Prolly gonna kill myself soon.... (not suicide)

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
14-09-2018, 11:37 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2018 12:39 AM by JesseB.)
Prolly gonna kill myself soon.... (not suicide)
Guess who got hisself a new chainsaw! (well not exactly new.... NEW FOR ME THOUGH!)

Yup, ya'll taking bets on how I'd end up killing myself, for the record I haven't made any bombs in years, and I don't work around flammable welding gasses anymore either. or exploadable oil derricks. So that pretty much leaves driving over a cliff, eaten by the wildlife, shot by a hunter (or neighbor) by accident (or on purpose), spontaneous combustion (how? fuck should I know), or choking on a cheeseburger (lets be honest.... pretty likely).

And now guess what just jumped to the top of that list! Bye bye legs! (I'm kidding of course I'ma do my damnedest not to cut off anything I'd rather keep long term >.>)

Kolby (guy lives up here I sometimes do various trades n favors with, he still hasn't helped me install the radio in my truck.... but that's also mostly my own damn fault for being lazy when he's available). Got himself a new chainsaw and gave me his old one. I was up near greenhorn on Portuguese pass (no fucking clue why it's named that, guess some dumb fuck Californian was REALLY lost), saw so much dead trees (mostly from the drought). Loggers come up n cut down. Leave em there for the forest service to clean up. Forest service gives out permits to cut n take what's just lying around (and I think also the stuff marked as dead but being by myself I'm not gonna fuck with felling any trees, just cut up n take what's already on the ground). I mean thousands of trees within a couple miles of where I live, just laying there for FREEEEEEEE.

So I'ma be industrious, go get me a few truckloads of wood (as many as I can get away with. technically the limit is 10 cords.... basically for the uninitiated bout 10 truck loads in my truck). Then I'ma drop em in my landlords front yard and ignore him hollerin at me about storing all that wood >.> (kidding I already told him I'ma do this, I swear folks when ya'll gonna learn 90% of what I say is made up or worded to be funny..... Least when I'm talking silly like this I mean come on!). Then I'ma start splitting, I have an Axe but axes suck, slow as fuck and exhausting so I'ma try n borrow a splitter. Worst case though, axe it is. Then I'ma load up the firewood in my truck drive it down the mountain and sell the shit!

bout
200 load o pine
300 load o spruce
450 load o oak (I'ma be hunting for this as much as I can)

Now ya'll may say, "But Jess man, I thought you broke your back or some shit," and I'd reply, "Yup, so don't tell my dr. If I'm lucky I'll survive and have 3000-6000 left over so when the snow stops me from cutting, and I recover from being bedridden I can fucking move!"

It's nice n all to say "You'll never work again." But if I gotta keep on like this I'd be better off cutting my head off with that chainsaw. Fuck it, sometimes you just gotta risk your life for a chance to live. At least I'm used to it though.

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
14-09-2018, 11:40 PM
RE: Prolly gonna kill myself soon.... (not suicide)
(Also, I'm kinda psyching myself up cause I'm not fucking looking forward to how tired and in pain I'ma be here till the snow comes, yup.... best not to think bout it)

DLJ Wrote:And, yes, the principle of freedom of expression works both ways... if someone starts shit, better shit is the best counter-argument.
Big Grin
14-09-2018, 11:45 PM
I also really want to do a documentary on the dying forest, the drought, the fires, the people working to stop the forest from burning down, and how climate change is destroying one of the oldest forests on earth. My post earlier about life forests or whatever silly title I came up with, I wasn't joking. Enjoy it while it lasts. This forest is dying. Few more seasons and there won't be a damn tree left in California.

I wanna document it while it can still be made. Go get myself lost in the forest with a camera, I have ideas on a script I need to put to pen. Then go bug forest service, cal fire folks, and dig up data on climate change, n shit. Then maybe beg some of the more talented people (like Robvalue) to help me splice all the video n audio together. Put it up on youtube, ask ppl like professor stick if they'd kinda try n pass it around some. I think it's important people actually see this shit with their own eyes that's happening in their own fucking back yard.

(If I don't kill myself with a chainsaw first..... wish meh luck!)

Big Grin
15-09-2018, 06:11 AM
(14-09-2018 11:37 PM)JesseB Wrote:  Guess who got hisself a new chainsaw! (well not exactly new.... NEW FOR ME THOUGH!)

Yup, ya'll taking bets on how I'd end up killing myself, for the record I haven't made any bombs in years, and I don't work around flammable welding gasses anymore either. or exploadable oil derricks. So that pretty much leaves driving over a cliff, eaten by the wildlife, shot by a hunter (or neighbor) by accident (or on purpose), spontaneous combustion (how? fuck should I know), or choking on a cheeseburger (lets be honest.... pretty likely).

