Proof of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
12-10-2012, 05:16 PM
RE: Proof of Jesus?
Playing devil's advocate here.

Member of the Cult of Reason

The atheist is a man who destroys the imaginary things which afflict the human race, and so leads men back to nature, to experience and to reason.
-Baron d'Holbach-
Bitcion:1DNeQMswMdvx4xLPP6qNE7RkeTwXGC7Bzp
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
12-10-2012, 05:44 PM
Proof of Jesus?
(12-10-2012 05:16 PM)fstratzero Wrote:  Playing devil's advocate here.

Aren't we all the Devil's Advocates here? Evil_monster

It was just a fucking apple man, we're sorry okay? Please stop the madness Laugh out load
~Izel
13-10-2012, 06:57 PM
Question?
If archeologist found the body of jesus without question , would Christian's still worship the god of the Old Testament ? Give reasons either way.
14-10-2012, 04:31 AM
(13-10-2012 06:57 PM)cwbennett50 Wrote:  Question?
If archeologist found the body of jesus without question , would Christian's still worship the god of the Old Testament ? Give reasons either way.
Don't you mean Jews?

[Image: 7oDSbD4.gif]
[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
14-10-2012, 06:07 AM
No I mean Christians the way I understand it , the god of the new testament is the god of the Old Testament So do they fall back and wait for the messiah like the Jews or what?
14-10-2012, 06:29 AM
(14-10-2012 06:07 AM)cwbennett50 Wrote:  No I mean Christians the way I understand it , the god of the new testament is the god of the Old Testament So do they fall back and wait for the messiah like the Jews or what?
From a Christian perspective, there should be no reason to 'fall back and wait for the Messiah' in the scenario you described because of two simple reasons. Firstly, archeologists wouldn't be able to determine whether or not a 2000 years old corpse is that of a historical figure in the first place. And secondly, even if such a discovery was made, Christians wouldn't have to acknowledge it's validity, because their faith tells them that their Messiah rose from the dead and ascended to heaven. Consequently, whatever body is found by archeologists couldn't possibly be that of Jesus Christ.

[+] 1 user Likes Vosur's post
14-10-2012, 07:09 AM
It's only hypothetical christans don't have give up their warm blanket. I don't think they can consider a question like this anyway.
30-10-2012, 06:24 AM
Unfortunately, the atheist who asked for proof of any writings regarding Jesus to be writings that were written during the time of Jesus has gotten himself into a bit of a bad situation. Let me explain ...

Before the atheist can even ask for such proof, he must first prove that Jesus existed during the time in question. Since he is saying he wants proof of any writings regarding Jesus to be written during Jesus time, he must acknowledge as factual that Jesus actually existed during a specific time.

Isn't this just logical? Blink

He cannot logically win this argument.

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.
30-10-2012, 07:03 AM
(30-10-2012 06:24 AM)Free Wrote:  Unfortunately, the atheist who asked for proof of any writings regarding Jesus to be writings that were written during the time of Jesus has gotten himself into a bit of a bad situation. Let me explain ...

Before the atheist can even ask for such proof, he must first prove that Jesus existed during the time in question. Since he is saying he wants proof of any writings regarding Jesus to be written during Jesus time, he must acknowledge as factual that Jesus actually existed during a specific time.

What? Certainly not. All one has to do is look at the writings that mention Jesus and see if they were written during the time in which he supposedly existed

30-10-2012, 10:34 AM (This post was last modified: 30-10-2012 10:45 AM by Free.)
(30-10-2012 07:03 AM)Vosur Wrote:  
(30-10-2012 06:24 AM)Free Wrote:  Unfortunately, the atheist who asked for proof of any writings regarding Jesus to be writings that were written during the time of Jesus has gotten himself into a bit of a bad situation. Let me explain ...

What? Certainly not. All one has to do is look at the writings that mention Jesus and see if they were written during the time in which he supposedly existed

Supposedly?

That does not work, since anyone can say he "supposedly" existed at any given time.

The problem here is obvious:

Atheist: "You must prove the existence of Jesus by producing texts that were written about him during his lifetime."

Christian: "Sure, but first tell me the years that you claim he existed?"

Atheist: "He supposedly existed around AD 33."

Christian: "Supposedly? You don't even know for sure when he existed yet you want me to produce writings for a date you are not sure of?"

Atheist: "You Christians claim he existed around AD 33!"

Christian: "Personally, I don't claim anything, so produce the date he existed from historical records or your request is bogus."

Bowing

How can anyone become an atheist when we are all born with no beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were born this way.