Projectionism in religious criticism

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-08-2017, 11:50 PM
RE: Projectionism in religious criticism
(13-08-2017 06:06 PM)Deltabravo Wrote:  I have to say that I've come to the conclusion that the ancient religions of the Near East were highly sexual in nature. The OT begins with creation and then focuses on how Adam and Eve created a "royal line" by having two sons. The only way this royal line could continue is through incest. Then Caine slays Abel...fratricide. Abraham is told to have many "wives". Man is created in God's image, so we are told, so presumably God "created" life in the same way men do.

Ancient Egyptian religion was highly sexual, as was it's aristocracy. I found this article about the Turin Papyrus which describes the sexual nature of Egyptian religion and culture: http://fontes.lstc.edu/~rklein/Documents..._egypt.htm

Here's a drawing from the Turin Papyrus. NSFW

http://www.viewzone.com/state-of-mind/turin.ex.jpg

Or, maybe this is me "projecting".

On a serious note, the Romans who conquered the Near East had turned to Epicureanism which was a rational and scientific. I think this explains why Christianity arose, because the Romans wanted to supplant the prevailing religion in the Middle East with something which had a rational foundation, ie., the "logos". They then mould Christianity into a religion based on a moral principle, "do unto others" rather than rituals which stem from whatever old religion the "gentiles" adhered to.

That papyrus is some hot shit.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
18-08-2017, 11:37 AM
RE: Projectionism in religious criticism
(06-08-2017 10:49 PM)Robvalue Wrote:  The OT is just plain unashamed thuggery, whereas the NT smuggles in new levels of fearmongering under the guise of a "loving God". I'm talking about such things as thought crime, and the introduction of a literal Hell.

It was those two very ideas that left me afraid and depressed for a good chunk of my two-year path to deconversion.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply