34 PM
(11-04-2017 03:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 03:27 PM)tomilay Wrote:  I love Delphi. My first big project was on Borland Delphi and Interbase. It was always ahead of the curve. The guy that designed it also created C#

I used Turbo Pascal a lot back in the 80's. Borland had the best IDEs then.

Yep. In fact Microsoft started producing comparable stuff to Borland's 90s IDEs mid 2000s. Amazing how they have outlasted superior competition in terms of product.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
11-04-2017, 03:47 PM
(11-04-2017 03:34 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 03:30 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I used Turbo Pascal a lot back in the 80's. Borland had the best IDEs then.

Yep. In fact Microsoft started producing comparable stuff to Borland's 90s IDEs mid 2000s. Amazing how they have outlasted superior competition in terms of product.

VHS vs. Betamax. Damn I'm old.

There is only one really serious philosophical question, and that is suicide. -Camus
[+] 3 users Like GirlyMan's post
11-04-2017, 10:22 PM
(10-04-2017 06:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It occurs to me there a lot of programmers on here. In the spirit of geeks should stick together I figured I'd start our own thread.

Girylman - C# for general purpose and guis (best IDE out there) and I don't buy that c and c++ are faster anymore, R for data science, NetLogo for small-scale simulation visualization and agent-oriented programming, SQL Server for databases (usually don't need all the fanciness and and power and MySql or SQL-lite would be adequate but Management Studio is the the best IDE out there). Microsoft is very good to programmers with their IDEs. I've never done web development.

Java, JavaScript, MATLAB, and Python for myself. I also have worked with C# (MS Java) for game design.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
11-04-2017, 10:30 PM
(10-04-2017 07:04 PM)Leerob Wrote:  I am no programmer but here is something a programmer once gave me for my birthday:
In Brainfuck she made me a file that, when opened as txt, looked like a boat and once I "ran" it it looked like a flower made of the words "happy birthday"
I understand the basic principles behind how she did that because I started with C and Python ages ago but I would not be able to do that, and especially not in Brainfuck...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brainfuck

That looks almost like the algorithm for a Turing Tape. I find it fascinating that anything that can be computed can be computed with just a few commands and a strip of discretized tape, albeit an infinite one. Brainfuck indeed.

12-04-2017, 12:17 AM
(11-04-2017 03:27 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 02:58 PM)morondog Wrote:  I'm mostly Delphi. Not my favourite language but I make it work. My main beef with it is a lot of libraries don't seem to have language bindings, or (if pure Pascal code) are hopelessly dated. Also the clowns who make it charge a shitload for the IDE+compiler. I end up writing a lot of my own code for basic stuff.

Otherwise I'm literate in C#, C++, Matlab/Octave and Java. Have been playing with web programming and android recently.

I love Delphi. My first big project was on Borland Delphi and Interbase. It was always ahead of the curve. The guy that designed it also created C#

It's a well designed language, granted. But the lack of libraries really hurts.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
12-04-2017, 12:44 AM
(10-04-2017 07:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is a good reason to start with C. It has all of the basic program control structures and scoping rules.
C does not have function nesting.

Sapere aude
12-04-2017, 12:52 AM
(10-04-2017 06:49 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  It occurs to me there a lot of programmers on here. In the spirit of geeks should stick together I figured I'd start our own thread.
Any mouse programmers here?

Sapere aude
[+] 1 user Likes f stop's post
12-04-2017, 12:59 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 01:21 AM by GirlyMan.)
(12-04-2017 12:44 AM)f stop Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 07:15 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  There is a good reason to start with C. It has all of the basic program control structures and scoping rules.
C does not have function nesting.

Or inline functions, anonymous functions, dynamic typing, lazy evaluation, runtime edit and continue, templates, language integrated queries , inheritance and overloading or any type of polymorphism either. Why did you highlight scoping rules? C uses lexical scoping.

[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 06:25 AM
I was gonna learn Python but I can't type for shit. Also, I'm sloppy as fuck. Weeping

I got my TI-92 to run the Mandelbrot set; probably as far as I'll ever get. Took it 12 hours... I kinda feel like a TI-92, only dumber. Tongue

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post