Programmer Checkin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 12:37 PM
RE: Programmer Checkin
(12-04-2017 10:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  C, C++, C#, and the assembler languages of more processors than you've even heard of. Also fluent with XML, HTML, etc.

Not used anymore by me: FORTRAN, Pascal, Basic, PL/I, APL.

C# is the best GUI tool I've ever found, but if I want deterministic performance, I'll use C and a real OS, not Windows.

Are you suggesting your besties with Linux Torvalds haha

I use windows for video games.
Other OS's I use Debian, Kali, sometimes Ubuntu. I generally stick with OS's similar to Debian since it was my first linux distro and I try not to over complicate my life.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-04-2017, 04:52 PM
(11-04-2017 10:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm trying to build raised bed gardens on a 100'x50'. I want to wire it up IOT like to control watering, feeding, and monitoring. Looking at Node-red as the platform but I'm not sure yet. Ada was the first programming language I used professionally. It was way ahead of it's time feature-wise compared to other languages. By mandating it, DoD effectively killed it. Think it's still being used in real-time systems aboard aircraft.

Yeah, I've heard it called "the language of the future 20 years ago." But my mom loved it so much, I had to try it out. It is still used in aviation, space, and medical--particularly the ESA still uses it. (Wait, did I say that already? Well, if I did, there's a bonus one.)

And you're totally right, I think the mandate just wrung every bit of life out of it. You have to really know how to write Ada to write it and not hate the experience. When you do, it's slick, but I can only imagine the frustration of all those C and FORTRAN programmers try to make something fu--wait, is cussing okay here?--make something compile.
[+] 1 user Likes kmc's post
12-04-2017, 05:03 PM
(12-04-2017 04:52 PM)kmc Wrote:  wait, is cussing okay here?

No. You'll be banned.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
12-04-2017, 05:23 PM
(12-04-2017 05:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

No. You'll be banned.

Fucken heathen pirate monkey

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 3 users Like morondog's post
12-04-2017, 06:17 PM
(12-04-2017 04:52 PM)kmc Wrote:  
(11-04-2017 10:56 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  I'm trying to build raised bed gardens on a 100'x50'. I want to wire it up IOT like to control watering, feeding, and monitoring. Looking at Node-red as the platform but I'm not sure yet. Ada was the first programming language I used professionally. It was way ahead of it's time feature-wise compared to other languages. By mandating it, DoD effectively killed it. Think it's still being used in real-time systems aboard aircraft.

Yeah, I've heard it called "the language of the future 20 years ago." But my mom loved it so much, I had to try it out. It is still used in aviation, space, and medical--particularly the ESA still uses it. (Wait, did I say that already? Well, if I did, there's a bonus one.)

And you're totally right, I think the mandate just wrung every bit of life out of it. You have to really know how to write Ada to write it and not hate the experience. When you do, it's slick, but I can only imagine the frustration of all those C and FORTRAN programmers try to make something fu--wait, is cussing okay here?--make something compile.

OK, I'm a fuckin' dinosaur for programming in FORTRAN, but I can assure you that compilers were configured especially for it back in the day. I've written miles of electromagnetic code that compiled just fine. DEC was damned good; FPS and CRAY were major players and their shit ran like wildfire. I also used FORTRAN with the C extensions, and that compiled fine as well. You needn't pity us old guys.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
12-04-2017, 06:25 PM
(12-04-2017 05:03 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  

No. You'll be banned.

HAHAHHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA FUCKING A HAHAHHAHAHAHAH

I can't stop laughing!

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
12-04-2017, 06:29 PM
(12-04-2017 04:52 PM)kmc Wrote:  

Meh I'm pretty sure you can say fuck all you want, just don't be abusive about it if that makes sense Wink

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
12-04-2017, 07:58 PM
(12-04-2017 06:29 PM)JesseB Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 04:52 PM)kmc Wrote:  Yeah, I've heard it called "the language of the future 20 years ago." But my mom loved it so much, I had to try it out. It is still used in aviation, space, and medical--particularly the ESA still uses it. (Wait, did I say that already? Well, if I did, there's a bonus one.)

Meh I'm pretty sure you can say fuck all you want, just don't be abusive about it if that makes sense Wink

pssh...she can say "Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker and Tits!" with impunity.

WIKI
[+] 3 users Like Fireball's post
12-04-2017, 08:28 PM
(12-04-2017 07:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 06:29 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Meh I'm pretty sure you can say fuck all you want, just don't be abusive about it if that makes sense Wink

pssh...she can say "Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker and Tits!" with impunity.

WIKI

Just don't post images of any of them

Atheism: it's not just for communists any more!
America July 4 1776 - November 8 2016 RIP
[+] 3 users Like unfogged's post
12-04-2017, 08:44 PM
(12-04-2017 08:28 PM)unfogged Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 07:58 PM)Fireball Wrote:  pssh...she can say "Shit Piss Fuck Cunt Cocksucker Motherfucker and Tits!" with impunity.

WIKI

Just don't post images of any of them

If you mean not here, I understand. I don't actually have any interest in viewing any of these activities, either...mostly. Yes
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post