Programmer Checkin

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
13-04-2017, 01:43 PM
RE: Programmer Checkin
(13-04-2017 11:53 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  I lost the use of my hands within the space of a week, couldn't even hold a pen and sign my name or use both a knife and fork together., Not a good thing for a programmer. I'm hoping that it comes back before the end of the month otherwise I am not sure that I can start my new job and it will badly affect my career, maybe even end it. People always say that there must be some kiind of speech recongnition but they don't know what programming entails. I went out today to find a keyboard that is not so painful to use and found out that the Logitech mini keyboards with round keys are more bearable. The corners of the square keys are quite painful. Imaging typing with frostbite. This is my first test of a bluetooth keyboard on my tablet.

Using a mouse is also very difficult because I can't feel which mouse button I am clicking, or even if my fingers are still making contact with it, so I am experimenting with various designs.

Confused Wow, that's horrible Sad Hope you get well soon Hug

We'll love you just the way you are
If you're perfect -- Alanis Morissette
(06-02-2014 03:47 PM)Momsurroundedbyboys Wrote:  And I'm giving myself a conclusion again from all the facepalming.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 1 user Likes morondog's post
13-04-2017, 06:35 PM
(12-04-2017 12:07 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I did a bunch of C#/ASP.Net (web forms) for a while, with a good amount of SQL. most of that work was in Visual Studio 2010, and some SSMS 2012.

I've done some VB 5/6/.Net in the past two jobs.

I'm currently working in a proprietary language called cm (C/Java based), using Emacs as a makeshift IDE. Forget everything you know about hot keys and step debuggers!

I want to get back into .net and pick up MVC and/or Web API/Angular.

You should be able to debug C on emacs using gdb if you are on a *nix platform. If you are on Windows...oh well..yeah

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
13-04-2017, 06:38 PM
(13-04-2017 02:57 AM)Mathilda Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 11:36 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  This is why you need a good IDE. I never type more than a couple of characters before Visual Studio understands what I want to do and I just hit tab-return to confirm. It's usually right. Soon I will only need the vaguest thought of what I want to do. Big Grin Programmers are training their own replacements.

I despise and utterly loathe eclipse. Netbeans isn't so bad.

Given a choice I use GNU screen and vi.

GNU screen is magical indeed. Netbeans is cool, especially for Java. I also have an attachment to text editors like vi and emacs. You can actually do a whole lot with just those. It sucks that your current condition is affecting your ability to do what you love.

We have to remember that what we observe is not nature herself, but nature exposed to our method of questioning ~ Werner Heisenberg
[+] 2 users Like tomilay's post
13-04-2017, 06:53 PM
(13-04-2017 06:35 PM)tomilay Wrote:  You should be able to debug C on emacs using gdb if you are on a *nix platform. If you are on Windows...oh well..yeah

What I see all the cool kids doing today is running VMs of whatever OS they want. Hell I've seem 'em use VMs as an organizing tool, each app gets a machine of its own. Now they got as many computers as they want. Crazy kids.

#sigh
[+] 1 user Likes GirlyMan's post
13-04-2017, 07:18 PM
(13-04-2017 06:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 06:35 PM)tomilay Wrote:  You should be able to debug C on emacs using gdb if you are on a *nix platform. If you are on Windows...oh well..yeah

What I see all the cool kids doing today is running VMs of whatever OS they want. Hell I've seem 'em use VMs as an organizing tool, each app gets a machine of its own. Now they got as many computers as they want. Crazy kids.

Yep. They just use them and leave the fascination with details of how it works to old school folks. They just trust this stuff will work.

[+] 3 users Like tomilay's post
13-04-2017, 07:25 PM
(13-04-2017 07:18 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 06:53 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  What I see all the cool kids doing today is running VMs of whatever OS they want. Hell I've seem 'em use VMs as an organizing tool, each app gets a machine of its own. Now they got as many computers as they want. Crazy kids.

Yep. They just use them and leave the fascination with details of how it works to old school folks. They just trust this stuff will work.

That's what I do with math.

#sigh
13-04-2017, 07:48 PM
(13-04-2017 06:35 PM)tomilay Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 12:07 PM)RobbyPants Wrote:  I did a bunch of C#/ASP.Net (web forms) for a while, with a good amount of SQL. most of that work was in Visual Studio 2010, and some SSMS 2012.

I've done some VB 5/6/.Net in the past two jobs.

I'm currently working in a proprietary language called cm (C/Java based), using Emacs as a makeshift IDE. Forget everything you know about hot keys and step debuggers!

I want to get back into .net and pick up MVC and/or Web API/Angular.

You should be able to debug C on emacs using gdb if you are on a *nix platform. If you are on Windows...oh well..yeah

My experience with emacs is a little less than salutory. I'll admit that this memory is 25 years old, but I recall that it hand-raped any code I was writing with extra control characters. I forget which *nix it was using. Part of the problem was that the computer I was working on was stolen by the guys in our department during a big move within the company. The best our department could do was come up with some user manuals for some HP computer. Right, like that is gonna work. Dodgy This computer was at a remote site in the desert where only four of us worked, except for the janitor and customers who brought us work, and the occasional manager who wandered in. We had to go to the main plant (MANY miles away) to get briefed for any new program; security never came to us. That's how the computer was never found, and why we never got it to do much for us. Fuckin' stupid, that was.
[+] 1 user Likes Fireball's post
13-04-2017, 07:56 PM
(13-04-2017 07:25 PM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(13-04-2017 07:18 PM)tomilay Wrote:  Yep. They just use them and leave the fascination with details of how it works to old school folks. They just trust this stuff will work.

That's what I do with math.

We can do that with math because there's been been a metric shit ton of mathematicians who've proved that it works for what we want/need to do. All them fucking god bots using the internet don't have a clue about that...or the physicists (John Bardeen, Walter Brattain, and William Bradford Shockley) who invented transistors, or communication theorists like mathematician Claude E. Shannon. Instead, they talk about "moral trajectories" like those are an actual thing. Angry FFS.
[+] 2 users Like Fireball's post
13-04-2017, 09:44 PM (This post was last modified: 13-04-2017 09:51 PM by GirlyMan.)
(13-04-2017 07:48 PM)Fireball Wrote:  

My experience with emacs is a little less than salutory. I'll admit that this memory is 25 years old, but I recall that it hand-raped any code I was writing with extra control characters.

Yeah I remember that. You had to set your term properly to VT100 or some shit that seems really silly now and it still would fuck up. But vi sucks ass so I thought it was great. Looking back I think I can say with some confidence that it appears as if we are at an inflection point on the technology advancement curve. It's rather frightening if you think about it too much. I know Elon "I'm Batman" Musk is scared enough to spend enough gazillions to bio-integrate early and often in then hope they won't specicide us if we host them. Sounds like a good idea to me.

#sigh
[+] 2 users Like GirlyMan's post
14-04-2017, 12:47 AM
(12-04-2017 12:59 AM)GirlyMan Wrote:  
(12-04-2017 12:44 AM)f stop Wrote:  C does not have function nesting.
Why did you highlight scoping rules? C uses lexical scoping.
Maybe I'm too old but to me the word scoping implies control over which parts of the code can be seen, and thus changed, by the various procedures in the code. One of the shortcomings of C (IMHO) is that it is impossible to nest procedures within procedures, a feature that I have found useful in other languages.

I have no idea what you mean by "lexical scoping."

Sapere aude