Programmer Checkin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 08:05 AM
RE: Programmer Checkin
(12-04-2017 06:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I was gonna learn Python but I can't type for shit. Also, I'm sloppy as fuck. Weeping

I got my TI-92 to run the Mandelbrot set; probably as far as I'll ever get. Took it 12 hours... I kinda feel like a TI-92, only dumber. Tongue

Dude, if you can program in Python I don't have a lot of hope for you learning another language.

"IN THRUST WE TRUST"

"We were conservative Jews and that meant we obeyed God's Commandments until His rules became a royal pain in the ass."

- Joel Chastnoff, The 188th Crybaby Brigade
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver's post
12-04-2017, 08:20 AM
(11-04-2017 10:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 10:20 AM)kmc Wrote:  I'm a sort of self-made Frankenstein's monster of programming experience.

I primarily write in LabVIEW these days (for work), and I'm a CLAD (Certified LV Associate Developer--not flashy, but going for my CLD soon, for those who know). I've done a fair bit in Python, a lot of scripting and some more "real" programming in MATLAB, and dabbled in C#, MySql, R, and Ada.

I come by it honestly. I'm the daughter of a defense Ada programmer and a hardware/robotics early explorer. Also, my husband and I work together--he's also a LabVIEW guy (CLA), and he's done MATLAB, a bit of Python, and some C# and Java. He's the kind of guy who designed and wrote our primary data acquisition platform, which was all in LabVIEW, and then got it set up where he could take the real-time post-processed data and pipe it to a Raspberry Pi where he visualized it as blocks in Minecraft, because it was fun. I've got a WIP--on hold, at the moment, but I'll get back to it someday--where I'm porting the Ada RTE to one of the microprocessors I've got sitting around (because there are Ada for Embedded RTEs for various chips but I don't have any of those, so clearly, the thing to do is make my own) and I want to make an app to play with LabVIEW's mobile API, so I'll probably set up some kind of low-key IOT thing with the chip running Ada just to proof it out.

I'm trying to build raised bed gardens on a 100'x50'. I want to wire it up IOT like to control watering, feeding, and monitoring. Looking at Node-red as the platform but I'm not sure yet. Ada was the first programming language I used professionally. It was way ahead of it's time feature-wise compared to other languages. By mandating it, DoD effectively killed it. Think it's still being used in real-time systems aboard aircraft.

Keep us updated. I am clueless, but interested, in Raspberry pi. I want to learn that; just generally the interface between regular code and physical things. We should be able wire up the AC, just to pick a random example, to be super smart and use weather forecast information, HDD, CDD,... for optimal performance in response to preferences, times and other things.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 1 user Likes tomilay's post
12-04-2017, 10:33 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 10:37 AM by Chas.)
C, C++, C#, and the assembler languages of more processors than you've even heard of. Also fluent with XML, HTML, etc.

Not used anymore by me: FORTRAN, Pascal, Basic, PL/I, APL.

C# is the best GUI tool I've ever found, but if I want deterministic performance, I'll use C and a real OS, not Windows.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
12-04-2017, 11:36 AM
(12-04-2017 06:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I was gonna learn Python but I can't type for shit. Also, I'm sloppy as fuck. Weeping

I got my TI-92 to run the Mandelbrot set; probably as far as I'll ever get. Took it 12 hours... I kinda feel like a TI-92, only dumber. Tongue

This is why you need a good IDE. I never type more than a couple of characters before Visual Studio understands what I want to do and I just hit tab-return to confirm. It's usually right. Soon I will only need the vaguest thought of what I want to do. Big Grin Programmers are training their own replacements.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 11:39 AM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 11:46 AM by GirlyMan.)
(12-04-2017 08:20 AM)tomilay Wrote:  Keep us updated. I am clueless, but interested, in Raspberry pi. I want to learn that; just generally the interface between regular code and physical things. We should be able wire up the AC, just to pick a random example, to be super smart and use weather forecast information, HDD, CDD,... for optimal performance in response to preferences, times and other things.

Yes, we should. It doesn't sound like it should be difficult.

I ain't a hardware guy. They make tools and cross-compilers for folk like me. Smile

This looks cool. Design, create, and deploy a fun IoT device using Arduino and Raspberry Pi platforms.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 11:42 AM
(12-04-2017 08:05 AM)Carlo_The_Bugsmasher_Driver Wrote:  

Dude, if you can program in Python I don't have a lot of hope for you learning another language.

Anything else would just slow him down.

#sigh
12-04-2017, 11:45 AM
(12-04-2017 10:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not used anymore by me: FORTRAN, Pascal, Basic, PL/I, APL.

I remember that. Smile

[Image: dmkeyboard_zpsliyxbkmq.jpg]

#sigh
12-04-2017, 11:47 AM
(12-04-2017 10:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'll use C and a real OS, not Windows.

I bet you'd still develop in Windows though and use cross-compilers. At least that's what I do.

#sigh
12-04-2017, 12:07 PM
I did a bunch of C#/ASP.Net (web forms) for a while, with a good amount of SQL. most of that work was in Visual Studio 2010, and some SSMS 2012.

I've done some VB 5/6/.Net in the past two jobs.

I'm currently working in a proprietary language called cm (C/Java based), using Emacs as a makeshift IDE. Forget everything you know about hot keys and step debuggers!

I want to get back into .net and pick up MVC and/or Web API/Angular.
12-04-2017, 12:33 PM (This post was last modified: 12-04-2017 12:42 PM by JesseB.)
(12-04-2017 08:20 AM)tomilay Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 10:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm trying to build raised bed gardens on a 100'x50'. I want to wire it up IOT like to control watering, feeding, and monitoring. Looking at Node-red as the platform but I'm not sure yet. Ada was the first programming language I used professionally. It was way ahead of it's time feature-wise compared to other languages. By mandating it, DoD effectively killed it. Think it's still being used in real-time systems aboard aircraft.

Keep us updated. I am clueless, but interested, in Raspberry pi. I want to learn that; just generally the interface between regular code and physical things. We should be able wire up the AC, just to pick a random example, to be super smart and use weather forecast information, HDD, CDD,... for optimal performance in response to preferences, times and other things.

There's a couple of sites that turn learning to code into a game
https://codefights.com/
https://www.hackerearth.com/ (pretty much the exact same things as code fights but with more tutorial videos)

Then you have collaboration tools like
https://codeshare.io/
Find a mentor

You can watch videos from MIT's open course ware on you tube they have a lot of programming classes and lectures.

technet.microsoft.com for anything windows related
openstack.com is just always useful
Learn how to use Github

Some additional resources
https://www2.cs.arizona.edu/~debray/Teac...sspec.html
http://www.cplusplus.com/reference/clibrary/

There's a number of places you can look up code, or you can just google specific tasks you want to complete. I suggest you find someone to work with though who's experienced and can help guide your path to maximize your time studying.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like JesseB's post