Promoting this place a bit.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-08-2012, 09:22 AM
RE: Promoting this place a bit.
(18-08-2012 04:48 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 04:40 AM)DLJ Wrote:  That meeting would be hilarious. I would become an alcoholic just so I could attend.

Humour aside, imagine yourself as an atheist who has subsisted within a theistic world, who needs a life-raft to cling on to... free of theists... The Thinking Atheist isn't the place to come. Indeed, the forum name is a misnomer.

I'm intrigued to know what Seth's position is on this... and whether Stark Raving is singing from the same hymn-sheet as Seth.

Ok, I confess that I can not imagine that cos I've never been in that situation but that implies that TTA should be a theist free zone.
What is it that gets atheists thinking? Theists.

Without the theists, how would Chas, Bucky, Buddy et al get their regular therapeutic cathartics?

Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 2 users Like DLJ's post
18-08-2012, 09:28 AM
(18-08-2012 09:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Without the theists, how would Chas, Bucky, Buddy et al get their regular therapeutic cathartics?

Well, I'd still have Luminon. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 3 users Like Chas's post
18-08-2012, 09:30 AM
(18-08-2012 09:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok, I confess that I can not imagine that cos I've never been in that situation but that implies that TTA should be a theist free zone.

Theists that they encounter in the big bad outside world. Which isn't necessarily what should happen in here. It's already been explained (and I understand that explanation) that theists are welcome in here.

There is, however, a recognisable difference between having assorted atheists and theists as regular members... and having a theist is a moderator. This has nothing to do with KC as a person. From what I've seen, he's a pleasant chap. This is about what he is, not who he is. Advertising his prominence in here (by Seth's podcasts, or elsewhere) may well prevent atheists from joining the ranks.

This is a simple truth. If it's an acceptable truth, then so be it.
18-08-2012, 09:59 AM
I am perfectly comfortable with people deciding this is not the place for them. I cannot, and have no desire, to accommodate every atheist. This is a forum that has staff chosen based on their character, not their beliefs. If that's not what someone wants in a forum, there's nothing wrong with that.

Let's get something straight. This forum was built as a platform for discussion. Not a safe haven for atheists to hide amongst their own ranks. This may or may not reflect what Seth wants for the forum. If he feels it is inappropriate, I will discuss it with him, but I want everyone to understand that this particular forum reflects MY vision of what I want it to be, NOT Seth's. And although I am confident Seth would have my back on this, it is not his idea, nor his responsibility. If a bad call is made around here, it's not his fault, it's mine.

When Seth turned the forum over to me I was given permission to do as I please with it. It's now two years later, and Seth has never once told me he didn't want me to do something. At the end of the day, it,s my forum, and if tomorrow Seth decides it's not, that's alright. I will walk away knowing I did my best at building what I envisioned. He's always supported what I do here, and always left the decisions to me. So if I'm singing a different hymn, that's just fine. You see having different viewpoints makes Seth and I individuals. We respect each other in spite of differing opinions, kinda like KC and I.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
18-08-2012, 10:04 AM
(18-08-2012 09:30 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 09:22 AM)DLJ Wrote:  Ok, I confess that I can not imagine that cos I've never been in that situation but that implies that TTA should be a theist free zone.

Theists that they encounter in the big bad outside world. Which isn't necessarily what should happen in here. It's already been explained (and I understand that explanation) that theists are welcome in here.

There is, however, a recognisable difference between having assorted atheists and theists as regular members... and having a theist is a moderator. This has nothing to do with KC as a person. From what I've seen, he's a pleasant chap. This is about what he is, not who he is. Advertising his prominence in here (by Seth's podcasts, or elsewhere) may well prevent atheists from joining the ranks.

This is a simple truth. If it's an acceptable truth, then so be it.

I stand by what I said about it being promotional material but whether it be beneficial promotional material... ok, I will defer... 'cos I can't get inside the heads of other atheists (never did do that Theory of Mind thing).

18-08-2012, 10:21 AM
Oops...one more thing....

Just for the record, my suggestion to Seth was that he could perhaps mention the forum on the podcast, not that he advertise that we have a theist moderator. I don't think that it's even relevant that we have a Christian mod. What's relevant is that we have mods (and I mean ALL of our mods) that are a strong part of the forum community. They all contribute, and have proven themselves to be trustworthy and honest.

I'm also not taking a shot at anyone, nor am I addressing anyone specific, so I apologize if I came off that way. I simply wish to explain what this forum is about.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 3 users Like Stark Raving's post
18-08-2012, 10:29 AM
(18-08-2012 09:59 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  Let's get something straight. This forum was built as a platform for discussion. Not a safe haven for atheists to hide amongst their own ranks.

OK. This is rather divorced from the original discussion, but that statement is a slightly curious one, to me. And, by "curious" I mean that I'm curious about a potential chain of events, and how that would be handled, given what you just said.

What would happen if a lot of theists joined the forum? And by "a lot" I mean enough so that atheists were in the minority. What if 90% of those posting here were Christians who had been encouraged to join the ranks in order to evangelise the true meaning of Christ's love? A kind of mass-event, organised by a pastor somewhere who had decided that the internet just has too many atheists on it... and that this masterplan will get him closer to his God?

The place becomes so theist-infested that all of the atheists leave... apart from you.

Again, this has nothing to do with "Forum News", but the idea of "Promoting this place a bit" as this thread suggests. I mean, it might happen. It could happen. There is nothing (in the rules) that would prevent that from happening.

Just curious.
18-08-2012, 10:38 AM
(18-08-2012 10:21 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm also not taking a shot at anyone, nor am I addressing anyone specific, so I apologize if I came off that way. I simply wish to explain what this forum is about.

And for further clarification, I'm not trying to be a rabble-rouser. I just have thoughts that I tend to share. They're not always popular thoughts, but honesty has always trumped popularity to me; so I ask questions that some might not want asked. Try not to hate me... too much.
[+] 1 user Likes Red Celt's post
18-08-2012, 10:41 AM
(18-08-2012 10:38 AM)Red Celt Wrote:  
(18-08-2012 10:21 AM)Stark Raving Wrote:  I'm also not taking a shot at anyone, nor am I addressing anyone specific, so I apologize if I came off that way. I simply wish to explain what this forum is about.

And for further clarification, I'm not trying to be a rabble-rouser. I just have thoughts that I tend to share. They're not always popular thoughts, but honesty has always trumped popularity to me; so I ask questions that some might not want asked. Try not to hate me... too much.

Too late!
Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries.

[+] 6 users Like DLJ's post
18-08-2012, 10:43 AM
If that's what happens, then it will suck. But that's the risk we take (though I don't really think it's much of a risk at all).

How it would be handled is a good question. If the forum deteriorates, or is otherwise ruined for the members, then I would suspect I would step down from the admin position, and the new admin would put into place whatever rules they see fit to guide the forum towards their vision of what it should be. So far, the forum has grown from a single forum section with a few active members, to what you see today. It has gotten here under my philosophies, and with the input of all the members to some degree. I lean hard on the staff here to keep me in check and reasonable. But how we would handle a situation like you described above has yet to be seen. I suppose it's a "cross that bridge when we come to it" kind of scenario.

I do promise one thing to you all......if I fuck this place up, tell me and i'l walk away. First and foremost, I want this forum to be a success, regardless of any personal agenda I may have.

Just visiting.

-SR
[+] 2 users Like Stark Raving's post