Promise rings.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
25-02-2013, 12:16 PM
Promise rings.
So me and my boyfriend have been dating for almost four months now.
We have also been best friends for almost 4 years now.

He wants to buy me a promise ring.
In July he leaves for Marine basic training for 3 months.
He wants to give it to me to assure me not only that one day an engagement ring will be on my finger, but that we will be together through thick and thin.
Opinions?

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
25-02-2013, 12:18 PM
RE: Promise rings.
(25-02-2013 12:16 PM)legendoflink Wrote:  So me and my boyfriend have been dating for almost four months now.
We have also been best friends for almost 4 years now.

He wants to buy me a promise ring.
In July he leaves for Marine basic training for 3 months.
He wants to give it to me to assure me not only that one day an engagement ring will be on my finger, but that we will be together through thick and thin.
Opinions?

You're too young. You're not emotionally stable enough.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
25-02-2013, 12:21 PM
He helps me to restrain from my temptations, more than anyone else. He's like my anti-depressant.
Everyone has problems, mine just happen to be from self-hatred.

"You don't disappoint me.... I think your much braver than you may believe."
bemore

25-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Actually, Chas, I think Legend is just the right age for such a thing. Some people draw strength and support from such small, symbolic things. Legend, I say go for it Thumbsup

(Now, if a 25 yo wanted to give such a ring to his gf? That would be somewhat silly. What is cute when teenagers do it, isn't necessarily so when adults do the same.)

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
Find all posts by this user
[+] 2 users Like Vera's post
25-02-2013, 01:33 PM
I see no harm in it.

A word of warning though, you need to also find your own way of dealing with problems. Your BF is going to be spending long times away from you and whilst I wish you all the happiness and luck.... if you split up there goes your support system and your back to square one all over again, but this time it will be worse caus heartbreak will be involved.

For no matter how much I use these symbols, to describe symptoms of my existence.
You are your own emphasis.
So I say nothing.

-Bemore.
[+] 1 user Likes bemore's post
25-02-2013, 01:48 PM
(25-02-2013 01:33 PM)bemore Wrote:  I see no harm in it.

A word of warning though, you need to also find your own way of dealing with problems. Your BF is going to be spending long times away from you and whilst I wish you all the happiness and luck.... if you split up there goes your support system and your back to square one all over again, but this time it will be worse caus heartbreak will be involved.

Precisely. Dodgy

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
25-02-2013, 02:27 PM
I got married really young. Too young. At your age you don't really know who you are or what you want out of life (I know young people hate hearing that but its true and something you're just gonna have to deal with) I understand that its just a promise ring but I'm just giving you the heads up. Especially when in other posts you've talked about how he's treated you poorly recently (unless I'm confusing him with someone else)

I'm more concerned about him being your "anti-depressent"

As someone who's been down a dark road at times in my life (Maybe someday ill be comfortable sharing my story about it) I just want to say that you need to learn how to be your own anti-depressent, because basing your happiness off other people never works and certainly isn't healthy. You need to learn to make your own happiness, because at the end of the day you are the only one who is going to always be there for yourself.....if that makes sense.
[+] 3 users Like Hobbitgirl's post
25-02-2013, 04:28 PM
oh dear god

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
Now with 40% more awesome.
25-02-2013, 05:29 PM
Start looking for a man if you feel things aren't going to work out. There are too many red flags, especially with the mention of him being your anti-depressant.

Promise rings are a marketing tool the same as cards are a marketing tool for Valentine's day. If you want to make a promise, you don't need a ring to symbolize it; just make a promise. We all know what happened to Sauron, Frodo Baggins, Gollum/Smeagol, Samwise Gamgee, and Bilbo Baggins when they carried a ring; the ring took its toll.

[Image: 3d366d5c-72a0-4228-b835-f404c2970188_zps...1381867723]
[+] 3 users Like cheapthrillseaker's post
25-02-2013, 05:34 PM
Jeez, guys! Look at you, making such a fuss about a silly, little meaningless thing that may give her a momentary feeling of warmth.

No one's talking about marriage or anything here.

"E se non passa la tristezza con altri occhi la guarderĂ²."
[+] 1 user Likes Vera's post