Proof Moses was not instructed by God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
05-06-2015, 11:23 AM
RE: Proof Moses was not instructed by God.
(05-06-2015 11:01 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  
(04-06-2015 11:04 AM)Eva Wrote:  Lack of evidence and I read the bible. Worst book I've ever read. Jesus needs anger management classes, particularly when he curses the fig tree.

I'm not sure whether to take you seriously here. The fig tree stands for Israel. It's a metaphor, a parable of how Jesus had visited Jerusalem three times in ministry and had to go the cross. Jesus said in Matthew 24:

"Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that my return is near—at the doors!"

Jesus wasn't angered that He couldn't get literal figs--He was headed to town where there were plenty of them, picked and ready.

Also, to be frank, I don't "buy" when someone says I won't trust in the NT Jesus because He seems angry. Sure, He was angry, particularly at people who were hypocritical in their religious attitudes. If He's angry, and the Lord of Judgment able to cast into Hell, that would be a good reason to be saved, not to avoid salvation.

Mark 11 and Matthew 21 are hardly established as a parable that Jesus was telling about someone else. Instead they are portrayed as real stories in which a crazed Jesus curses a fig tree for not bearing fruit even though it was not in season. #Lunatic.

**Crickets** -- God
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 3 users Like Tonechaser77's post
05-06-2015, 11:42 AM
(05-06-2015 11:01 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Also, to be frank, I don't "buy" when someone says I won't trust in the NT Jesus because He seems angry. Sure, He was angry, particularly at people who were hypocritical in their religious attitudes. If He's angry, and the Lord of Judgment able to cast into Hell, that would be a good reason to be saved, not to avoid salvation.
Dodgy
Speaking of buying it ...

Jesus: knock, knock
Man: who's there?
Jesus: Jesus, let me in.
Man: why?
Jesus: so I can save you.
Man: save me? Save me from what?
Jesus: from what I'm going to do to you if you don't let me in.

A new type of thinking is essential if mankind is to survive and move to higher levels. ~ Albert Einstein
[+] 3 users Like kim's post
08-06-2015, 09:58 AM
(05-06-2015 11:23 AM)Tonechaser77 Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 11:01 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm not sure whether to take you seriously here. The fig tree stands for Israel. It's a metaphor, a parable of how Jesus had visited Jerusalem three times in ministry and had to go the cross. Jesus said in Matthew 24:

"Now learn this parable from the fig tree: When its branch has already become tender and puts forth leaves, you know that summer is near. 33 So you also, when you see all these things, know that my return is near—at the doors!"

Jesus wasn't angered that He couldn't get literal figs--He was headed to town where there were plenty of them, picked and ready.

Also, to be frank, I don't "buy" when someone says I won't trust in the NT Jesus because He seems angry. Sure, He was angry, particularly at people who were hypocritical in their religious attitudes. If He's angry, and the Lord of Judgment able to cast into Hell, that would be a good reason to be saved, not to avoid salvation.

Mark 11 and Matthew 21 are hardly established as a parable that Jesus was telling about someone else. Instead they are portrayed as real stories in which a crazed Jesus curses a fig tree for not bearing fruit even though it was not in season. #Lunatic.

Thank you, but making a declarative statement that is also general is simply name calling to my eyes. Jesus said "Now learn THIS PARABLE OF THE FIG TREE" than gave the interpretation. Your argument is (no surprise at TTA) shooting from the hip yet without actually referencing the text as it stands.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
08-06-2015, 10:55 AM
All of which any discussion of ANYTHING related to something jesus allegedly said is a exercise in futility as NO ONE who ever wrote of jesus, knew him. All based on stories handed down, and people LOVE to tell, and exaggerate stories now don't they?

Have you heard the one about jesus where upon his death the entire earth shook and grew dark from 3-6 pm, the temple curtain twain in two, and corpses burst out of their tombs and walked amongst the townfolk? No? huh? I like the part where people assert "they passed down events by word of mouth" yeah but when this happened, there was a plethora of literate people who would have written down these amazing events and miracles of fiction...like Philo of Alexandria...or even Justus who lived in Gallilee...nope, apparently not only did they not write down these events, but they don't even mention a jesus...almost like he was unknown at the time Consider

"Belief is so often the death of reason" - Qyburn, Game of Thrones

"The Christian community continues to exist because the conclusions of the critical study of the Bible are largely withheld from them." -Hans Conzelmann (1915-1989)
08-06-2015, 04:45 PM
(04-06-2015 11:04 AM)Eva Wrote:  Lack of evidence and I read the bible. Worst book I've ever read. Jesus needs anger management classes, particularly when he curses the fig tree.

