Proof of Jesus?

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
19-11-2012, 06:47 PM
RE: Proof of Jesus?
Quote:Hell in all my years of debating this non existent character I never knew Trypho was a fake but it's going to take more than Wiki to prove it.

Well, it's never been prove per se, but the prose is clearly indicative of someone writing a work of fiction so that art imitates life.

I must admit, it was superbly done.

How can anyone become an atheist when we were all born with no religious beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
BORN THIS WAY
Find all posts by this user
Like Post Quote this message in a reply
20-11-2012, 08:02 AM
(19-11-2012 09:24 AM)Free Wrote:  
(19-11-2012 06:33 AM)houseofcantor Wrote:  Vigorous debate my ass. You two were slinging mud like a coupla politicos. And now it's all unicorns and glitter?

We've simply agreed to be civil for the purpose of furthering the points of the debate. Nothing gets accomplished with mud-slinging and ad hominems.

We've simply matured to higher criticism.
WTF you do that for? Evil_monster

[Image: klingon_zps7e68578a.jpg]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
20-11-2012, 09:27 PM
maturity is overrated. Drinking Beverage

bum.
tehehehe.

[Image: 3cdac7eec8f6b059070d9df56f50a7ae.jpg]
06-12-2012, 07:47 AM
(09-08-2012 01:47 PM)Observer Wrote:  They seem to be lacking realistic concept on what "writing" was all about in those days.

You can't draw parallels to 2012 where some people even know 4 languages.

People where ILLITERATE back then
Language was not a standard
It is EXTREMELY unlikely that anyone whose writing mattered even encountered the person(s) they called Jesus.
Agreed, Jesus has no existence outside third party hearsay......
06-12-2012, 07:51 AM
(06-12-2012 07:47 AM)Chase200mph Wrote:  
(09-08-2012 01:47 PM)Observer Wrote:  They seem to be lacking realistic concept on what "writing" was all about in those days.

It is EXTREMELY unlikely that anyone whose writing mattered even encountered the person(s) they called Jesus.
You got to give Paul some credit though (Paul was the guy behind the first Jesus writing, right?).

He invented the worlds most popular fiction character.

The people closely associated with the namesake of female canines are suffering from a nondescript form of lunacy.
06-12-2012, 07:55 AM
(06-12-2012 07:47 AM)Chase200mph Wrote:  

Almost: Paul's Jesus has no existence outside third party hearsay. And Paul's imagination.

Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
[Image: flagstiny%206.gif]
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
[+] 1 user Likes Chas's post
06-12-2012, 10:09 AM
(06-12-2012 07:55 AM)Chas Wrote:  
(06-12-2012 07:47 AM)Chase200mph Wrote:  Agreed, Jesus has no existence outside third party hearsay......

Almost: Paul's Jesus has no existence outside third party hearsay. And Paul's imagination.
True...so true. John most likely wrote Paul, but then again there was no real John.
08-12-2012, 11:38 AM (This post was last modified: 08-12-2012 01:17 PM by Free.)
I wonder what the odds are that 4 different Gospel writers, Paul, Apostolic Fathers, Josephus, Tacitus, and other writers in the NT from the 1st century all imagined the exact same guy by the name of Jesus who was crucified by Pontius Pilate?

Since I find that none of these writers refer to each other's writings (aside from the Synoptic and Apostolic Fathers) I think we could use a logical and reasonable explanation supported by textual evidence that could provide a better argument for Jesus being a total myth than for existence.

Nobody can say with certainty whether or not Jesus existed or was a total myth, but the argument for existence is certainly far better than the argument for total myth.

Honestly guys, the mythology argument needs to adequately dispute existence, and so far, I have not seen one good argument to dispute it. I see plenty of assertion, supposition, and tons of logical fallacies and lack of reasoning, but not once in 30 years have I seen a good solid argument for total mythology on this subject.

My position remains as it is:

Somebody named Jesus who was regarded as the Christ by many Jews was crucified by Pontius Pilate sometime in the 1st half of the 1st century.

Whoever he was is an entirely different argument.

How can anyone become an atheist when we were all born with no religious beliefs in the first place? We are atheists because we were ...
BORN THIS WAY
[+] 1 user Likes Free's post
19-12-2012, 05:35 PM
Well yell at me if I don't get back to on this by this weekend because Jesus never was.......
20-12-2012, 11:46 AM
(19-12-2012 05:35 PM)Chase200mph Wrote:  Well yell at me if I don't get back to on this by this weekend because Jesus never was.......

No one will yell at you, and you may be right, but the argument for his existence is far greater than the argument for non existence.

BORN THIS WAY