And now guess what just jumped to the top of that list! Bye bye legs! (I'm kidding of course I'ma do my damnedest not to cut off anything I'd rather keep long term >.>)

Kolby (guy lives up here I sometimes do various trades n favors with, he still hasn't helped me install the radio in my truck.... but that's also mostly my own damn fault for being lazy when he's available). Got himself a new chainsaw and gave me his old one. I was up near greenhorn on Portuguese pass (no fucking clue why it's named that, guess some dumb fuck Californian was REALLY lost), saw so much dead trees (mostly from the drought). Loggers come up n cut down. Leave em there for the forest service to clean up. Forest service gives out permits to cut n take what's just lying around (and I think also the stuff marked as dead but being by myself I'm not gonna fuck with felling any trees, just cut up n take what's already on the ground). I mean thousands of trees within a couple miles of where I live, just laying there for FREEEEEEEE.

So I'ma be industrious, go get me a few truckloads of wood (as many as I can get away with. technically the limit is 10 cords.... basically for the uninitiated bout 10 truck loads in my truck). Then I'ma drop em in my landlords front yard and ignore him hollerin at me about storing all that wood >.> (kidding I already told him I'ma do this, I swear folks when ya'll gonna learn 90% of what I say is made up or worded to be funny..... Least when I'm talking silly like this I mean come on!). Then I'ma start splitting, I have an Axe but axes suck, slow as fuck and exhausting so I'ma try n borrow a splitter. Worst case though, axe it is. Then I'ma load up the firewood in my truck drive it down the mountain and sell the shit!

bout
200 load o pine
300 load o spruce
450 load o oak (I'ma be hunting for this as much as I can)

Now ya'll may say, "But Jess man, I thought you broke your back or some shit," and I'd reply, "Yup, so don't tell my dr. If I'm lucky I'll survive and have 3000-6000 left over so when the snow stops me from cutting, and I recover from being bedridden I can fucking move!"

It's nice n all to say "You'll never work again." But if I gotta keep on like this I'd be better off cutting my head off with that chainsaw. Fuck it, sometimes you just gotta risk your life for a chance to live. At least I'm used to it though.

> Here's a suggestion. Cut the wood into 4' lengths and split it on the ground, using a couple of steel wedges, a sledge hammer and axe. Lift the split lengths into your truck using a pulp hook. It's far more efficient than splitting stove lengths on a chopping block and will save a lot of wear and tear on your back. Consider
[+] 1 user Likes Gwaithmir's post
15-09-2018, 07:33 AM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2018 07:36 AM by onlinebiker.)
I' ve yet to see somebody get a full cord in the back of a standard pickup .

To those that don't know - a cord is 4 x 4 x 8 feet stacked ( not just thrown in)

A cord of seasoned hardwood will weigh in excess of 2 tons.

Green - add 25%.

Edit to add

Pine??? Who in their right mind would burn pine?

Any pine I end up cutting ( dead trees in the way) get tossed on the burn pile.

I'm a double atheist. I don't believe in your god or your politician.
[+] 1 user Likes onlinebiker's post
15-09-2018, 09:39 AM
(15-09-2018 07:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I' ve yet to see somebody get a full cord in the back of a standard pickup .

To those that don't know - a cord is 4 x 4 x 8 feet stacked ( not just thrown in)

Green - add 25%.

Edit to add

I'ma be looking for oak, most of the wood up there is pine though unfortunately. quite a bit of ceder too. I'ma be looking for hardwood. Just listing the prices, and pine does sell for about 200 cord. Reality is pine isn't worth it for me to sell at 200, when you consider the cost of gas etc, just listing the prices.

Everything up here that I'ma be messing with is dead, n has been for at least a season. Might seem like greenwood because it all got dropped recently, but it's all ready to burn (the mountain is currently a tinderbox, which is why they are trying to clear out the dead wood). Over the past 10 years something like 60% of the Sequoia national forest has died, mostly from drought. This has caused the bugs to go crazy, which is accelerating the problem as they kill trees along with eating the dead ones. Wildlife is experiencing massive changes up here as a result too.

I mean you drive around up there and see more dead trees than live ones, even the saplings are dead, or half dead. Then you get up near the pass where the last forest fire did it's thing burning something like 40,000 acres. I mean, it's like a dystopian world up here. This is the death of a forest. It's crazy.

