Proof of God

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
20-01-2017, 02:55 PM
RE: Proof of God
(20-01-2017 11:22 AM)mordant Wrote:  
(20-01-2017 10:48 AM)Chas Wrote:  I didn't claim it recognizes drive-bys. It makes the poster put in some effort and not just slap in the usual copypasta bullshit and flee the scene.
OK. It's all good. We're basically on the same page.

If I had more time on my hands I would enjoy hacking the code here to submit new posts to a plagiarism detection API. If most of a first or early post are copy-pasted, out they go without anyone having to even lift a finger.

You could volunteer your services to the forum overlords management.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
22-01-2017, 01:54 PM
(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  This thread is for the purpose of addressing some the questions typically raised by atheists: Who or what is God? What demonstrable evidence can be presented for the existence of God? If God exists, why doesn't he prove it?
Isn't "Proof of God" antithetical to "Faith in God"?

If you had proof, you wouldn't have faith. You wouldn't need it - you'd have "fact".
Find all posts by this user
[+] 4 users Like JHaysPE's post
22-01-2017, 06:39 PM
(20-01-2017 02:55 PM)Chas Wrote:  
(20-01-2017 11:22 AM)mordant Wrote:  OK. It's all good. We're basically on the same page.

If I had more time on my hands I would enjoy hacking the code here to submit new posts to a plagiarism detection API. If most of a first or early post are copy-pasted, out they go without anyone having to even lift a finger.

You could volunteer your services to the forum overlords management.
I could, assuming this forum software's is owned or licensed by the site owners, or is open source. But I put in 60 hours this week as it is. That is why I said "if I had more time on my hands". That's the kind of thing I hope to do if I ever manage to retire. As it is right now I didn't even manage to get on the site to participate yesterday.

However it would pretty simple for any reasonably competent developer to do, and I hope some young turk or old fart (even older and definitely more retired than me) will see fit to do it as public service.
16-03-2017, 04:11 AM
Stating that "The Bible provides compelling evidence that God exists" holds the same amount of truth as saying "The Spiderman Comics provides compelling evidence that Spiderman exists." You cannot use a book as 'proof' as it is a circular argument. If the bible is your proof, how do you know its entirely true? If its not true then the proof has just collapsed in on itself.

Don't kid yourself that you're going to live again after you're dead; you're not. Make the most of the one life you've got. Live it to the full.
[+] 2 users Like psiclark's post
16-03-2017, 04:20 AM
(16-03-2017 04:11 AM)psiclark Wrote:  Stating that "The Bible provides compelling evidence that God exists" holds the same amount of truth as saying "The Spiderman Comics provides compelling evidence that Spiderman exists." You cannot use a book as 'proof' as it is a circular argument. If the bible is your proof, how do you know its entirely true? If its not true then the proof has just collapsed in on itself.

TL;DR version.

[Image: 998f1d9ad1788b5c3929b2d4caf81034.jpg]

[Image: E3WvRwZ.gif]
[+] 4 users Like EvolutionKills's post
16-03-2017, 04:34 AM
(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  This thread is for the purpose of addressing some the questions typically raised by atheists:

You know that many atheists???

Wow. Kudos!
Thumbsup

Who or what is God?

"Who are or what are the gods?

Next. Why do you think of a god as a single entity? From where and whence did it spring?

What demonstrable evidence can be presented for the existence of God?

Which god? Sterquilinus? Blink

If God exists, why doesn't he prove it?

He? Zeus?

The Bible is a very good place to provide a good answer.

Unlike you, I read it. Were there an answer, you would not need to post your thread.

In fact, one Bible verse covers it very well. In 21st century English, the passage reads...

"...what may be known about God is clearly evident among them, for God made it clear to them.  For his invisible qualities are clearly seen from the world’s creation onward, because they are perceived by the things made, even his eternal power and Godship,..." (Romans 1:19, 20).

Read the following 5 times. See if you get it.

"For his invisible qualities are clearly seen"

Thus perception plays a very important part in trying to offer an explanation concerning the Creator.

Well, according to your bible, the god of the Hebrews disagrees with your passage and interpretation.

Psalm 58:3 The wicked are estranged from the womb: they go astray as soon as they be born, speaking lies.

"You can't prove that there is a God."

Very true.

This kind of statement ignores that there are different kinds of 'proof'.

Really? What scientific articles have you published?

"Can you prove that there is a God?" asked Prof Lennox. "In the mathematical sense no, but proving anything is very difficult. The word proof has two meanings. There's the rigorous meaning in maths that is very difficult to do and rare. But then there's the other meaning – beyond reasonable doubt".

Have you tried to prove any god exists in a court of law?

That's the kind of 'proof' we can present: arguments to bring someone beyond reasonable doubt.

Not thus far. None of you has. Not in 5000 years.

Many, perhaps most, atheists would accept as proof of the existence of God only evidence they can see, feel, touch and take apart and reassemble in a laboratory setting. And, of course, that lab would have to be only where they would have unfettered access.

Sounds reasonable. Consider

So, let us reason a bit.

Okay....

How would I liken the Creator? Perhaps by looking at the problem in reverse. Let's look at the problem from God's point of view.

Which god? And you, a lowly human, can know the mind of a god???

Arrogance personified.

In Isaiah is a fitting description of the problem and with an element of reason comes understanding.

"There is One who dwells above the circle of the earth,
And its inhabitants are like grasshoppers...." Isaiah 40:22

BlinkBlinkBlink

Could you rightly expect a grasshopper to fully explain a human being or human accomplishments like the Hubble space telescope?

Of course not.

Or would you be humble enough to learn grasshopper speech and befriend them?

Can you teach me how to speak grasshopper???

Sounds foolish, correct?

Indeed. But you just said to look at it from a gods point of view. So you are contradicting yourself.

That is the dilemma.

That you contradict yourself?

Further on this line of thought is the difference between humans and chimpanzees is about one percent of DNA.

I think you should perhaps read this.

Oh that's enough of you.

Get an education. It'll help when you meet people from other countries who are far better educated than you.

NOTE: Member, Tomasia uses this site to slander other individuals. He then later proclaims it a joke, but not in public.
I will call him a liar and a dog here and now.
Banjo.
16-03-2017, 05:10 AM
God in action:

[Image: dod5sf1.gif]

...and Banjo, why da fuq you getting all heated over some random drive-by? Laugh out load

[Image: ZF1ZJ4M.jpg]
[+] 1 user Likes houseofcantor's post
06-04-2017, 10:51 PM
<sigh> I was looking forward to some friendly back and forth, and we got nothing but (yet) another proselytizing seagull.

Cleanup on aisle 3:16! Anybody got a wet paper towel?

Disappointing theists since 1968
[+] 3 users Like A. Secular Human's post
07-04-2017, 04:10 PM
Tim loves a good challenge so much his chicken-shit ass never came back.
07-04-2017, 04:33 PM
(18-01-2017 05:49 AM)Tim Wrote:  You can ask me and I promise to try and answer your questions using reason, logic and the Bible. I like a good challenge.

Can you get me a real, live Talking Snake™? Big Grin

I'm sorry, but your beliefs are much too silly to take seriously. Got anything else we can discuss?
[+] 3 users Like Astreja's post