I'm not sure whether to take you seriously here. The fig tree stands for Israel. It's a metaphor, a parable of how Jesus had visited Jerusalem three times in ministry and had to go the cross. Jesus said in Matthew 24:

It depends on the translation - you are assuming that translation is accurate and then making a connection that is not necessarily there.

The New International Version has it:
32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.

And the King James has an utterly different take on it.
32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
09-06-2015, 03:07 AM

I would advise you to not take me seriously. Not because I read the bible but didn't comprehend it correctly but more because I read the bible and found it to be a load of mouldy old tosh. To me it is like discussing the teachings of Santa with an adult who believes he is real, I just cannot take it seriously. I am not intentionally trying to be disrespectful towards you, I get it, to you Jesus is as real as this keyboard I am currently typing on is to me. But...to me it is incredulous that grown adults believe this and the sarcastic brit in me comes out. How you take that and what you do with it is entirely up to you.

NOFX's song 'Best God in Show' sums up my attitude.

"The person who is certain, and who claims divine warrant for his certainty, belongs now to the infancy of our species." - Christopher Hitchens

"Remember kids, if you don't sin, then Jesus died for nothing. Have a great day!" - Ricky Gervais
09-06-2015, 09:36 AM
(08-06-2015 10:55 AM)goodwithoutgod Wrote:  All of which any discussion of ANYTHING related to something jesus allegedly said is a exercise in futility as NO ONE who ever wrote of jesus, knew him. All based on stories handed down, and people LOVE to tell, and exaggerate stories now don't they?

Have you heard the one about jesus where upon his death the entire earth shook and grew dark from 3-6 pm, the temple curtain twain in two, and corpses burst out of their tombs and walked amongst the townfolk? No? huh? I like the part where people assert "they passed down events by word of mouth" yeah but when this happened, there was a plethora of literate people who would have written down these amazing events and miracles of fiction...like Philo of Alexandria...or even Justus who lived in Gallilee...nope, apparently not only did they not write down these events, but they don't even mention a jesus...almost like he was unknown at the time Consider

Are you aware the NT has 12 authors and not 1? 12 people, 11 of whom were neither classically educated nor religious leaders, wrote/dictated about Jesus to promulgate their faith.

I'm told atheists on forums like TTA are bitter and angry. If you are not, your posts to me will be respectful, insightful and thoughtful. Prove me wrong by your adherence to decent behavior.
09-06-2015, 09:37 AM
(08-06-2015 04:45 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(05-06-2015 11:01 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  I'm not sure whether to take you seriously here. The fig tree stands for Israel. It's a metaphor, a parable of how Jesus had visited Jerusalem three times in ministry and had to go the cross. Jesus said in Matthew 24:

It depends on the translation - you are assuming that translation is accurate and then making a connection that is not necessarily there.

The New International Version has it:
32 “Now learn this lesson from the fig tree: As soon as its twigs get tender and its leaves come out, you know that summer is near.

And the King James has an utterly different take on it.
32 Now learn a parable of the fig tree; When his branch is yet tender, and putteth forth leaves, ye know that summer is nigh:

Are you unaware that a parable is a lesson in story form?

09-06-2015, 09:38 AM
(09-06-2015 03:07 AM)Eva Wrote:  

I would advise you to not take me seriously. Not because I read the bible but didn't comprehend it correctly but more because I read the bible and found it to be a load of mouldy old tosh. To me it is like discussing the teachings of Santa with an adult who believes he is real, I just cannot take it seriously. I am not intentionally trying to be disrespectful towards you, I get it, to you Jesus is as real as this keyboard I am currently typing on is to me. But...to me it is incredulous that grown adults believe this and the sarcastic brit in me comes out. How you take that and what you do with it is entirely up to you.

NOFX's song 'Best God in Show' sums up my attitude.

I speak with people who feel that way frequently. I learn that some of them really haven't read much of the Bible, and that the ones who have are very unlikely to have 1) studied Bible prophecy 2) studied evidence verifying Bible facts in archaeology/history 3) attended a church teaching Jesus saves rather than a church telling people good people go to Heaven so don't Jesus seriously 4) etc.