Clearing out the dead wood is important, lessens the risk of loosing what's left of the forest in a giant fire. For those that say fire is good for the forest, well it is. But not like this.... don't be stupid small fires are good for the forest, big ones just cause massive destruction. The fires are a symptom, the real problem is there's no fucking water getting shit out of the sky. Year after year no fucking rain, no fucking snow. Not nearly enough for anything to survive. Towns in California have run out of water more than once. No one gives a fuck cause those towns are in the valley where everyone is poor, but... They should give a fuck. Hell LA steals what little water we have, and the valley is where a good chunk of the worlds food is grown. People should care more. Doubt they'll ever give a shit though till it's too late and our species goes extinct.

Big Grin
[+] 1 user Likes JesseB's post
15-09-2018, 01:14 PM
(15-09-2018 09:39 AM)JesseB Wrote:  
(15-09-2018 07:33 AM)onlinebiker Wrote:  I' ve yet to see somebody get a full cord in the back of a standard pickup .

Green - add 25%.

Edit to add

I'ma be looking for oak, most of the wood up there is pine though unfortunately. quite a bit of ceder too. I'ma be looking for hardwood. Just listing the prices, and pine does sell for about 200 cord. Reality is pine isn't worth it for me to sell at 200, when you consider the cost of gas etc, just listing the prices.

Everything up here that I'ma be messing with is dead, n has been for at least a season. Might seem like greenwood because it all got dropped recently, but it's all ready to burn (the mountain is currently a tinderbox, which is why they are trying to clear out the dead wood). Over the past 10 years something like 60% of the Sequoia national forest has died, mostly from drought. This has caused the bugs to go crazy, which is accelerating the problem as they kill trees along with eating the dead ones. Wildlife is experiencing massive changes up here as a result too.

I mean you drive around up there and see more dead trees than live ones, even the saplings are dead, or half dead. Then you get up near the pass where the last forest fire did it's thing burning something like 40,000 acres. I mean, it's like a dystopian world up here. This is the death of a forest. It's crazy.

Clearing out the dead wood is important, lessens the risk of loosing what's left of the forest in a giant fire. For those that say fire is good for the forest, well it is. But not like this.... don't be stupid small fires are good for the forest, big ones just cause massive destruction. The fires are a symptom, the real problem is there's no fucking water getting shit out of the sky. Year after year no fucking rain, no fucking snow. Not nearly enough for anything to survive. Towns in California have run out of water more than once. No one gives a fuck cause those towns are in the valley where everyone is poor, but... They should give a fuck. Hell LA steals what little water we have, and the valley is where a good chunk of the worlds food is grown. People should care more. Doubt they'll ever give a shit though till it's too late and our species goes extinct.

I buy a half cord of oak and a half cord of almond every decade or so in So. CA for the fireplace and the beach. Each season I'll buy a couple of bundles of overpriced pine at the local grocery, too. When cut up into kindling, the pine helps get the "good" wood started. That's about all that pine is good for, for those that know their fire woods.

Disappointing theists since 1968
15-09-2018, 04:27 PM
Mmm...fire....

Don't let those gnomes and their illusions get you down. They're just gnomes and illusions.

--Jake the Dog, Adventure Time

Alouette, je te plumerai.
[+] 1 user Likes Old Man Marsh's post
15-09-2018, 04:29 PM (This post was last modified: 15-09-2018 05:12 PM by JesseB.)
(15-09-2018 01:14 PM)A. Secular Human Wrote:  
(15-09-2018 09:39 AM)JesseB Wrote:  I'ma be looking for oak, most of the wood up there is pine though unfortunately. quite a bit of ceder too. I'ma be looking for hardwood. Just listing the prices, and pine does sell for about 200 cord. Reality is pine isn't worth it for me to sell at 200, when you consider the cost of gas etc, just listing the prices.

I buy a half cord of oak and a half cord of almond every decade or so in So. CA for the fireplace and the beach. Each season I'll buy a couple of bundles of overpriced pine at the local grocery, too. When cut up into kindling, the pine helps get the "good" wood started. That's about all that pine is good for, for those that know their fire woods.

That's not really true at all....

Thing is if you're buying pine in small amounts sure. If you're buying pine in large amounts it's cause you can't afford anything else. I went a winter running mostly on pine. It sucked, I knew my wood types just fine. Couldn't go spend hundreds of dollars on wood. And going without isn't an option. People freeze to death up here in the winter, had a lady loose both her arms n legs from frostbite after falling out of bed in the night. She was in her 30's still.

So sure if you're rich and buying wood because you don't really need it, you just want it cause it looks pretty and you got money to waste you buy the most expensive shit you can afford. If you're poor and you need it to not die in the winter cause you have no heating in your home otherwise, well then you take whatever the fuck you can get, beg, borrow, steal, or afford. Lotta people survive on pine, it's hardly ideal sure. But poverty is a bitch. Escaping poverty is damn near impossible. And no one who has even a moderate lifestyle really gives a flying fuck. But they are happy to give bad advice.

