Proof of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-01-2017, 07:29 PM
RE: Proof of God
Too long, didn't read Drinking Beverage
The title told me all I need to know.

If we came from dust, then why is there still dust?
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
19-01-2017, 08:17 PM
(18-01-2017 10:19 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I've said it before and I'll say it again: First-time posters should have a Terms of Service agreement that they can't just scroll down to the end and press AGREE without actually reading it. And that TOS agreement should have the boilerplate chestnuts, such as burden of proof, bible is the claim, etc. Then, their first post must be approved by an admin and if this post breaks the rules of the TOS then it doesn't get posted. Such energy wasted on a drive-by sheep.

Or the mods could refuse to approve this kind of first post and tell the user why, point the user to "we've already debunked this shit" thread in the Resources forum, and say to post an intro in the intro thread before proceeding. Drinking Beverage

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
19-01-2017, 08:52 PM
(19-01-2017 08:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 10:19 AM)WillHopp Wrote:  I've said it before and I'll say it again: First-time posters should have a Terms of Service agreement that they can't just scroll down to the end and press AGREE without actually reading it. And that TOS agreement should have the boilerplate chestnuts, such as burden of proof, bible is the claim, etc. Then, their first post must be approved by an admin and if this post breaks the rules of the TOS then it doesn't get posted. Such energy wasted on a drive-by sheep.

Or the mods could refuse to approve this kind of first post and tell the user why, point the user to "we've already debunked this shit" thread in the Resources forum, and say to post an intro in the intro thread before proceeding. Drinking Beverage
Oh, I don't know, I kind of enjoy it, it's like shooting fish in a barrel really. I don't know that the admins should bear the burden and have all the fun. Besides, we can decide for ourselves the merits of a post.
19-01-2017, 09:58 PM
Yeah, they're good for practice.

Help for the living. Hope for the dead. ~ R.G. Ingersoll

Freedom offers opportunity. Opportunity confers responsibility. Responsibility to use the freedom we enjoy wisely, honestly and humanely. ~ Noam Chomsky
19-01-2017, 11:25 PM
(19-01-2017 08:52 PM)mordant Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 08:17 PM)Chas Wrote:  Or the mods could refuse to approve this kind of first post and tell the user why, point the user to "we've already debunked this shit" thread in the Resources forum, and say to post an intro in the intro thread before proceeding. Drinking Beverage
Oh, I don't know, I kind of enjoy it, it's like shooting fish in a barrel really. I don't know that the admins should bear the burden and have all the fun. Besides, we can decide for ourselves the merits of a post.

Someone who has shown the willingness to participate, i.e. not a drive-by, can post any stupid shit they want. I'm suggesting a drive-by filter.

20-01-2017, 02:39 AM
(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  You can ask me and I promise to try and answer your questions using reason, logic and the Bible. I like a good challenge.

"Lying for Jesus ...", as our prophet RS76 likes to say

Ceterum censeo, religionem delendam esse
[+] 1 user Likes Deesse23's post
20-01-2017, 07:32 AM
(19-01-2017 11:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 08:52 PM)mordant Wrote:  Oh, I don't know, I kind of enjoy it, it's like shooting fish in a barrel really. I don't know that the admins should bear the burden and have all the fun. Besides, we can decide for ourselves the merits of a post.

Someone who has shown the willingness to participate, i.e. not a drive-by, can post any stupid shit they want. I'm suggesting a drive-by filter.
Except that I do not know a sure way to detect a drive-by until after the fact. By definition, it is someone who posts once and then doesn't participate. I would say such people could have their account closed for that reason, but it can't happen until a week or so has passed (sometimes people do have personal stuff going on and their online access can be spotty).

They can also be shut down for obvious plagiarism. That last can be quickly determined via Google search or by putting a screed into one of the plagiarism detection services -- it could in theory even be automated. I can see an argument for making checking for unoriginal content a standard practice.

Although the fact that this same verbiage is on other sites does not prove that the same person posted them all, or even that the material is copyrighted, it does prove that the poster is not making the effort to post their own original thoughts as themselves, which is fundamentally dishonest and can not have a good ending for users here. Such people can and should be excluded.
20-01-2017, 10:02 AM
(19-01-2017 07:27 PM)Paleophyte Wrote:  
(18-01-2017 07:25 AM)unfogged Wrote:  I'm betting drive-by. It looks like a copy/paste job.

Time Spent Online: 6 Minutes, 9 Seconds

It must have been more like: copy... *pray*... paste... *pray some more*... save. Smile

I am not accountable to any God. I am accountable to myself - and not because I think I am God as some theists would try to assert - but because, no matter what actions I take, thoughts I think, or words I utter, I have to be able to live with myself.
20-01-2017, 10:48 AM
(20-01-2017 07:32 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(19-01-2017 11:25 PM)Chas Wrote:  Someone who has shown the willingness to participate, i.e. not a drive-by, can post any stupid shit they want. I'm suggesting a drive-by filter.
Except that I do not know a sure way to detect a drive-by until after the fact. By definition, it is someone who posts once and then doesn't participate. I would say such people could have their account closed for that reason, but it can't happen until a week or so has passed (sometimes people do have personal stuff going on and their online access can be spotty).

They can also be shut down for obvious plagiarism. That last can be quickly determined via Google search or by putting a screed into one of the plagiarism detection services -- it could in theory even be automated. I can see an argument for making checking for unoriginal content a standard practice.

Although the fact that this same verbiage is on other sites does not prove that the same person posted them all, or even that the material is copyrighted, it does prove that the poster is not making the effort to post their own original thoughts as themselves, which is fundamentally dishonest and can not have a good ending for users here. Such people can and should be excluded.

I didn't claim it recognizes drive-bys. It makes the poster put in some effort and not just slap in the usual copypasta bullshit and flee the scene.

20-01-2017, 11:22 AM
(20-01-2017 10:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  I didn't claim it recognizes drive-bys. It makes the poster put in some effort and not just slap in the usual copypasta bullshit and flee the scene.
OK. It's all good. We're basically on the same page.

If I had more time on my hands I would enjoy hacking the code here to submit new posts to a plagiarism detection API. If most of a first or early post are copy-pasted, out they go without anyone having to even lift a finger.
[+] 1 user Likes mordant's post