Proof Moses was not instructed by God.

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
23-05-2015, 12:26 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 12:31 PM by Szuchow.)
RE: Proof Moses was not instructed by God.
(23-05-2015 12:20 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 10:58 AM)Szuchow Wrote:  For those who believe that if there is no god then everything is permitted. Sadly there is quite a few of such peoples.

I believe this. Are you saying that you believe that an objective morality exists? Do you believe that an action can possess the quality of "right" or "wrong" (or "good" or "evil")?

You believe that god is source of all morals? That everything is permitted if there is no old man with a beard who tell you whats right and whats wrong? If so what about biblical genocide?

Also if you do believe that then I do not wish to waste breath on arguing, as there can be no dispute with such belief. And frankly people who think that without god everything is permitted disgust me, for it seems like only thing that they think keeps them from killing spree is some invisible friend.

And no I'm not saying that objective morality exists. From where you taken such idea?

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
23-05-2015, 12:33 PM
(23-05-2015 12:26 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  You believe that god is source of all morals? If so what about biblical genocide?

I don't believe that a god exists.

Also if you do believe that then I do not wish to waste breath on arguing, as there can be no dispute with such belief.

And no I'm not saying that objective morality exists. From where you taken such idea?

I believe that there is no god, and that everything is permissible (no objective morality). Why do you feel sad about that? You seemed to be implying that even with no god, not everything is permissible, which seems to imply an objective morality even in the absence of a god.
23-05-2015, 12:43 PM
(23-05-2015 12:33 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 12:26 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  You believe that god is source of all morals? If so what about biblical genocide?

I don't believe that a god exists.

Also if you do believe that then I do not wish to waste breath on arguing, as there can be no dispute with such belief.

I believe that there is no god, and that everything is permissible (no objective morality). Why do you feel sad about that?

So in short you don't believe in god but you think that everything is permissible? If our understanding of word permissible isn't drastically differen't - which is possible as english isn't my first language - then I am disgusted. And you asking why disgusts me even more.

There are thing that should not be done under any circumstances - raping the children while horrific is good example. And it's not about objective morality (though I think some core of morality which is recognizable to all can exists) but about not being trash unworthy of life.

The first revolt is against the supreme tyranny of theology, of the phantom of God. As long as we have a master in heaven, we will be slaves on earth.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2015, 12:48 PM
(23-05-2015 12:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  So in short you don't believe in god but you think that everything is permissible? If our understanding of word permissible isn't drastically differen't - which is possible as english isn't my first language - then I am disgusted. And you asking why disgusts me even more.

There are thing that should not be done under any circumstances - raping the children while horrific is good example. And it's not about objective morality (though I think some core of morality which is recognizable to all can exists) but about not being trash unworthy of life.

Is abortion permissible? How about late-term abortion? How about partial-birth abortion? How about infanticide? How do you know what is permissible, and what isn't?
23-05-2015, 12:55 PM
(23-05-2015 12:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  And you asking why disgusts me even more.

It almost feels like I'm talking to a Christian.
23-05-2015, 12:56 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 01:14 PM by Szuchow.)
(23-05-2015 12:48 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 12:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  So in short you don't believe in god but you think that everything is permissible? If our understanding of word permissible isn't drastically differen't - which is possible as english isn't my first language - then I am disgusted. And you asking why disgusts me even more.

Is abortion permissible? How about late-term abortion? How about partial-birth abortion? How about infanticide? How do you know what is permissible, and what isn't?

This is the level on which you want talk? But if you really think that everything is permissible then I don't expect more from you.

Consider this my last answer. I won't waste my breath on further "dispute".

(23-05-2015 12:55 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 12:43 PM)Szuchow Wrote:  And you asking why disgusts me even more.

It almost feels like I'm talking to a Christian.

I feel like I'm talking to someone without shred of morals, who don't kill or steal because of fear of police and nothing more, considering that everything is permissible.

Edit: Ignoring. More than useful.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2015, 12:58 PM
(23-05-2015 12:48 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  

There is a difference of saying, well since there is no objective morality, I should just do whatever whim hits me. AND meaning that is what everything is permissible means. And acknowledging Morality is a social construct formed by societies and communication of shared values that exist evolutionary among people. Then taking that as a contrast to everything is permissible as a saying.

By "everything is permissible" it's generally a religious fear of the non-belief ideas because it to them means, they could go kill 20 people but there would be no actual harm in it since it wasn't said to be bad by any grand designer to them.

"Allow there to be a spectrum in all that you see" - Neil Degrasse Tyson
[+] 1 user Likes ClydeLee's post
23-05-2015, 01:03 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 01:11 PM by Szuchow.)
(23-05-2015 12:58 PM)ClydeLee Wrote:  
(23-05-2015 12:48 PM)Matt Finney Wrote:  Is abortion permissible? How about late-term abortion? How about partial-birth abortion? How about infanticide? How do you know what is permissible, and what isn't?

There is a difference of saying, well since there is no objective morality, I should just do whatever whim hits me. and acknowledging Morality is a social construct formed by societies and communication of shared values that exist evolutionary among people.

Certainly. So there is no way in which everything can be permissible. There always be some rules, part of them shared amongst big part of population.

If one think that everything is permissible then I consider such person to be danger to mine or others well being, cause there always can be found reason enough to do something.

Everything permissible for me is simple idiocy, theist trash talking about atheists and maybe projection of their fears that without faith in old man in the sky they would descend to unprecedented level of barbarism.

Mikhail Bakunin.
23-05-2015, 01:09 PM (This post was last modified: 23-05-2015 01:15 PM by Matt Finney.)
Is abortion permissible?

Should be a very easy question to those who claim to know what is and isn't permissible.

Also, if not god, then who is granting/denying permission?
23-05-2015, 01:59 PM
(22-05-2015 10:11 AM)The Q Continuum Wrote:  Also, words like justice and mercy are mere platitudes without action and rules. The Bible provides rules.

The Bible provides some good rules, but a lot of bad rules. I prefer to adhere to my own rules, and I'll contest that they work better than god's.

There's a reason that the greatest and most celebrated declarations of rules for society are specifically secular.

But now I have come to believe that the whole world is an enigma, a harmless enigma that is made terrible by our own mad attempt to interpret it as though it had an underlying truth.

~ Umberto Eco
[+] 1 user Likes evenheathen's post