Programmer Checkin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-04-2017, 09:17 PM
RE: Programmer Checkin
(12-04-2017 11:45 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 10:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  Not used anymore by me: FORTRAN, Pascal, Basic, PL/I, APL.

I remember that. Smile

[Image: dmkeyboard_zpsliyxbkmq.jpg]

It was the sine qua non of write-only languages. Yes

I always think of it when trying to figure out some regular expression. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like Chas's post
12-04-2017, 09:18 PM
(12-04-2017 11:47 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 10:33 AM)Chas Wrote:  I'll use C and a real OS, not Windows.

I bet you'd still develop in Windows though and use cross-compilers. At least that's what I do.

Fer sher.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
13-04-2017, 02:57 AM
(12-04-2017 11:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 06:25 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  I was gonna learn Python but I can't type for shit. Also, I'm sloppy as fuck. Weeping

I got my TI-92 to run the Mandelbrot set; probably as far as I'll ever get. Took it 12 hours... I kinda feel like a TI-92, only dumber. Tongue

This is why you need a good IDE. I never type more than a couple of characters before Visual Studio understands what I want to do and I just hit tab-return to confirm. It's usually right. Soon I will only need the vaguest thought of what I want to do. Big Grin Programmers are training their own replacements.

I despise and utterly loathe eclipse. Netbeans isn't so bad.

Given a choice I use GNU screen and vi.
Find all posts by this user
13-04-2017, 09:57 AM
(12-04-2017 06:17 PM)Fireball Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 04:52 PM)kmc Wrote:  Yeah, I've heard it called "the language of the future 20 years ago." But my mom loved it so much, I had to try it out. It is still used in aviation, space, and medical--particularly the ESA still uses it. (Wait, did I say that already? Well, if I did, there's a bonus one.)

And you're totally right, I think the mandate just wrung every bit of life out of it. You have to really know how to write Ada to write it and not hate the experience. When you do, it's slick, but I can only imagine the frustration of all those C and FORTRAN programmers try to make something fu--wait, is cussing okay here?--make something compile.

OK, I'm a fuckin' dinosaur for programming in FORTRAN, but I can assure you that compilers were configured especially for it back in the day. I've written miles of electromagnetic code that compiled just fine. DEC was damned good; FPS and CRAY were major players and their shit ran like wildfire. I also used FORTRAN with the C extensions, and that compiled fine as well. You needn't pity us old guys.

Oh, ha ha! Sorry, I meant specifically trying to make something compile in Ada. I know that it can be a bitch--it's strictly typed and has other protections built-in and won't compile for things that other languages' compilers will let you do. People coming from other languages tended to find it incredibly irritating (at least in my understanding).

And I have nothing but respect for FORTRAN! We have a bunch of scientists around here who use it--mostly, when we give them a hard time for it, it's because they aren't writing good code with it but they won't learn better practices or let anybody else write it for them. They're basically Gus from Cinderella when she saves him from Lucifer. Nothing to do with the language or the people who make it sing.

I mean, hell, I hear they're still hiring Cobol programmers.
13-04-2017, 10:06 AM
(13-04-2017 09:57 AM)kmc Wrote:  Oh, ha ha! Sorry, I meant specifically trying to make something compile in Ada. I know that it can be a bitch--it's strictly typed and has other protections built-in and won't compile for things that other languages' compilers will let you do. People coming from other languages tended to find it incredibly irritating (at least in my understanding).

We were taught Pascal at uni, I loved going from Pascal to Ada. Was basically the same but with so much more. What I remember most is that we had exponentially less horsepower back then and compilation would take hours and hours. We'd start them in the evening and they'd be done around lunch the next day.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-04-2017, 10:18 AM
(13-04-2017 10:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 09:57 AM)kmc Wrote:  Oh, ha ha! Sorry, I meant specifically trying to make something compile in Ada. I know that it can be a bitch--it's strictly typed and has other protections built-in and won't compile for things that other languages' compilers will let you do. People coming from other languages tended to find it incredibly irritating (at least in my understanding).