That said, I was pretty fucking clear in 2 fucking posts that I just listed the going price, not that I was planning on hunting for fucking pine. I don't really set the price, the local markets do, which is also why I'm not selling ANY wood on the mountain. I'ma drive it down to places that will pay top dollar for it. Which is another reason I need to target oak, cause my gas cost will be higher, if I did pine I prolly would barely make enough to pay for the gas let alone make a profit. I'm not fucking stupid. N I know just a little fucking bit about building fires, dropping trees, digging ditches, shootin guns, killing rattlesnakes, not freezing to death, not getting overly lost. and various other things required to live in a place like this. HOLY SHIT please read. Gettin tired of repeating myself. I'ma be looking for oak, period. That's the shit that sells. To reach my goal for moving away before next year that's what I have to target.

I'm sorry I even mentioned fucking pine, clearly it was a mistake now ya'll got giant hardons over that one fucking word and didn't bother to fucking read anything else that was said..... Holy shit. Go jerk off to get that hawt pine off yer brain plz then come back when you're ready to read.

Also I need to invest in a healthy supply of beer and pain pills if I'ma survive this work.

I mean fuck ya'll I made an error and listed spruce at 300, spruce is fucking worse than pine, I know I got some, shit feels like quark board n burns in about a half a second when dry. I meant to say Cedar but I was tired and made a typo, ya'll so hung up on the fucking word pine you missed that little gem. Some wood experts ya'll are Tongue

I don't plan on selling kindling either, the only kindling I'ma be getting is for myself, and I got a truck load of it already waiting for me to cut n stack tomorrow (pulled it off Jim's property today for him, figured why waste good kindling on burn piles free wood is free wood).

As for pine, I use it for kindling or to get the stove hot, once that's done I put in a big oak log n let it burn all night. Almond is nice, tons of it down by the farms but I'm not goin down the mountain for it, plenty of trees up here. I stack up a few cords of wood usually try to get 1/3 soft wood 2/3 hardwood and a few boxes of kindling. And then I gotta go bout half way through the winter and restock. I don't have enough storage space to hold enough wood to last the whole winter. But that's also the difference from someone that wants to heat their fancy beach house for fun and someone who's trying not to die from frostbite. Stop assuming i'm some ignorant piece of shit alright?

Making 6000 dollars selling only pine would take at least 30 runs, that's finding, cutting the rounds, splitting the rounds, transporting, completely solo. Sounds like a good way to drop dead of a heart attack. By comparison doing it with oak would take about 15 runs. I once heard a phrase, "work smarter, not harder." The fuck everyone assume I'ma be wasting my damn time, my health and risking my life going for the least profitable shit on the mountain? (Figures do not include the cost of gas, 2 stroke oil, blade oil, blade sharpening, replacement blades, food, water, and potentially medical supplies painkillers n beer, for those who wanna nitpick every damn thing like I'm some sorta retard who hasn't thought of this shit, the difference is between a 200 word post and a 2,000 word post, and unlike ya'll sitting in an air conditioned office all day I spent my Saturday digging a ditch, stacking wood, and pulling branches out of the back country, where the ground sinks like 4 inches as if you're walking through snow, but it's not, that's leaves on steep hills, under trees that are dead and could fall n kill you at any second, and watch yer feet cause there's plenty of rattle snakes, deer ticks, poisons spiders around, and keep an eye around you cause you'll prolly spot a puma, lynx, bear, maybe even a coyote they've been up higher than usual lately, hell I saw some wild boar the other day, they'll fuck you up if you're not careful. If I'm lucky I don't get days off, days off mean days I don't get to eat cause no one pays enough to live even when rent is stupid low like it is up here, people say go work down the mountain like somehow there's places that would pay enough for a person to live in town or up here. Jobs in the valley pay you for the privilege of working for them and not a penny more. That means you'll make just enough that if you're lucky you can afford all your bills n food every month and not a penny more. It's amazing how stupid rich people are and by rich people I mean people who can afford to eat every day or better. They act like somehow they earned it, when in reality not really, just if you don't get the right jobs you're fucked, and then like a type casted actor you'll never be given a chance to do anything else no matter how hard you work)

Big Grin
15-09-2018, 05:09 PM
Pine is fine for backyard bonfires. Smells nice, burns well.

Just be careful with the chainsaw and your back, Jesse!

Where are we going and why am I in this hand basket?
"Life is not all lovely thorns and singing vultures, you know." ~ Morticia Addams

"You're only given one little spark of madness. You mustn't lose it." Robin Williams