Proof of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
18-01-2017, 10:42 AM
RE: Proof of God
This is unusual. A drive by religious nut posting once and then, wooooooosh! Gone in a flash. I don't think this has ever happened. Consider

Shakespeare's Comedy of Errors.... on Donald J. Trump:

He is deformed, crooked, old, and sere,
Ill-fac’d, worse bodied, shapeless every where;
Vicious, ungentle, foolish, blunt, unkind,
Stigmatical in making, worse in mind.
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
[+] 8 users Like dancefortwo's post
18-01-2017, 11:07 AM
(18-01-2017 10:42 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This is unusual. A drive by religious nut posting once and then, wooooooosh! Gone in a flash. I don't think this has ever happened. Consider

Will he be back?

Oh no. He's here - God
18-01-2017, 11:30 AM
It makes no never mind.
The guests here FAR outnumber the posters.
They will read this scandalous nonsense.
People like this provide a continuing opportunity to keep the teeth sharp.

Insufferable know-it-all.Einstein God has a plan for us. Please stop screwing it up with your prayers.
[+] 1 user Likes Bucky Ball's post
18-01-2017, 01:42 PM
I'm just here for the laughs. Big Grin
[+] 4 users Like pablo's post
18-01-2017, 01:47 PM
What is the over/under on this being nothing more than a drive-by?

Being nice is something stupid people do to hedge their bets
-Rick
18-01-2017, 01:48 PM
Sigh so much effort, so little understanding.

Don't Live each day like it's your last. Live each day like you have 541 days after that one where every choice you make will have lasting implications to you and the world around you. ~ Tim Minchin
[+] 1 user Likes Commonsensei's post
18-01-2017, 02:34 PM
What's with all the drive by threads lately? They come in all confidant and self assured, we ask very pointed questions hoping for a real debate and then nothing. Even when they respond it's only a few and then they bail out.

Are we that good? I hope so, I hope we are scaring them away with all our logic and reasonable questions and concerns. Sure, maybe you can get away with that kind of reasoning at another forum, but not TTA, you messed with the wrong atheists! Hahahahahaha!!

But seriously though the Bible as "proof" of God, so the Harry Potter books are proof of Hogwarts, there are even very specific mentions of why the muggle world doesn't see or notice magical happenings around them, it makes perfect sense!

You can't use a book of magic to prove magic exists in the real world, anyone can write anything and then say it's the "truth" but how do you know unless you test it and research it and then have someone else replicate the same experiments?

It's not asking that much, we already know books are real, writers are real and the Bible is a real book. Now just take that one step further and prove any magical thing from that one book is real and then talk to us about it. Until then you just sound like a crazy person going on and on about this one book of magical myths and it's real! It says so right here in the book! What other proof do you need?! Any proof, that's it, literally any valid evidence outside of the Bible, we're waiting.

[Image: sagansig_zps6vhbql6m.jpg]
[+] 2 users Like SitaSky's post
18-01-2017, 05:24 PM (This post was last modified: 18-01-2017 05:27 PM by Stevil.)
(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  This thread is for the purpose of addressing some the questions typically raised by atheists:
1. Who or what is God?
2. What demonstrable evidence can be presented for the existence of God?
3. If God exists, why doesn't he prove it?
Quote above has some minor asthetic improvements made by me.

(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  The Bible is a very good place to provide a good answer.
Unfortunately the bible is a collection of nonsensical gibberish fantasy horror stories.

(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  "...what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them.  For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship,..." (Romans 1:19, 20).
Pre science days this was mostly what people had at their own disposal. Perception and imagination or the imagination of a respected authority. Thank god that we have moved on to a much more reliable method of discovery.

(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  Thus perception plays a very important part in trying to offer an explanation concerning the Creator.
Not to mention the application of naivety and credulity as well as preconceived ideas coupled with confirmation bias.

(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  "You can't prove that there is a God."

This kind of statement ignores that there are different kinds of 'proof'.
This type of statement is requesting a person to present evidence.

(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  That's the kind of 'proof' we can present: arguments to bring someone beyond reasonable doubt.

(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  So, let us reason a bit.

(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  And here is one item we all see without any understanding. Something so basic it has no record anywhere in the Bible as having been created. And that even though many think it is listed among the creations attributed to God. And what is that? LIFE.

The Bible tells us this at Psalm 36:9 simply that the 'source of life is God'.
This is an assertion. It isn't evidence. You could perhaps phrase it into the beginnings of a hypothesis. But then you would need to flesh this hypothesis out in order to come up with testable criteria. You would do this by considering the alternatives and finding ways to discover evidence which would discern between the alternatives, until only one option remains.

For example we might posture that life was created:
a. By some invisible magical intelligent creature
b. By natural processes

In order to distinguish between a. and b. we would have to say that the creature (in a) is unnatural, by this we mean, not confined by the laws of physics, perhaps not made of energy and matter. Logically we would have to admit, that if this creature created life then this creature itself cannot be life, cannot be alive, which would mean this is an inanimate object rather than a creature. We would also have to say that (in b) the natural process was without strategy, without purpose or goal.

The process of evolution and our understanding of DNA show us that the genetics and epigenetics of life forms are formed of many, many generations in a natural and stepwise progression. That there is no purpose or intentionality required in this process, just descent with modification and natural selection. It was once perceived that creatures where so wonderfully complex and so amazingly adapted to their environments that it must have been via an intelligent designer. This was the position of most intellectuals, including Charles Darwin, until he came to understand evolution. From then on, most intellectuals understand and accept that the process is natural.

People haven't yet discovered how abiogenesis occurred but scientists are actively exploring how this may have occurred naturally, coming up with many testable hypothesis, and discarding those that fail the test. These hypothesis are built upon what is currently known about the universe.

Religions are steadfastly asserting that it was their god or gods that created life and resenting any hypothesis that does not include their god. The religious claim is built around what is not currently known about the universe, things that have been postulated to exist (i.e. gods, supernatural entities and forces) but never proven to actually exist.
[+] 1 user Likes Stevil's post
18-01-2017, 05:35 PM
(18-01-2017 11:07 AM)Cypher44 Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 10:42 AM)dancefortwo Wrote:  This is unusual. A drive by religious nut posting once and then, wooooooosh! Gone in a flash. I don't think this has ever happened. Consider

Will he be back?
Well he has spent a sum total of 6 minutes and 9 seconds on this site so far, so unless he only posts once a day after his Bible classes are out, I doubt he'll be back. I think he wrote his little essay, pasted it here, and maybe a few other atheist sites if I don't miss my guess. Mission accomplished. He has something to testify about tonight at weekly prayer meeting.
[+] 4 users Like mordant's post
18-01-2017, 05:35 PM
Yes Tim I want to call you on this:
The Bible tells us this at Psalm 36:9 simply that the 'source of life is God'. Much has been hypothesized about life. Some have speculated about life having a chemical nature. Some have claimed that by assembling certain molecules together they have created life. But when pressed, they admit they can not and did not create life.
Tell us of anyone who has claimed to have made life? I never heard of it outside of fiction.