We were taught Pascal at uni, I loved going from Pascal to Ada. Was basically the same but with so much more. What I remember most is that we had exponentially less horsepower back then and compilation would take hours and hours. We'd start them in the evening and they'd be done around lunch the next day.

Feck, I betcha weren't so keen on typos. Probably checked and rechecked to make sure. I'm going through some shit in the numerical recipes book right now. Faaaaaaack. Old style code is hairy shit. All these variables with names like "vv" and "d". I understand that you didn't wanna do too much extry typing back then but it sure makes it difficult to read and understand.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 2 users Like morondog's post
13-04-2017, 10:32 AM
(13-04-2017 10:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 10:06 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  We were taught Pascal at uni, I loved going from Pascal to Ada. Was basically the same but with so much more. What I remember most is that we had exponentially less horsepower back then and compilation would take hours and hours. We'd start them in the evening and they'd be done around lunch the next day.

Feck, I betcha weren't so keen on typos. Probably checked and rechecked to make sure. I'm going through some shit in the numerical recipes book right now. Faaaaaaack. Old style code is hairy shit. All these variables with names like "vv" and "d". I understand that you didn't wanna do too much extry typing back then but it sure makes it difficult to read and understand.

A lot of times we would try to mimic the variables used in the equations which are usually not known for their verbosity. I still do that if it's a mathematical equation. My favorite "watching Fortran coders in the wild" memory happened when we told goober he needed to use structures and subroutines now that Fortran has them. He created a structure which had everything that was in his COMMON block and sent it as a parameter to his single subroutine. He was rather proud. We didn't say anything.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
13-04-2017, 11:34 AM
(13-04-2017 10:32 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 10:18 AM)morondog Wrote:  Feck, I betcha weren't so keen on typos. Probably checked and rechecked to make sure. I'm going through some shit in the numerical recipes book right now. Faaaaaaack. Old style code is hairy shit. All these variables with names like "vv" and "d". I understand that you didn't wanna do too much extry typing back then but it sure makes it difficult to read and understand.

A lot of times we would try to mimic the variables used in the equations which are usually not known for their verbosity. I still do that if it's a mathematical equation.

I get that, I even used to do it, I don't like it much now though - too easy to come back a year later and have no fucking idea what you were doing. Nowadays my variables and functions are always super clearly labelled exactly what each one does. Except when I have to break the rules - which usually means I have no fucking clue why the magic function does what it does.

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-04-2017, 11:53 AM
I lost the use of my hands within the space of a week, couldn't even hold a pen and sign my name or use both a knife and fork together., Not a good thing for a programmer. I'm hoping that it comes back before the end of the month otherwise I am not sure that I can start my new job and it will badly affect my career, maybe even end it. People always say that there must be some kiind of speech recongnition but they don't know what programming entails. I went out today to find a keyboard that is not so painful to use and found out that the Logitech mini keyboards with round keys are more bearable. The corners of the square keys are quite painful. Imaging typing with frostbite. This is my first test of a bluetooth keyboard on my tablet.

Using a mouse is also very difficult because I can't feel which mouse button I am clicking, or even if my fingers are still making contact with it, so I am experimenting with various designs.
13-04-2017, 01:10 PM
(13-04-2017 11:53 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I lost the use of my hands within the space of a week, couldn't even hold a pen and sign my name or use both a knife and fork together., Not a good thing for a programmer. I'm hoping that it comes back before the end of the month otherwise I am not sure that I can start my new job and it will badly affect my career, maybe even end it. People always say that there must be some kiind of speech recongnition but they don't know what programming entails. I went out today to find a keyboard that is not so painful to use and found out that the Logitech mini keyboards with round keys are more bearable. The corners of the square keys are quite painful. Imaging typing with frostbite. This is my first test of a bluetooth keyboard on my tablet.

Using a mouse is also very difficult because I can't feel which mouse button I am clicking, or even if my fingers are still making contact with it, so I am experimenting with various designs.

That really stinks! Hug
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post