Proof by Hot Air... FART

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-03-2012, 11:18 AM
RE: Proof by Hot Air... FART
No, someone saying a theological belief is invalid and backs their claims by what is said in the Bible. In my retort I use scripture as well. Their rebuttal is that my claim is false because the Bible is false.

[Image: dog-shaking.gif]
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-03-2012, 11:29 AM
(12-03-2012 11:05 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  
(12-03-2012 11:03 AM)Eternal Wrote:  
(12-03-2012 10:58 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  I think y'all are misunderstanding me. People argue the validity of a theological belief based on what the Bible says and then say it's false if I use the scripture.

Personally I have no objection to someone using scripture when it can be backed up by evidence. Using scripture as the only source for any argument or assertion is weak though.

Evidence in what?

I'm talking in a theological stance: ie Calvinism / Arminianism

Sorry, I should have made myself clearer. Maybe evidence was not the correct word.

When discussing theology it must still hold up to rationality and logic imo. Using scripture to try to strengthen a stance without some sort of logic or observations that are consistent with reality is weak.

For example, If you were to say that there is an all loving, all powerful god then you must explain the existence of evil. To do so by quoting scripture is not sufficient imo, the scripture that is being quoted must be logically consistent with our observed reality.

Maybe I am still misunderstanding, but I am fairly new to all this so am learning all the time.

"Belief means not wanting to know what is true"
Friedrich Nietzsche
12-03-2012, 11:32 AM
(12-03-2012 11:18 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No, someone saying a theological belief is invalid and backs their claims by what is said in the Bible. In my retort I use scripture as well. Their rebuttal is that my claim is false because the Bible is false.

that may depend on how the arguments are presented. For example, If I use the contradictions in the bible to proof it's inconsistent and therefore the theological ideas that come from it are wrong, then you cannot use the bible to say they're right, because I've proved the premiss is not valid.

I'm trying to imagine a scenario when what you say is possible, I know there is one somewhere, but my imagination is shy today Tongue

[Image: sigvacachica.png]
12-03-2012, 12:30 PM (This post was last modified: 12-03-2012 02:42 PM by DLJ.)
(12-03-2012 11:18 AM)kingschosen Wrote:  No, someone saying a theological belief is invalid and backs their claims by what is said in the Bible. In my retort I use scripture as well. Their rebuttal is that my claim is false because the Bible is false.

Ah, ok, point taken. Using the bible to disqualify your position and then stating that their basis for that argument (the bible) is false does negate their own position.

And what proof is your antagonist using to say that the bible is false? Proof by (their own) Authority

[+] 1 user Likes DLJ's post
12-03-2012, 03:25 PM
You know what strikes me as odd in all these 2000 year old rhetorical truth debates? The absolute personal absence of the subject itself. TongueTongueTongue

Observer

Agnostic atheist
Secular humanist
Emotional rationalist
Disclaimer: Don’t mix the personal opinion above with the absolute and objective truth. Remember to think for yourself. Thank you.
[+] 1 user Likes Observer's post